Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "PhotoShop books, Any suggestions?"  (Read 5118 times)

Bill Koenig

"PhotoShop books, Any suggestions?"
« on: May 23, 2006, 02:14:20 pm »

I've been reading these forums for many years, so now, I'm finely making the jump from film to digital photography, a rather large jump at that.
I just purchased the Nikon D200, PhotoShop CS2, monitor calibration hardware and software. My computer is up to date, XP Pro, fast dual core processor with 2 GB of ram, and room for two more. (4 slots)
Now I need to get a book(s) that will get me started with PhotoShop and digital workflow.
I already have a pretty good idea of how all of the parts of a digital darkroom fit to gather, so now, its time to start learning photoshop. I know its going to take time to get up to speed with all of this, and I have a lot on my plate, but, you have to start somewhere.
Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 02:15:50 pm by Bill Koenig »
Bill Koenig,

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 02:36:50 pm »

Photoshop for Nature Photographers by Ellen Anon and Tim Grey
Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers by Martin Evening

Also www.radiantvista.com

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 02:41:14 pm »

Jumping into Photoshop is a HUGE step, and will require a commensurately huge time investment to master. The best single book I know of specific to photographers is Martin Evening's "Adobe PhotoShop CS2 for Photographers". But don't be ashamed to start with beginner level books like Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers" if you're really new to it. Bruce Fraser's "Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop CS2" is a great treatise on raw conversion, though if you've really kept up with Michael's articles not much will be new to you.

Good luck. It's a steep path, but I'm told the view at the top is worth it...

Bill Koenig

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 04:04:35 pm »

Thanks for the advice, I've ordered Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers by Martin Evening, it will be here in a couple of days. $32.31 shipped from Amazon.com
Bill Koenig,

picnic

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 10:09:31 pm »

Thanks for the advice, I've ordered Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers by Martin Evening, it will be here in a couple of days. $32.31 shipped from Amazon.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66394\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Excellent choice.  I sit here with it at hand.  I also have an old version--maybe for 6??  Still good, but CS2 is quite a bit different.  I'd also add Bruce Fraser's RAW book is good--and if and when you get further advanced, you might like one of Katrin Eismann's--"Masking and Compositing' or 'Restoration and Retouching' (my favorite).  

BTW--there are excellent tutes out there that you can usually find just by Googling.

whitemountainjohn

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 02:32:27 pm »

"I need a good book..."
There is a new and really quite beautiful and thoughtful book available, George DeWolfe's Digital Photography Fine Print Workshop.  The book is properly grounded in the aesthetics of good photographs, and links the techniques of Photoshop to the various aspects of a good photograph.  
I find the grounding very helpful in navigating the complexities and bloat of Photoshop.  It helps to be reminded of why we are in Photoshop, and then how Photoshop can help us serve our purposes.  All this, surrounded by DeWolfe's own wonderful and understated work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up