Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flash memory... 512GB or 1TB?  (Read 7484 times)

DavidPalermo

Flash memory... 512GB or 1TB?
« on: April 24, 2016, 05:20:24 pm »

I am about to buy a new iMac and am not sure how much Flash Memory to get - 512GB or 1TB.  I don't do video.  I edit large (24 and 36MP) RAW photos in both Lightroom and Photoshop. 

My friend recommended that I get 1TB of Flash Memory but I don't know if I really need that much.  Right now all my apps fit on a separate HD that is 500GB.  Only 250GB are used.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

David

JaapD

Re: Flash memory... 512GB or 1TB?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 04:35:11 am »

It depends on how long you are going to use your iMac before buying a new one. The smaller SSD size seems to be OK for now but we can be sure that the situation shall be different in 5 years time. If I were you I’d take the 1Tb Flash, which will be the cheaper solution in the end.

francois

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 04:36:43 am »

These days, 1TB isn't that much… The only issue is the price Apple asks to upgrade from 512GB to 1TB. Personally. I would still buy the 1TB SSD as Photoshop/LR and other software can use a lot of space for cache and temporary storage. That being said, you could also buy the 512GB model and use an additional Thunderbolt external SSD drive. Note that upgrading to a larger SSD later is not really cost effective. I'm sorry that I cannot give you a definite answer. Your choice will depend on your budget and probably your willingness to use external devices.
Francois

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 07:03:52 am »

I'm upgrading Macs this summer, and will get the 500GB. All my apps and system files take up about 130GB, leaving plenty of room to download a lot of files for initial editing before moving them to the server.

If you already have 250GB of system and app files, maybe the 1TB is worth it, though.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 02:59:40 pm »

I run a pretty lean system and consistently use about 75GB on my 250GB SSD. I have a stack of external drives paired off for duplicate backups so RAW files don't stay on the machine for long. My next machine will probably have a 500GB drive just in case I need more but I don't feel the 1TB is worth it to me.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 09:09:33 pm »

I no longer see the need for a whole lot of internal disk space.  I don't have a Mac with more than 500 GB these days.  All files are on external drives.  Only apps and essential files on the internal drives.  External arrays on the iMacs and smaller single drives on the MacBook Pros.

Just got the wife a new 27" iMac with 500 GB SSD.  Beautiful monitor and runs fast! 

BTW, we don't do video work on our machines, just photography.
Regards,
Ron

dwswager

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 10:01:58 am »

I am about to buy a new iMac and am not sure how much Flash Memory to get - 512GB or 1TB.  I don't do video.  I edit large (24 and 36MP) RAW photos in both Lightroom and Photoshop. 

My friend recommended that I get 1TB of Flash Memory but I don't know if I really need that much.  Right now all my apps fit on a separate HD that is 500GB.  Only 250GB are used.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

David

Depends on your workflow.  512GB would be more than enough if you reserve the internal storage for programs and general work products and keep your images on some sort of external drive, NAS or Server.  Otherwise, go 1TB  if you plan to dump images directly to the internal storage.

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 06:32:15 pm »

+1 on the 500gb and leveraging external disk for archive.

If you need an extra reason, if your Mac has an issue, and everything is on the internal drive, you don't have a way to take the files elsewhere as you wait for repair.  A couple of USB3 laptop drives and you're good to go.

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

JaapD

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 04:49:19 am »

All true what everyone said here and 500Gb should be fine for ‘now’. The point I was trying to make is how long do you expect to use this iMac? If you’re planning to still use it in let’s say 5 years’ time than at that moment 500Gb may not be that much. Then you might be better off in now investing in a 1Tb PCIe disk.

History shall repeat itself, especially on computing. Years ago a 128Gb SSD seemed to be sufficient then. Now we know that it is by far not sufficient anymore. Just sharing my 'lessons learned'....

graeme

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 07:59:43 am »

I've been using an iMac for 10 months now, mainly for Lightroom & PS but some vector stuff as well. I just went for the 256GB internal SSD. I keep my Lightroom catalogue, PS scratch & any very large PS files I'm currently working on on an external thunderbolt SSD ( 2 x 256GB drives in Raid 0 ). Other files & Time Machine backups go on external USB 3 HD's. The iMac's SSD currently has 125GB of free space ( & I haven't tidied it up for ages ). I may stick my iTunes library on a usb stick which I'll leave stuck into one of the inconveniently placed ports on the back of the iMac.

rdonson

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 04:55:22 pm »

I typically keep my Macs 5 years.  In that period of time you can expect that the processor, graphics card, SSD, external connections such as Thunderbolt and USB and screen resolution will be far better than what you have now.  In other words, in 5 years you'll be ready to upgrade.
Regards,
Ron

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 12:04:44 am »

My friend recommended that I get 1TB of Flash Memory but I don't know if I really need that much.

So, why are you asking? Are you really trying to cheap it out at the lowest cost or not waist money that could be used elsewhere...unless you are trying to keep costs down I would go 1TB. Flash/SSDs perform best when kept to less that 50% capacity So, what is the price difference you are worried about? (personally, I went with the 1TB SSD and I'm happy and productive–YMMV)

dwswager

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 03:26:12 pm »

Is the iMac sealed like the Macbooks?  That is the significant fly in the ointment. 

I personally think it is silly to 1)seal a computer from upgrade and 2) buy an all in one unit for the desktop.   At some poiint, you would want to add or change RAM, Drives, Graphics Cards...  But then, my computer is in a SuperMicro Full Tower Server case that about 28" high.  Not sure anyone still makes them that size.  It has 2 SSDs, 4 HDDs, 2 BD Driver, and Interanal Card Reader and even a 3.5" floppy drive still. 

My laptop has has had RAM, HDD to SDD, new Radio (WIFI and BlueTooth) Card and Antennas.

rdonson

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 08:20:39 am »

I can't speak for all MacBooks but I have two MacBook Pros that I've opened and upgraded certain things.  Not everything is upgradable though.  Check OWC for how to upgrade iMacs and MacBooks.  For me, the upgrade of an iMac is a bit daunting as you have to remove the front glass.  Plenty of people do it and lots of shops that are Apple certified certain do it.

https://www.macsales.com/
Regards,
Ron

sjprg

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 09:10:56 pm »

Every time I have skimped on memory, HDD or SSD I have regretted it and wound up spending much more to upgrade. With PCs it not a problem, but with Apple it has always turned out to be.
Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up