Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone ordered the new Epson P10K or P20K?  (Read 3177 times)

iCanvas

Anyone ordered the new Epson P10K or P20K?
« on: April 28, 2016, 10:20:51 am »

These are supposed to be shipping within the next few days. Anyone ordered one? Would love some feedback from first time users.

Gar

iCanvas

Re: Anyone ordered the new Epson P10K or P20K?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 07:54:53 am »

Well, it appears that the Epson P10000 and P20000 are not shipping till the end of June. They were suppose to be available in the beginning of May. Anyone know why?

Gar

iCanvas

A nice video on the P10000
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 08:05:46 am »

Also here is a nice Video on the new printers on YouTube,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doc318ig2JU

Gar

nihil

• http://erlendmork.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 10:07:35 am »

I've been using the P20000 for a few weeks. And the P9000 for ~5 months. Making ICC-profiles for the P20000 right now.   ;)
Erlend Mørk
[url=http://www.erlendmork.c

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 03:04:56 pm »

Tell us about the bw linearity and highlight detail on the P20000 with both PK and Mk blacks.

john

I've been using the P20000 for a few weeks. And the P9000 for ~5 months. Making ICC-profiles for the P20000 right now.   ;)

iCanvas

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 04:16:59 pm »

Well, are you pleased with it? How does it compare with the P90000? Would like to know how prints from the both printers compare. Of course, after you make your ICC-profiles for the P10000.

Gar

nihil

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 11:22:30 am »

Sorry for the late reply! I'm quite satisfied with both printers, especially because of the new deeper blacks. The differences between P9000 and P20000 is what you'd expect in regards to the extra green and orange in the P9000, just like with the previous generation. The extra grey ink in the P20000 hardly matters to me. (I don't do that much b/w anyway) Slightly lesser gloss differential in some highlights, but I will spray my glossy prints anyway to get rid of it all. I'd much rather have a green ink personally. (and how about a gloss optimizer this century?  >:()

I haven't timed it, but my impression is that the P20000 is very fast. I also love the ease of mounting wide rolls: Resting the roll on the supports on top of the printer while attaching the end pieces. Then just sliding everything in place.

Some negative points on the P20000:
- I've seen some weird horizontal "banding" problems in black areas approximately 3 inches from the end of sheets, on matte media, printing on 1200dpi. Sort of like what happens when you run out of ink in the middle of a print, you spend 2 minutes changing a cartridge and the printer resumes, but you end up with a cm of uneven shadow areas.. This does not happen with 2400dpi, so I've been using that. I haven't spoken to Epson or researched this issue much further,  because the extra time used for 2400dpi is mostly fine with me. I'll look more into it though.
- When loading sheets/rolls (which is very smooth/foolproof with this printer) the printer takes a minute getting ready, which is not very entertaining, so I'm back at the PC. But after hitting "Print" I have to return to the printer to confirm the media setting. Hitting OK for every damn sheet. This is not a big issue though..
- I'm 360ppi for the other Epsons, but the P20000 wants 300ppi. So I have to prepare separate print files. Again, not a big issue.

I think that both printers delivers excellent quality (but so did the previous few generations imho). And that's what's important to me, I can deal with a few nuissances.
Erlend Mørk

deanwork

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 12:21:29 pm »

Are you printing uni-directional or bi-directional? Have you calibrated the printer for linearity or is that done from the factory? The head alignment definitely makes a difference.

If you are printing uni, that banding would be unacceptable to me, especially with a totally new printhead like that. That is the kind of thing that happens when heads are wearing out.  My friend had that problem with a brand new 9900 and it took Epson months of replacing parts to make it work correctly. Apparently it was some kind of ink pressure issue to the heads. You really shouldn't see that kind of thing at bi-directional either, that with these mature technologies.

If it were me I would have the tech over there sooner rather than later as these kinds of issues typically get worse over time. I'd be on record as having issues in the beginning while still in warranty.

The only reason I would be going for the P10000 would be the extra light light gray. It should be  quite  a noticeable improvement to dimensionality of monochrome in the high values especially and combined with the new black. If not then one would have to wait for QTR to support it. I would love to have one if it does what it is supposed to do, but I'll be waiting for six months at least until the verdict on all this is in.

john

- I've seen some weird horizontal "banding" problems in black areas approximately 3 inches from the end of sheets, on matte media, printing on 1200dpi. Sort of like what happens when you run out of ink in the middle of a print, you spend 2 minutes changing a cartridge and the printer resumes, but you end up with a cm of uneven shadow areas.. This does not happen with 2400dpi, so I've been using that. I haven't spoken to Epson or researched this issue much further,  because the extra time used for 2400dpi is mostly fine with me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:26:41 pm by deanwork »

nihil

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 04:02:48 pm »

Are you printing uni-directional or bi-directional? Have you calibrated the printer for linearity or is that done from the factory? The head alignment definitely makes a difference.
I'm printing uni-directionally. I haven't done any printer calibrations. (I would assume it's done from the factory..?) I've tested media settings and made ICC-profiles only. I might not be able to answer all your questions since I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as some of the other guys in here, who I'm sure will review these printers properly very soon ;)
Erlend Mørk

narikin

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 11:43:06 am »

Hi - a few months more usage, so, any update on the P20000 at all?

I will almost certainly get one, just a little aggrieved at the loss of Gamut by dropping simply to 8 inks (many of which are iterations of black/grey). They've rather over-emphasized B&W printing, at the cost of color gamut, imho, as 95% of the prints made on XL 64" machines are color, it's a strange decision.

(plus Epson make money selling ink, so more is... more in this case!)

Farmer

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 06:03:21 pm »

8 inks?  The P10000/P20000 series have 10 inks.  C, LC, VM, Y, VLM, LG, G, DG, PK, MK, of which you'll use 9 for any given print (unless you're using a RIP and really want PK and MK, which can you can, since it's a 10 channel head.

The grey / light black (as it was previously) inks aren't just for b/w output - far from it.  Yes, you have one more than in previous models but that's really not for improved b/w (though it will help there, too).  Of course the gamut will change, but it simply depends on what you're printing and on what substrate as to what impact that may have.  A change in gamut doesn't necessarily mean better or worse results - just different.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up