Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: looking for tripod lens collar for Hassy 350mm CF  (Read 1321 times)

jng

looking for tripod lens collar for Hassy 350mm CF
« on: April 26, 2016, 09:23:07 pm »

I recently acquired a Hassy V system 350mm f/5.6 CF Tele-Tessar and, as expected, it is heavy with a lot of weight sitting at the front of the lens that causes it to sag when mounted on the camera body affixed to a tripod. I'm therefore looking for a tripod lens collar. Kirk used to sell one but it's been long discontinued. There's a company called dslrkit that sells a dedicated lens collar that I've ordered but I'm frankly unsure about the build quality. In the meantime, I've been rummaging around the web it seems that the Canon tripod mount "D" ring made for the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM might fit, but the numbers I've seen for the ring's interior diameter run anywhere between 68 and 72mm. The Hassy's lens barrel diameter is 71mm on the nose. I realize that a perfect fit is needed for the collar to do its job, but if it's only a little bit loose I can probably shim it up with some tape or felt.

If there's anyone out there with either the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro (must be the "L" version) or the D ring, would you mind measuring the diameter of the lens barrel (or the inner diameter of the tripod collar) and letting me know?

Any other suggestions for solutions or work-arounds are welcome as well. Thanks!

John

TimoK

Re: looking for tripod lens collar for Hassy 350mm CF
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 01:54:18 am »

The outer diameter of Canon 100mm IS L macro is 69mm.
I have not original "D" ring but cheapo plastic tripod mount,  which is maybe possibly to install on 71mm lens with a little bit power but it will be very tight. I can adjust mounting ring's inner diameter between 68 and 72mm, but then the opening is not round shaped but elliptical. The longer diameter of ellips max 72mm, the shorter 68mm. Then comes the power in.
Very probably this ring is too small to Tele-Tessar.

jng

Re: looking for tripod lens collar for Hassy 350mm CF
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 02:16:15 am »

Thanks for the info! It seems that I'll need to find a dedicated collar after all...

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up