Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for Portrait Lighting Books?  (Read 3331 times)

Steve Miller

Recommendations for Portrait Lighting Books?
« on: May 23, 2006, 03:42:21 pm »

I've been shooting photos for 30 years (digital since 2000) and want to expand my horizons and understand studio lighting. Are there any must read books on the subject? Good starting places on the web?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Steve

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 10:13:03 am »

I have found "Light science and Magic" from Fil Hunter and Paul Fuqua to be a great reference on lighting.

Portrait is only a small part of it, and there are probably more specialized books that offer more examples of what can be done, but this reference provides very solid basics on lighting and might be a good place where to start from.

It doesn't really cover the specifics of digital shooting though, but 95% is still completely relevant.

Regards,
Bernard

Steve Miller

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 08:32:29 pm »

I have found "Light science and Magic" from Fil Hunter and Paul Fuqua to be a great reference on lighting.

Portrait is only a small part of it, and there are probably more specialized books that offer more examples of what can be done, but this reference provides very solid basics on lighting and might be a good place where to start from.

It doesn't really cover the specifics of digital shooting though, but 95% is still completely relevant.

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66446\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bernard,

Thanks for the suggestion. Light - Science and Magic seems like a great resource and something I will definitely eventually read. Given that I'm two-thirds of the way through Bruce Fraser's Real World Color Management, I think I need a break from the super intensive, heavy theory type of book. With that in mind, I'm starting off with Lighting for Portrait Photography by Steve Bavister, but am still very interested in other lighting books that photographers on this site recommend.

Thanks again,

Steve

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 02:07:25 am »

....but am still very interested in other lighting books that photographers on this site recommend.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66593\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I found the book "Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers" by Christopher Grey to be an good introduction to portrait lightning. Lots of example pictures with diagrams on how all lighting was set up to get the picture.
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

Steve Miller

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 07:06:39 am »

I found the book "Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers" by Christopher Grey to be an good introduction to portrait lightning. Lots of example pictures with diagrams on how all lighting was set up to get the picture.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66610\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ronny,

Just took a look at it on Amazon. I agree, it looks like it should be helpful. It's on its way.

Thanks,

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up