Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Door to Nowhere  (Read 5005 times)

rodgerd

• http://diaspora.gen.nz/~rodgerd/
Door to Nowhere
« on: May 23, 2006, 10:52:37 pm »

This caught my eye while wandering about.

(Click on thumbnail for large version)

JRandallNichols

Door to Nowhere
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 08:18:51 pm »

I love "caught my eye" shots, perhaps because there is almost always a narrative that runs in the photographer's mind behind them.  They are private moments, in a way, not to be admired as great images so much as shared (or sneaked!) perceptions.

Here, I am helped by a radical cropping to focus on what caught your eye--the "doorway to nowhere."  Compositionally, the lines of the image--diagonals, verticals, horizontals, and the general sense of decay are a very attractive combination, but I think lost in the larger view with all its distractions.

Thanks for this!
Randy

JRandallNichols

Door to Nowhere
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 08:22:14 pm »

Oops!  Sorry, don't know where the garbage came from.  Here is a new version.
Randy

photographist

• Dancing with Light Photography
Door to Nowhere
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 08:38:08 am »

You know… I’m not sure a tighter crop speaks to me as much as the more encompassing one.  From the perspective of an urban abstract, I’d like the 2nd image (cropped) better.  However, I feel that there is much to the “story” around the image that is lost be cropping so tightly.   The bear of the issue is that if you leave it wide… it is somewhat cluttered if the door is the focus… If you crop, you’ve got a nice architectural abstract with color, angles and lines of flow.  

I honestly don’t know where the middle ground is here.  If there was a way to leave the original crop largly intact, but provide emphasis by focus, color, highlights/shadow, etc for the door, it may work better from the story perspective.

Frankly, I too love the “Found Moments” kind of shot.  They are highly personal and are often a bit of a laugh for me personally.  That said, it’s great when someone else looks at the image and you can tell from their expression and/or comments that they “… saw it …” too.

‘nough said…  Thank you for sharing your image!
Pages: [1]   Go Up