Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-Card Reader with XQD 2.0 support?  (Read 1449 times)

dwswager

Multi-Card Reader with XQD 2.0 support?
« on: April 26, 2016, 09:59:52 am »

Has any company made or anyone found a USB 3 Multi-Card Reader with XQD 2.0 support?  Looking for a solution for CF, UHS-II SD and XQD since I shoot a Nikon D810 and D500 now.

The only think I can find is the Lexar Professional Workflow modular system which is fine sitting on my desk, but I'm looking for a more portable solution and something less cumbersome than carrying 3 individual direct plugin readers.

dwswager

Re: Multi-Card Reader with XQD 2.0 support?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 02:11:05 pm »

OK, this doesn't exists!  But it should.  I find it baffling at this point that no one would build a card reader that would support:

CF - UDMA 7
SD - UHS-II
XQD - 2.0
CFast - ?

I realize XQD and CFast are both specialty card formats (one of which will die before long with CF) with very limited appeal, but there is a substantial film and photography market for this.

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 10:26:23 pm »

I'm not sure they'll make one with all those technologies.  CF is big enough, to have a second slot the same size for CFast, plus sizeable one for XQD and SD.
You really are better off with the pro workflow, or using a HyperDrive to dump into, then from that SSD to your laptop.
t: @PNWMF

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 07:24:42 am »

I'm not sure they'll make one with all those technologies.  CF is big enough, to have a second slot the same size for CFast, plus sizeable one for XQD and SD.
You really are better off with the pro workflow, or using a HyperDrive to dump into, then from that SSD to your laptop.

I agree it won't happen, but it's not about the size.  It will be the known fact that the industry is killing off CF and unless either XQD or CFast die a quick death, neither will see significant mass market penetration.  With UHS-II SD at the speeds they are, very few people need a faster card.  I own a D500, shoot sports and would speculate that less than 1% of owners would ever need XQD speeds in shooting action.  I don't!
Pages: [1]   Go Up