Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One XF-100 initial/rolling impressions  (Read 18293 times)

william

Phase One XF-100 initial/rolling impressions
« on: April 26, 2016, 03:17:43 pm »

(Note first that these early impressions don't contain any substantive comment upon the image quality of the 100 mpx back: it's far too early for me to have real impressions of image quality, noise, sharpness, etc.  All looks quite good on that front at first glance)

I received the XF-100 and a few lenses last week.  Initial impressions:

(1) It looks and feels like a modernized Contax 645.  I love the Contax, so for me, this is a good thing.

(2) Build quality is excellent, with a few minor exceptions.  It's 99% good news: the body/back feel crafted from a solid hunk of metal, there's no play/looseness in any of the parts, the metal lens hoods are welcome (the plastic hoods with the Leica S lenses are one of my pet peeves), the lenses all feel solid and fall nicely to hand.  The build quality exceptions I've noticed thus far are:

(a) the body's battery cover door feels flimsy/like it would break off if you set the camera down with the battery cover unintentionally left open (that may or may not be true: I'm just saying it feels that way because the hing feels pretty loose and fairly thin).  I think I've gotten spoiled by the integral latch mechanism of the Leica S.

(b) My batteries are getting stuck in the body. (I'm working with my dealer and Phase on this: it's either that my body or my batteries are slightly out of spec/either the body cavity is slightly too small or the batteries are slightly too large).

(3) Viewfinder: Quite good, but not the very best eye-level viewfinder I've ever used: that distinction belongs to the Leica S.  The XF viewfinder is slightly (just slightly) dimmer to my eye than the Leica S, and it's magnification appears to be slightly less (i.e., there's a slight but noticeable tunnel effect such that when looking through the viewfinder, objects appear slightly smaller than they are in real life, whereas the Leica viewfinder is (or at least appears to my eye to be) much more of a 1-to-1 magnification. 

(4) Waist-level finder: Works great, all metal.  The focusing aid on the handgrip when you switch the layout to "waist-level" is helpful, but I doubt I'll use it much.  I'll either rely on the ground glass, the optical pop-up magnifier, or the AF confirm beep.

(5) Autofocus: fairly snappy for a medium format camera.  It's at least as fast as the Leica S.  Initial impression is that it's marginally better at achieving focus lock more quickly than the Leica S.  In terms of accuracy (hitting focus where I intend), it's been reasonably good but not perfect. I am not at all yet sure how much of that is user error: I very much still need to become more adept at how to get the focus point to land optimally and how/when to use the wider AF point versus the smaller spot AF point. I also still need to calibrate all the lenses.  All that said, I'd say I'm at 80-90% AF accuracy, depending on lighting conditions. As to manual focus, I do have one complaint, which is that the lenses (unlike the Leica S) do not have full time manual focus override: you have to physically flip the switch from AF to MF.

(6) Start-up time: Not good.  I did a count --  not scientific, just "one Mississippi, two Mississippi..." -- last night of how long it took from "power button press" to "ready to shoot", and I got to 7 Mississippis (7 seconds).  THat's just way too long.  It's about twice as long as my Leica S (which is itself a lot longer than my Nikon D800, which is nearly instantaneous).   I assume the long start up time is due in part to the automatic "disk check" and I'm sure I can turn that off (I recall seeing references to it in the manual).  But there appears to be something else happening on startup that's eating up precious seconds, something relating to a flashing battery and lens symbol in the viewfinder/on the top handgrip.  Again, I haven't read the manual in enough detail to know everything that's happening upon startup and how I can mitigate it, but whatever it is:ready to shoot time from from power off is too slow.  As I recall, it is very slightly faster from sleep to ready to shoot, but not much.  Phase should work on this.

(7) User interface: Brilliant.  Let me explain, though:

One can access a multitude of settings from the back (touch screen or hard keys), the grip (two hard keys and dials) or the touch screen on the top of the grip.  For me personally, there's way too much going on via the menu on the back (whether via touch or hard keys).  I suppose this may be ameliorated over time as I use it more/dive into the users' manual, so I'll know intellectually and intuitively what settings are where.  As a new user though, I just basically randomly push buttons/icons until I get where I want to be.  Too complicated.  Accessing the settings via the two hard keys on the grip and the wheels and dials is also too fiddly: everything's there, but I have to think about it too much.

The part that's brilliant is having all of your shooting settings accessible via (1) the dials and (2) the touch screen on the top of the grip.  ISO, aperture, and shutter speed are all changeable via the three dials that fall to forefinger and thumb, which is great.  Everything else you'd use for shooting -- mirror up, drive mode (single, continuous, self-timer, vibration delay, etc), AF mode, exposure comp, metering mode, battery and card status -- are all accessible via a single touch on the relevant icon on the top touch screen.  It's hard to explain verbally how intuitive that is for a shooter, but having used it, it's hard to imagine not having it but instead having to dive through the menus on the rear of a camera's screen.  Having them there in the position you'd normally be looking at a camera while shooting (i.e., looking down from the top rather than rotating the camera (if hand held) or crouching down (if on a tripod) to see the rear screen) is fabulous.

(Eight) (I had to write out the word eight because the hypertext on this site kept changing the number to a smiley-face with sunglasses! 8) Ergonomics: excellent.  Everything falls naturally to hand, and the shape of the handgrip combined with the rubbery/non-slip covering made it very easy to handhold.  This thing is heavy, though!  Even with the 80mm or 110mmm attached, both of which are pretty small lenses by medium format standards.  I still think Phase should make a vertical grip, but not solely for ergonomic reasons: surprisingly, at least to me, it's very comfortable to hold vertically without a vertical grip (because the left side of the body, which is the side that rests in your left hand when shooting vertically, is flat, meaning you take the vast majority of the weight in your cupped left hand rather than trying to support it via the grip in your right hand).  The reason I think Phase should make a vertical grip is because it'll marginally improve ergonomics during long sessions, but also that there's currently no way to separate the AF function of the secondary shutter release (on the front of the body) from the shutter activation function.  When held horizontally, I have AF on the thumb button and shutter release only on the shutter release button.  The secondary shutter button can't be configured that way.  A vertical grip with two buttons (thumb and forefinger) would solve this.  Just updating the firmware to allow the secondary shutter release to be configured for shutter release only wouldn't fully solve this, because when held vertically in a way that allows your forefinger to touch the secondary shutter release, your thumb can't reach the thumb button on the body.

(9) Live view: Didn't use it yet. I'm not really a live view shooter, but I suppose I'll check it out eventually.

(10) Bugs/issues: I noticed a few:

(a) Sometimes when initiating image playback, I would get a "no files found" message.  It would eventually after a few seconds play the images, so I assume this is just an error due to the fact that it takes a few seconds for them to "load" for review.  But still, it freaked me out....

(b) The image review zoom function is useful, but it should be a "spread two fingers to zoom/pinch to contract" rather than a "use your finger to move the zoom slider" functionality.  After using iPads and iPhones for so many years, the former is much more intuitive (as it is for millions of people)

(c) The operation of attaching the prism finder or waist-level finder is needlessly fiddly.  You have to insert the finder at a very specific angle with the parts clicking down in a very specific order to get it to latch properly.  if you're off even slightly, it won't latch at all or will latch on one side (usually the right) but not the other and get stuck on the latched side.

(d) As I mentioned above, they should redesign the XF body's battery door.  The one on the back feels sturdier.

(e) Big one: there should be a way to lock a single exposure variable (ISO, shutter speed, aperture, exposure comp.) so that they're not unintentionally changed if you accidentally jostle a dial or touch the setting on one of the touch screens.  As it is (at least as far as I can tell after only a couple of days with it and having not exhaustively read the manual), you can lock all of the wheels and settings, but you can't lock just one (such as ISO).  There should be a functionality where you click on the relevant variable (say, aperture) on the top touch screen and it brings up an option to lock just that variable.  This seems like an easy one to fix with a firmware update.

(f) The design of the strap insert slots is insane.  It literally took me longer to get the straps in the slots (like 20 minutes) than it did to figure out how to set up the basic settings and start shooting. It's hard to explain unless you've seen the camera, but (presumably to maintain the sleek lines) the strap insert slots are flush against the body: Getting the strap through the top slot and out the bottom slot required a bent paperclip and a lot of patience to slowly nudge it through a millimeter at a time.  (I realize that others have found solutions that seem to work better -- http://www.ironcreekphotographyblog.com/2015/09/phase-one-xf-peak-design-strap.html -- but really, Phase should redesign the strap insertion points.  Or, even better, include a strap that inserts more easily (and of higher quality than the included strap).  Granted, once you have the strap inserted, it's done; but still, what about when (not if) I want to change straps? I don't look forward to going through that process again.

If anyone has specific questions, happy to try to answer.  At some point, I'll do a substantive image quality review and comparisons with the Leica S 007.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:17:00 pm by william »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Phase One XF-100 initial/rolling impressions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 04:08:22 pm »

Re start up time: a smaller card will check-disk faster and therefore be ready to shoot faster. The difference between, for example, a 16gb card and a 128gb card can be several seconds.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 04:40:06 pm »

Hello William:

thanks for the info.

A few thoughts. 

The best card I have found on the Phase backs is the Lexar 1066x UDMA 7 cards in the 64GB size.  They load a bit faster on start up, and during playback seem much faster to me.

On the zoom, I always just double tap the screen to zoom to 100%, as to me the 100% view is the best for preview.  Once at 100%, you can move around the image like on a iPad with your finger.  Here again the Lexar card seems to speed this up.

Not sure on the battery issue unless they are not Phase branded batteries.  Some of the clones for the Canon batter that Phase uses can get a bit hot and expand, which will cause them to stick until they have cooled a bit.  Hope your dealer works that out quick.  The latest Phase batteries will be the 3400 Milliamp cells. 

I agree start up is slow, always has been with Phase One.  It's an eternity when compared to a Nikon or Canon DSLR.  Can't speak to Hasselblad or Leica. 
7 seconds is about right even with the Lexar card I referred to earlier. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

william

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 05:01:22 pm »

Paul and Lance,

Thanks for the comments.  I'm using the 64Gb Sandisk counterpart of the Lexar cards Paul mentions.

Whether Sandisk or Lexar, I'd be reluctant to use a 16Gb card on a real shoot: by my math, that would fill up in around 160 full-res shots, which is more card-switching than I'd want to do on a real shoot (and the XF only has a single card slot).

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 06:45:43 pm »

For what it's worth, the camera will start up quicker by using the back's button rather than the XF's button.

I've been using the XF for about 9 months and the IQ3 100 for nearly three months and have zero complaints except for the release button for the prism VF. It's too easily moved accidentally.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 08:18:28 pm »

(e) Big one: there should be a way to lock a single exposure variable (ISO, shutter speed, aperture, exposure comp.) so that they're not unintentionally changed if you accidentally jostle a dial or touch the setting on one of the touch screens.  As it is (at least as far as I can tell after only a couple of days with it and having not exhaustively read the manual), you can lock all of the wheels and settings, but you can't lock just one (such as ISO).  There should be a functionality where you click on the relevant variable (say, aperture) on the top touch screen and it brings up an option to lock just that variable.  This seems like an easy one to fix with a firmware update.

William, thanks for the clear written impression of the XF...
If you shoot at 100MP i cannot imagine that you do not use liveview... AF is good but not perfect and you need that to get 100MP sharpness i guess (?)
A 7 second startup time seems really odd in 2016 (?) Even the first digital Nikon had a startup time of less than 1 second....
-
I have no experience with the Phase one, but even on a Nikon d810 it is not possible to lock some basic things like the file format.
Just today i made a mistake ; i found out after shooting that i had shot some part in small jpeg while wanting to shoot Raw...
If you live from photography these things may not happen...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:24:03 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

william

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 08:57:15 pm »

To each his own, I suppose, but I detest the "viewing the world through a TV screen" experience of live view. Oh, I'll use it when I need it, but only when I *need* it. 

As to being able to lock a variable: when cameras (at least good ones) had all analog controls, accidentally changing an important exposure variable was far less of a problem.  Either the variable actually locked (like the shutter speed dial on a Nikon F3, as I recall, or the ISO dial on the top left of various Nikons) or it was hard to accidentally knock out of place because it had firm click detents such that you generally had to apply some intentional pressure to change it (like the shutter speed dial on my film Leica MP). The only variable I would ever accidentally change more than once in a blue moon was the aperture ring on the lens, but after so many years of shooting, I got in the habit of looking at the aperture ring each and every time I picked up the camera or put it back to my eye.

With wheels and dials - and especially with touch screens - it's far different.  As to the wheels and dials, they neither have locking positions nor firm detents: they wheel about freely at a light touch. And with a touch screen, there's no tactile feedback whatsoever to indicate that you've changed something. 

In any event: since Phase can and has provided the functionality to lock *all* of the exposure variables, I think they can and should provide the ability to lock them individually rather than all or nothing. Just touch the relevant variable on the top touch screen; it brings up the same "lock" dialogue that currently can be brought up for all the variables; then push "lock" and that variable alone is locked. 

William, thanks for the clear written impression of the XF...
If you shoot at 100MP i cannot imagine that you do not use liveview... AF is good but not perfect and you need that to get 100MP sharpness i guess (?)
A 7 second startup time seems really odd in 2016 (?) Even the first digital Nikon had a startup time of less than 1 second....
-
I have no experience with the Phase one, but even on a Nikon d810 it is not possible to lock some basic things like the file format.
Just today i made a mistake ; i found out after shooting that i had shot some part in small jpeg while wanting to shoot Raw...
If you live from photography these things may not happen...

william

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 11:23:18 am »

Updates:

Autofocus: Having played around with it more, I'm now at like 90-95% AF accuracy.  I'm also convinced that it is noticeably good at focus accuracy for a medium format camera.  Very little hunting whatsoever except in the dimmest conditions, and AF lands where I put it (I don't always put it in the right place, of course, but that's user error).

Stuck battery issue: Dealer (Digital Transitions) is handling it expeditiously.

Image quality:

My initial impressions are that it's very good (not surprisingly).  I still haven't shot enough to have rigorous impressions, of course, but:

(a) I'm really liking the colors, especially skin tones.  It's hard to know how much of this is the back itself versus how the files are cooked in C1, but whatever the case, I'm liking the color rendering thus far.

(b) Auto white balance is surprisingly accurate.

(c) Resolution/sharpness is outstanding (no surprise: it's 100 freaking megapixels).

(d) At this point, I still prefer the Leica S lenses rendering of people/portraits in natural light.  Don't get me wrong, both systems' lenses are very very impressive in both artificial (flash) and natural light, but shooting some natural lights samples with the XF100 and 110mm 2.8 Schneider versus with the Leica S 007 and 100mm 2.0 Leica lens, I prefer the rendering of the Leica.  Not surprising: that lens is just extraordinary.  Any chance of a Leica S to XF adapter?  I'm well aware that the Leica lenses are designed for a smaller sensor and that there would be cropping/vignetting if mounted on a larger sensor body.  With 100mpx, that doesn't really matter much.

Using flash, they both look equally good (which is very good indeed).

(And I'll reiterate my plea for Phase One to formally support the Leica S in Capture One).

william

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 06:37:22 pm »

Further random thoughts:

(1) Battery issue is fixed.

(2) The zoom and 120mm macro are far too large. They balance well, and are outstanding, but they. are. huge. Especially as compared to similar focal lengths for other medium format systems (and I've used an awful lot of different systems over the years).  The 240mm is also gargantuan, but not surprisingly so for its focal length. 

(3) There are things in the menu accessible via the top touch screen that are not in the menu accessible from the digital back. E.g., focus trim is *only* accessible via the former.  That's crazy: the same menu items should be accessible via both menus.

(4) The user's manual is totally silent on how to (a) access and (b) use focus trim.  Sufficient web searching revealed the answers to both, but both really should be in the manual in detail.

(5) Focus trim does work well. I've calibrated 2 lenses thus far, the 110mm and the 80mm.  Both only required a slight adjustment, and both were already pretty sharp/spot on. But a slight focus trim adjustment (-100 on one; forget about the other) does make a visible difference, at least for wide open aperture and zoomed in at 100%.  It's incrementally better (it was pretty good from the beginning), but those incremental differences will be visible with 100mp if printing large.

(5) More and more impressed with the files as I work with them. 

(6) The Capture One software started crashing upon startup.  It will successfully launch the second time, but has started consistently crashing on the first launch. 

Small things:

(7) I appreciate the high quality metal lens hoods. Leica should be embarrassed for the plastic hoods it supplies with Leica S lenses).

8. The Phase Schneider lenses have two markings on the body's lens mount and the mount of each lens: one red, one blue.  One is easier to line up if you're looking at the camera from the front (as perhaps when changing a lens while the camera's still mounted on a tripod) and the other easier to line up when looking at the camera from the top (as when holding the camera in your left hand and changing the lens with your right hand, looking down at the camera). Very useful. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 09:32:30 pm by william »

Christoph B.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 07:28:03 pm »

ad 2: The 120mm isn't particularly large in my opinion. I had a sigma 150mm 2.8 that was about the same size (slightly longer) and weight. I doubt you'll be able to get a much smaller macro in medium format with a similar focal length and aperture.

ad 6: what are your system specs? are you using the latest version with current updates?

william

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 07:57:57 pm »

This 120mm is *much* larger than my Contax 645 120mm Makro (which I still have), somewhat larger than the Leica S 120mm Macro as I recall (I don't have one but I've handled it), and at least as large or larger than whatever macro I had when I had the Rollei 6008, as I recall (and that one was mighty big).

I am indeed using the current version of C1. Might be something buggy on my Mac rather than in C1. If it persists, I'll raise a support case with Phase.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:04:12 pm by william »

Christoph B.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 06:14:39 am »

Are both lenses equipped with the same technology? AF, LS,..?

How much memory does your Mac have? Which version of OSX are you running?

william

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 05:21:46 pm »

Shot the attached while on a work trip.  This is a crop of about half of the original image.

Technical details: single exposure, ISO 1600, 40-80mm zoom at 65mm; f16; 1/200th; auto white balance; tripod.  No noise reduction beyond the C1 defaults.

It's obviously hard to see at the reduced web file size, but the detail in this image in the full-res file is unbelievable.  Because I purposefully underexposed (and then further adjusted levels and contrast in C1), there's much more detail there than appears in the final version, because I made the shadows so dark.  Below the final edited version, you can see (a) the original exposure and (b) the original boosted by about 1.5 stops in C1.

Notes:

(1) It was getting dark and the subject was strongly backlit (much more so than it may appear from the final image: I brought the exposure down in C1 by about 1.5-2 stops to get the mood I wanted).  The XF's autofocus had no problem nailing focus on the bridge: no hunting at all.

(2) I was shooting from a very low angle and crouching down to be able to look thru the prism.  It's been so long since I've used a digital medium format camera with a waist level viewfinder that I forgot that I had one with me for the XF!

william

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 05:23:09 pm »

Original and +1.6 exposure in C1 below.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 09:20:33 pm »

I just decided to download the files from the IQ3 100, and my initial impressions are ... I'm not too impressed.  Or, I should say my expectations were higher then what was actually delivered.

Yes, the detail is nice, but I don't need it. 

Better live view is nice, but I don't need it. 

Better very long exposures are nice, but I don't need it. 

I knew all this going in though. 

What I was looking for was the high ISO performance.  With all of the comments about how CMOS is SO much better then CCD, I was expecting an ISO 800 IQ3 100 file to compete with a ISO 100 IQ360 or 380 file.  It does not.  It is more like the ISO 800 IQ3 100 is similar to an ISO 400 on a IQ360/380. 

And to be honest, I think I would rather have a Sensor+ ISO 400 from an IQ360, especially an IQ380, then an ISO 400 on the IQ3 100. 

Sensor+ really blow my socks off.  I recently just got around to doing a test on my fiancee's 260 of Sensor+ and it really is the one recent thing that I am truly impressed by (even though I know it is an older technology).  The difference in IQ between an ISO 400 and an ISO 400+ is night and day.  Even when reducing the full res file down to the Sensor+ size, there is still no comparison. 

I think P1 not incorporating Sensor+ on the IQ3 100 was a big mistake.  If they did that, then that back would be completely unapproachable in ISO performance. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 09:47:33 pm »

Different people different needs. For my sensor plus was the most useless feature of all.   Tried it a few times never really liked it, never needed it never used again.

I think it depends a lot. For me the step from the IQ180 to the Iq310 was a huge one. The file quality just (for me) is a different world. I just finished some work where I just for fun used ISO 1600 on it and the files printed are just stunning. Better than anything I can do with the IQ180. Besides I could have never done it with it.

I do still use my IQ180 and do like it and liked it a lot. Just would never want to go back from the 3100

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 09:57:09 pm »

One thing I have noticed is with the IQ100, the the higher ISO from 400 on up benefits from slight over exposure, something that did not help on my 260.  I also find that 400 and 800 hold much better saturation than the CCD backs, especially in areas lacking of light.  It seems that the 100 has a bit more headroom for highlights than the IQ250/350/150 did.

No doubt that sensor plus with a 260, in both 400+ and 800+ is very impressive albeit @1/4 of the resolution and I never really got my head around that at least on the 260 as I have plenty of great 16MP non Phase One cameras with great glass.  The 280/380 I came close to purchasing as the 20Mp sensor plus still gives the user quite a bit to work with and it's as clean as the 260. 

I also agree that sensor plus on the IQ100 would have been possible a huge move for Phase One, (just look at the multishot high ISO from the Pentax K1, about the cleanest ISO 6400 I have ever seen), and not sure why that was not done.  It may be something that is added to later versions of the back, but I do remember that Dalsa/Phase worked together on the sensor plus tech, and so Sony would now have to make another chip.  It will be interesting to see what Phase pulls out at Photokina for sure.   But 25MP from sensor plus would probably have rivaled the best from the current sensor plus tech from CCD.

Still the king now, is the 120MP of the Pentax K1, (I assume that is what that chip makes, as it's 4 36MP shots), the high ISO from that technology is by far the best I have seen from any vendor and it's terrible that the Pentax can't work with Nikon/Canon glass.

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 10:14:28 am »

If your main concern is resolution, then I contest that Sensor+ would not make any sense.  And when I work with designers or on product shoots, resolution (and pixel peeping) is the name of the game. 

But with lifestyle, having higher ISO capabilities is pretty important.  Resolution less so; you can do a lot with 15 MP.  Although 20 MP would make me feel more at ease, more cropping abilities. 

What really gets me is the shadow recovery at 200+ & 400+ is very nice, and it seems better then the IQ3 100 at those ISOs.  Even 800+ is nice, but here I may prefer the newer back.  I would love to test the 380 and 3 100 next to each other. 

The other thing is the noise structure of CMOS always put me off.  I think CCD noise, when at the same levels, is "prettier."  Call me crazy, but that is how I feel. 

Last, let's not forget that none of these cameras (even the Sony and Nikons, but not Canon) have true high ISOs.  A ISO 800 image is really a ISO 50 image pushed 4 stops in the raw processor.  So a big part of the noise reduction is inherent in how good the raw processor is. 

"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 04:21:27 pm »

No doubt that sensor plus with a 260, in both 400+ and 800+ is very impressive albeit @1/4 of the resolution and I never really got my head around that
Same here ... I would just opt for my Nikon setup if I needed higher ISO rather than turn my MFDB into a 20mp device.

william

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 05:05:14 pm »

Word. 

From usage thus far, I get what I expect out of the XF100 in terms of higher ISOs: the ability to shoot handheld under reasonable natural light at, say, ISO 800 at 250th rather than ISO 200 at 1/60th and thereby have a reasonable chance of a non-shaken shot, with unobjectionable noise/grain and good color and contrast. I wasn't expecting miracles at ISO 1600, 3200, etc.

I will say that the Leica S 007 appears to have about a 1 stop advantage at higher ISO over the XF100, at least with only the default noise reduction in Lightroom/C1 (and their defaults may well be different). At a glance and without any real testing at all, ISO 1600 is about my comfort limit with the 007 (I'll go to 3200 in a pinch) whereas ISO 800 is about my comfort limit with the XF (I'll go to 1600 in a pinch, as with the images above). 

As I get to know the XF more, my impression on this might change.  In addition, I do realize that my assessment of the XF's noise is thus far based solely on reviewing on the computer (which maximizes the tendency to pixel peep): I haven't made any prints from it yet. 

Same here ... I would just opt for my Nikon setup if I needed higher ISO rather than turn my MFDB into a 20mp device.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up