Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New ColorChecker Passport vs. Old ColorChecker Classic?  (Read 12507 times)

xpatUSA

• Blog
Re: New ColorChecker Passport vs. Old ColorChecker Classic?
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 01:41:37 pm »

I got a new Xrite ColorChecker Passport. Shot it side-by-side with my 10+ year old ColorChecker Classic. Daylight, highly diffused dull overcast day. Very even lighting. ACR White Balance came out about 6250/+25. Plus or minus 100.

Both charts generate the same WB, but there are differences in the color patches. Faint differences, but easily visible on screen.

In the dcamprof documentation, Torger says Xrite changed the colors in November, 2014, so I assumed that explained the differences I'm seeing. But after some Googling, I can't find any confirmation of that. In fact, I've only found only 4 sources for the numerical reference values of the CC24. They all match, but they are all dated prior to 2014.

I sent an e-mail to Xrite over 10 days ago asking where I can find new reference charts. No reply. Xrite is one of the sources I found, but the only chart they show is dated 1/22/2010, updated 4/20/2012.

So, can anyone show confirmation that a new passport is really different than an old classic? Anybody know where there are post-2014 reference charts (LAB values)?

A good place to look is Danny Pascale's articles on the subject at BabelColor.com.

Various card types, old and new, are measured and compared complete with two kinds of delta-E values.
best regards,

Ted

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 07:21:00 pm »

It seems like spotread doesn't support it in the current 1.8.3 version.
Wrong tool. Use chartread with the ref/ColorChecker.ti2 file, something like:

chartread -p ColorChecker

if you are not using a SpectroScan, or leave out -p if you are. Add -n if you don't want spectral values. You may then need to rename and/or
slightly edit the resulting .ti3 file, depending on your ultimate purpose.

(This is noted here: http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Scenarios.html#PS3)

AlterEgo

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 08:32:49 pm »

A good place to look is Danny Pascale's articles on the subject at BabelColor.com.

Various card types, old and new, are measured and compared complete with two kinds of delta-E values.

with the fine print - measurements averaged from the data submitted by users... and the more I read the less I trust people out there ( not to mention myself  ;D )

AlterEgo

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 08:44:39 pm »

Wrong tool.

actually spotread is perfectly fine to read camera target patches when you measure manually... I read into a file and then manually (excel) average, check/discard clear outliers and put the data into CGATS file...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up