Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony 85 1.4 GM and A7RII Iris bug, a word of warning  (Read 3979 times)

flashfredrikson

Sony 85 1.4 GM and A7RII Iris bug, a word of warning
« on: April 28, 2016, 07:52:49 am »

Hey LuLa,

today I was the proud owner of the new 85mm GM for my A7RII. At least for an hour, then the proudness vanished and a couple hours later I took the lens back to the shop.
The problem is the iris. It does not open up for focussing like any other lens on any dslr does. Or as my FE 55 does on the A7RII. This makes this lens not really usable for me. If you like or have to stop down your lens (somtimes this bokeh thing might not be for you, it isn't for me) and that maybe even in a dimly lit studio or at night, be prepared for ridiculously slow AF and a grainy, laggy viewfinder. Don't even think about using manual focus at say f11, you will never know where you actually focus.
This happens in any mode, it happens with that effect setting on or off. The iris just stays where you put it. And yes, I have firmware 3.2 on my camera.
We tried a second lens on a different body, same same, so my dealer immediately tried to call Sony but no one answered the phone :)
As this behaviour is not acceptable to me at all, I returned the lens. Maybe Sony can fix that with a firmware update, maybe not.

If you are only shooting wide open, nothing of this will matter to you and other than that it is a great lens, ergonomics are fantastic and the AF works really well. When enough light hits the sensor. I was kind of sad to give the lens back but I am also sick of being a beta tester.

cheers,
martin

ctz

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Re: Sony 85 1.4 GM and A7RII Iris bug, a word of warning
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:03:42 am »

Will be fixed soon I guess.

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

JaapD

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 05:48:29 am »

……or could it be done intentionally by Sony, for instance due to focus shift errors? The error/bug looks so obvious as I expect Sony to have seen it themselves way before releasing the product. Beware that this remark is purely speculative as I don’t possess this camera and lens. Let’s wait and see Sony’s response to this.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 07:11:13 pm »

This issue was also reported by Lloyd Chambers I believe.

Leaving this issue aside, this lens is extremely tempting and appears to be the best AF 85mm available. It is the first time I am attracted to the Sony system thanks to a lens, ok, together with the new Voigtlander 15mm.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 09:37:39 am »

This issue was also reported by Lloyd Chambers I believe.

Leaving this issue aside, this lens is extremely tempting and appears to be the best AF 85mm available. It is the first time I am attracted to the Sony system thanks to a lens, ok, together with the new Voigtlander 15mm.

Cheers,
Bernard

This lens is tempting but is completely electroslave. I seen some samples of the old pentax FA 85 f1.4 on the K1 and I find it superior... even to the Nikkor or the Zeiss.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |
Pages: [1]   Go Up