Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Honoring Women in Photography  (Read 16138 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Honoring Women in Photography
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2016, 12:25:31 am »

Or Ray can visit her website to see more of her work for free (nice work actually which is why she won her trip to Antarctica)...
Michele Sons' The Feminine Landscape

Ray

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2016, 12:46:06 am »

So, you don't see the juxtaposition of a lovely girl in a harsh environment? That was her friggin' point!!!!

I think Patricia has it right...a bunch of old (likely white) guys passing judgement on the younger generation...boy, it sucks being old but it's better than the alternative...

Of course I see the juxtaposition, otherwise how could I comment on it. You're being silly.

As I mentioned, photos are generally expected to stand on their own, without requiring elaborate verbal descriptions of the circumstances, unless they are of historical interest of course.

I'm rather concerned for the young lady. She looks as though she might trip over a boulder or slip on the gravel on her way back to the helicopter, or 4WD as the case may be.

I'm not passing judgement. I'm sharing with you my reaction to the photo. What's your problem?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2016, 01:17:38 am »

Hi Darr,

It took some effort to find the text you have quoted. As usual, you make a very good point.

I have checked out Michele Sons's gallery a bit more, and there are quite a few great pictures in "The Feminine Landscape" project. I like the one below a bit more than the others:

Getting back to the original image, would it be one of those ads for Profoto with a female model in black lava environment it would not considered in any way unnatural. Now that we have a lady positioning herself as the subject in a similar environment it evokes reaction. We may be elderly but perhaps still not grown up?

Doing self portraits in landscape is not an easy thing. Takes a lot of knowledge. The image I linked to is a great example of that.

Best regards
Erik

"Ever since I started my formal education in photography, I have had a tremendous respect for women photographers.  Men dominated the field in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s but that has changed drastically since then.  With the advent of the digital camera, photography became a lot easier for anyone with a desire to take good pictures."

This is a most chauvinistic statement. This honors women? I am insulted and will stop there.
This site is ran by a bunch of old men; very old men.

No more funds from me.
Erik Kaffehr

Schewe

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2016, 01:23:44 am »

What's your problem?

That your OP was totally out of context with what the photographer was trying to do...did you actually look at her website? Did you see her body of work? Do you have a friggin' clue what she is trying to do?

Your sudo-concern about her welfare is massively chauvinistic...to pretend you are concerned for her wellbeing is actually rather offensive to me and probably to her. Oh dear me, how can she expose herself to such hardships for the sake of photography...somebody save her from herself!!!!

Ray

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2016, 02:07:22 am »

That your OP was totally out of context with what the photographer was trying to do...did you actually look at her website? Did you see her body of work? Do you have a friggin' clue what she is trying to do?

Your sudo-concern about her welfare is massively chauvinistic...to pretend you are concerned for her wellbeing is actually rather offensive to me and probably to her. Oh dear me, how can she expose herself to such hardships for the sake of photography...somebody save her from herself!!!!

Jeff,
Don't you understand the concept that a photo should be able to stand on its own merit? I was perfectly honest in informing readers that I hadn't read the text of the article. When you hang a photo on your wall, do you always include a text describing what you were attempting to achieve when taking the photo?

From my perspective, the photo is of a completely anonymous woman posing in a rugged landscape that looks as though it is miles from anywhere. There's no indication that it is a self-portrait, so it seems perfectly natural to me to wonder what on earth is a woman doing in such an environment, dressed as she is.

Is she just foolish, or was she on the way to a party by helicopter, then on the spur of the moment asked the pilot to land at a particular spot on the way, so she could admire the view and have her photo taken?

These are the sorts of thoughts about the photo that anyone might have who is considering just the photo alone, without a lot of background information.

Schewe

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2016, 02:18:18 am »

Jeff,
Don't you understand the concept that a photo should be able to stand on its own merit?

Uh yeah...and I think her shot stands on its' own (even if you don't) but any single image stands also with a body of work that relates to the single image. If you view her website you would see this single image fits quite nicely in the body of her work and the fact she won a trip to Antarctica kinda elevates that shot even further...face it bud, you screwed the pooch and now you are just dog paddling try to arrive at a graceful death. Just quit posting an this thread so it will die. If you keep trying to justify your posts, you will keep getting eviscerated.

Ray

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2016, 02:25:03 am »

Uh yeah...and I think her shot stands on its' own (even if you don't) but any single image stands also with a body of work that relates to the single image. If you view her website you would see this single image fits quite nicely in the body of her work and the fact she won a trip to Antarctica kinda elevates that shot even further...face it bud, you screwed the pooch and now you are just dog paddling try to arrive at a graceful death. Just quit posting an this thread so it will die. If you keep trying to justify your posts, you will keep getting eviscerated.

Fortunately I don't have a big ego as you appear to have, so I don't worry about being eviscerated. The rationality of my arguments can stand on their own.  ;)

Ray

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2016, 02:32:01 am »

Hi Darr,

It took some effort to find the text you have quoted. As usual, you make a very good point.

I have checked out Michele Sons's gallery a bit more, and there are quite a few great pictures in "The Feminine Landscape" project. I like the one below a bit more than the others:

Getting back to the original image, would it be one of those ads for Profoto with a female model in black lava environment it would not considered in any way unnatural. Now that we have a lady positioning herself as the subject in a similar environment it evokes reaction. We may be elderly but perhaps still not grown up?

Doing self portraits in landscape is not an easy thing. Takes a lot of knowledge. The image I linked to is a great example of that.

Best regards
Erik

That's certainly a spectacular image, Erik, and sand is very nice to walk on, unlike hard stones. In a dessert like that one could be totally nude and it wouldn't be inappropriate.  ;)

I wonder where the helicopter is?   ;)

stamper

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2016, 03:49:18 am »

C'mon now, John. I'm not criticising her right to take the photo. It just strikes me a bit odd and a bit ridiculous to be dressed that way in a rugged, natural environment. That's the impression I got. Is it not perfectly natural for someone to verbalize an impression?

Perhaps such an impression comes more naturally to me than to others because I've spent a lot of time trekking in rugged terrain over the years.

Has anyone thought about the possibility that she wasn't even there? Copy and pasted into the scene in Photoshop?

stamper

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2016, 03:52:07 am »

Fortunately I don't have a big ego as you appear to have, so I don't worry about being eviscerated. The rationality of my arguments can stand on their own.  ;)

Ray, there isn't any rationality in your arguments. Before posting did you reflect on the content before hitting the post button or is this whole thread a stirring exercise? :(

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2016, 03:53:05 am »

That's certainly a spectacular image, Erik, and sand is very nice to walk on, unlike hard stones. In a dessert like that one could be totally nude and it wouldn't be inappropriate.  ;)

I wonder where the helicopter is?   ;)

So in this one (the desert photo) you would not be concerned that she would burn her feet on the hot sand, or get heat stroke, she could even be nude... this is getting laughable...

Ray

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2016, 05:57:43 am »

So in this one (the desert photo) you would not be concerned that she would burn her feet on the hot sand, or get heat stroke, she could even be nude... this is getting laughable...

No. I have assumed that such a lady would not do this if the sand were unbearably hot. Desert temperatures are not unbearably hot all the time, and the very long shadow in the sand indicates that the time of day this shot was taken was probably early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Did you not notice the shadow? If not, then that's what's laughable.  ;D

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2016, 06:42:50 am »

This is a most chauvinistic statement. This honors women? I am insulted and will stop there.
This site is ran by a bunch of old men; very old men.

No more funds from me.

That statement didn't sound chauvinistic to me, but it's interpretation in the above post is grotesquely warped.
This site is indeed ran by a bunch of old men, they have done it for many years and amazingly well. In fact, they leave in dust all other sites, ran by younger men and women.
Well, compared to Justin Bieber or Justin Trudeau they can't move as fast and their hair is much lighter, but in comparison to the best and finest surviving presidential candidates they seems to be just in the right age range. And that applies both to the male and female contingent in the big circus. 

Kevin For President!

jwstl

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2016, 11:39:34 am »

... this is getting laughable...

Which I believe is actually his point. After reading all of his comments/opinions regarding the image in question, I have no doubt it's a joke and meant to "stir the pot" as they say. No one is as dense while still be well spoken as he appears to be.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2016, 11:44:50 am »

Ray, there isn't any rationality in your arguments. Before posting did you reflect on the content before hitting the post button or is this whole thread a stirring exercise? :(
Well put, Stamper!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2016, 03:08:36 pm »

Which I believe is actually his point. After reading all of his comments/opinions regarding the image in question, I have no doubt it's a joke and meant to "stir the pot" as they say. No one is as dense while still be well spoken as he appears to be.

I'm not sure that's a joke, Ray seems very serious in his posts. But I recall seeing a similar and a quite difficult photograph posted here a few years ago (Post #172 in the thread below).  The composition was nice, but the environment seemed totally inappropriate for a woman in such a dress and with bare feet. She must have been helicoptered to that site.

Hot woman in a cold valley
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:13:13 pm by LesPalenik »

Ray

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2016, 06:58:17 pm »

What that statement really means, Stamper,  is that there isn't any rationality in your head, regarding my argument.  ;)

Ray

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2016, 07:55:26 pm »

I'm not sure that's a joke, Ray seems very serious in his posts. But I recall seeing a similar and a quite difficult photograph posted here a few years ago (Post #172 in the thread below).  The composition was nice, but the environment seemed totally inappropriate for a woman in such a dress and with bare feet. She must have been helicoptered to that site.

Hot woman in a cold valley

Thanks for the link to that old thread, Les. I assure you if anyone had criticised that photo on the grounds of inappropriate dress for the surroundings, I would not have jumped into a flurry of indignation and engaged in ad hominem attacks.

I'm not really interested in just praising every photo I comment on, as most people seem to do. That's not what critique is about.

The image you link to needs reprocessing. It was a long time ago. I'd make the foreground brighter were I to process it today. I think it's pretty obvious, even excluding the context of the article about photographic manipulation, that the photo is a joke. The kangaroo was inserted at your suggestion, to create a better balance.  ;D

However, I do prefer the Himalaya Dawn scene, shown on the first page of the thread. I now have a 4ft x 12ft polyptych print of that image on my wall, but without the nude ladies (?), because inserting them into the scene was also just a joke to highlight the potential absurdity of photographic manipulation.

Now, if Michele Son's photo that I've commented on, is also intended as a joke, then why not just say so, and I will admit my lack of perception in this regard.

Dohmnuill

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2016, 09:19:28 pm »

I'm a little late to this party, but I'm sure I've not seen the name of one of the greats: Laura Gilpin.

Surely a person who produces The Prairie (1917) deserves a place near the very top of the tree.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up