Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR, LR6, and Nikon D500 Raw  (Read 3406 times)

Colorado David

ACR, LR6, and Nikon D500 Raw
« on: April 26, 2016, 11:09:56 am »

I realize I will need to move to the CC subscription at some point, but I'm trying to put it off for the time being . What I need to know is if the buy out version of LR6 will include the ACR version that can process the newest Nikon raw files. Thank you.

AlterEgo

Re: ACR, LR6, and Nikon D500 Raw
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 11:21:42 am »

I realize I will need to move to the CC subscription at some point, but I'm trying to put it off for the time being . What I need to know is if the buy out version of LR6 will include the ACR version that can process the newest Nikon raw files. Thank you.

relevant CC sub ("Creative Cloud Photography plan" or whatever they call it) includes both PS and LR, PS includes ACR... raw conversion wise ACR and LR are the same (but not GUI wise)... and naturally only CC sub is updated with new cameras support nowadays (both LR and ACR)... the rest are through raw to DNG conversion using free Adobe DNG converter

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 11:23:13 am »

The stand-alone version of LR6 is still being updated for new cameras and lenses, but the version of ACR for PS CS6 is no longer being updated.  See http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/07/update-to-camera-support-policy-in-cs6.html

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 11:25:55 am »

The stand-alone version of LR6 is still being updated for new cameras and lenses
I didn't know - but then I am not using LR at all... that's a gross injustice through to update non "CC" LR  and not to update non "CC" ACR !

ButchM

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:56:16 am »

I didn't know - but then I am not using LR at all... that's a gross injustice through to update non "CC" LR  and not to update non "CC" ACR !

Well ..except that Adobe announced CS6 has reached it's end of life as far as support for future development and recently for ACR as well. While Lr6 is still a current application. Adobe did not cease perpetual license version of Lr when they introduced the CC only option for a path forward.

ButchM

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 12:01:25 pm »

According to the release notes for Lr 6.5/2015.5 (and ACR 9.5 for Photoshop CC 2015.5) both the Nikon D5 and D500 are supported.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2016/03/lr-cc-2015-5-now-available.html

AlterEgo

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 12:48:54 pm »

Well ..except that Adobe announced CS6 has reached it's end of life as far as support for future development and recently for ACR as well. While Lr6 is still a current application. Adobe did not cease perpetual license version of Lr when they introduced the CC only option for a path forward.
it is the matter of wording... nothing prevents ACR from CC to work with CS6 except Adobe's desire for it not to work... ACR is a self contained code - it just checks the presence of relevant versions of PS and/or Bridge, but it does not really use anything from outside of itself to work... Adobe could bundle ACR license with LR6 PP so that if somebody has LR6 (but no CC subscription) they still can use updated ACR with their old PS CS6 (if they have it)...

ButchM

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 01:58:00 pm »

it is the matter of wording... nothing prevents ACR from CC to work with CS6 except Adobe's desire for it not to work... ACR is a self contained code - it just checks the presence of relevant versions of PS and/or Bridge, but it does not really use anything from outside of itself to work... Adobe could bundle ACR license with LR6 PP so that if somebody has LR6 (but no CC subscription) they still can use updated ACR with their old PS CS6 (if they have it)...

Sure ... and Adobe could support ACR back to any version you choose ... but it ain't gonna happen.

I'm quite surprised they supported ACR and some other updates for CS6 for as long as they did ... If Ps CC would have been CS7 ... CS6 would have been left in the dust for updates to ACR long ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up