Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Argument: DSLR or Medium Format - the discussion for me is over!  (Read 5082 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing

Just stating my opinion and do not want to start a "range war"of bickering.  Just what I've learned applicable for my little world.

OK folks, about 2 years ago I sold my H4D-50, 28mm and 50-110 for the far lighter and dramatically less expensive Nikon D800E and Zeiss glass.  Truth be told, I got some nice shots and accepted what I had by not looking back.  The weight reduction in my pack was dramatic AND the cash recovered was as welcome.

Then last Tuesday I want back into my HD looking for images I had but never worked on.  I should have never done that IF I wanted to remain loyal to the DSLR realm.  Found several files shot on the Hassie 40MP, started working on them and was amazed at what I was missing in the DSLR realm.  Key difference in my mind is the 14 bit verse 16 bit issue.  Frankly, the images "worked" far smoother, with far greater D-Max and saturation that converted to a smoother B&W file when I choose that direction than anything I've been able to get from the Nikon.

So, Friday I bought a dealer demo H5D-50c WiFi with a new 28mm lens.  I'll shop for a mint used 100mm and leave my tool kit with only those two lenses.    H5D and 28 will be here on Tuesday.  100mm when I find a mint unit at a great price.

Yes, the DSLR has distinct advantages, and I'll keep it as back up, or for just street shots (unless the legs are feeling strong that day to carry the Hassie when roaming the street of a new town).  But I've come back and feel that it is worth the extra investment and weight to tote.  I want the best file to work with and I have proven to myself it's Medium Format for me.  Also my health has dramatically improved over the last year and I can now better handle the weight increase of the hassie system.  Key is to keep the pack to no more than 2 lenses. 

Theodoros

Re: Argument: DSLR or Medium Format - the discussion for me is over!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 09:15:37 pm »

The weight and size of equipment is an important factor hugely underestimated by many... I use Contax 645 with CF-39MS back and like you a Nikon system... I have to say... After I got the adapter that I can use all my Contax lenses on the Nikon with full dedication, both my Nikon system improved and I now can carry the MF system only and just throw a Nikon body in the bag too with only the 17-35/2.8 Nikkor as to compensate for the WA loss.... I now am working as to use my Contax glass on a view camera too and thus get rid of my Fuji GX680 system too (though the -Contax mount- Sinarback 54H I permanently use on it via a Contax adapter stays and will transfer its use on the view camera along with a Sony A7 body).

Other than that, Hasselblad's CEO said (practically announced) on his latest interview https://www.ephotozine.com/article/perry-oosting-on-the-hasselblad-h6d-29166 an ANTI-LEICA S MF DSLR coming from Hasselblad which will be the entry level model and as portable as possible... With a camera like that, Hasselblad users should be able to replace their additional DSLR systems altogether and keep only one lens line and then share the same lenses (obviously via an adapter) with the new camera coming.... (much like Contax users can also do if adding a Leica S-007 on their system I suppose).

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 12:57:45 am »

Great to hear the health improvements, and the return of an old love.  May you work her hard.
t: @PNWMF

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 01:45:21 am »

Hi Jack,

Like Joe said. Nice to see you back!

Best regards
Erik

Great to hear the health improvements, and the return of an old love.  May you work her hard.
Erik Kaffehr

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 07:17:44 am »

Wow, thank you for the welcome back!  I did not expect that.
Yes, it has been a real adventure, including a divorce which took away sooo much stress, all of which I would not wish on another Soul.
But it looks like I've turned the corner with the health and so anxious to get back into creating what I love, images!

Time to have fun again and share what is learned between us.

The image that opened my eyes, and my wallet, to the dramatic difference between SLR and MFD is now the log on image for my web site.
Will keep it up for a few weeks - shadowsdancing.com
Remember, only 72dpi on you monitor so all of the "magic" in the actual file can't bee seen.  BUT the difference is real!

My thoughts at this point is unless Hassie gives on heck of a trade in price as time goes on for a 60MP, the 50 is all I need for my work.
In the past, the 28mm lens is what 95%+ of my images were shot with.  Pondering the 100mm for the few portraits or stitching, but not sure about it. 

Happy to be back!
Jack

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 09:07:46 am »

I've never understood why some think the decision to use Medium Format Digital or a DSLR is an "either/or" proposition. As you've found, Jack, having both systems is a great complement, and simply allows the photographer to pick the right tool for the job. Congratulations on the divorce and good health---sometimes people don't realize that those can work together well too.   :)  ken

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 11:59:48 am »

Hi Ken,

Absolutely correct!  Both have their place, as well as tech pan cameras, etc.
I'll keep the Nikon, as I said above.

I used to put a P45+ on the back of a Cambo.  Found that interesting but did not stick with it - too much trouble and many times the clouds and light were no longer what I wanted.  I've found the 28 on the back of any Hassie H is fast and gives me the image in a quick setup time that I frequently need.  Light and clouds are so transient and can appear in a heart beat and be gone in the next!

(Valid guess if you've figured I like cloud studies!)

Jack

Theodoros

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 12:19:10 pm »

I've never understood why some think the decision to use Medium Format Digital or a DSLR is an "either/or" proposition. As you've found, Jack, having both systems is a great complement, and simply allows the photographer to pick the right tool for the job. Congratulations on the divorce and good health---sometimes people don't realize that those can work together well too.   :)  ken

The O/P never suggested that it is an "either/or" proposition... nor anybody else did as far as I know... DSLRs where an alternative up to now as to supplement the weaknesses of MF for portability, LL use and fast action & additionally provide video abilities and on camera LV that MFDBs lucked, if those aspects are eliminated (or if one doesn't care for one or more of them) then there is no point in keeping both, is there? If one decides to invest on a Leica S-007 for instance and he doesn't shoot sports or wildlife, why should he keep a DSLR at all since he has the same portability  and LL ability as well as video and LV by keeping the Leica only?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 05:33:42 pm »

I sincerely admire such clarity of thought about what equipment to use moving forward. It doesn't prevent me from sleeping, but there isn't a day when I wonder what to use next for this or that application. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 06:05:02 pm »

Good 'ole, Theo. We can always count on a response.   ::)

I never suggested that Jack, "the OP" suggested it was an either/or proposition. I wrote that "some think" it is.  Geez. 

And yes, there always is a reason to have multiple camera systems and formats.  It's called the love of photography. Some simply enjoy the process of this thing called photography. Some of us actually go out and use these cameras. Egads, I guess we could also just talk about the shortcomings of medium format on the forums too.  :o

;) ken

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 07:04:34 pm »

Given:
"Just stating my opinion and do not want to start a "range war"of bickering.  Just what I've learned applicable for my little world."

Let's get back on the target.  All I was saying is obvious - MF has a distinct place in MY work paradigm that I had abandoned, and the Nikon will be used for what it does best - action, fast setup/focus, street scenes and the like.

But 98% of my work is landscape and a few portraits, and I'm the Poster Child for those that want to do it right.  As such, the Hassie I just bought will do a better job then the Nikon I've been using for the last couple of years.  That was smack in my face when I went back looking for images on the HD that I had not worked on since getting the Nikon and I noticed the dramatically better results from the Hassie file.

I learned a lesson - for my level of image that I seek, Hassie wins but the Nikon will, for the time being, be in the back of my vehicle for the occasional time it is the ideal tool.

Jack

Chris Livsey

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 02:47:54 am »

I learned a lesson - for my level of image that I seek, Hassie wins but the Nikon will, for the time being, be in the back of my vehicle for the occasional time it is the ideal tool.

Jack

So the decision to move was a mistake, not judgemental it's what you imply, I'm curious as to the original decision process. You quote weight as a primary along with money, even though it's  largely a given that swopping systems completely is a great way to loose money, I presume you looked at both lots of files at the time so what changed there? 
I'm not trying to call you out here just wondering what processes led to the wrong decision, for you, others could learn. What, looking back, would have stopped you moving back then, presumably not the dealers who look to be the all round winners here, having sampled the dark side it is good to have you back.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 02:58:50 am »

This.
Anyone who doesn't think this way either has very specific requirements or spends more time arguing than shooting.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Chris Livsey

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 07:26:27 am »

Chris,
You just shown you appear to form judgements without all the facts. 

Jack

I can only base my comments on the facts you supply, your decision was obviously on criteria, weight, which you mentioned in your OP without the qualification that this was medically necessary, that of course changes everything and renders my comments to appear unkind. I would of course be happy to delete my post in the light of the new information you have posted but as you have quoted me that does not remove remove them from view.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 08:17:52 am »

Hi Chris,

Jack described his choice of system here on LuLa at a stage when his condition was considered terminal and he was not able to carry the gear he loved.

I am glad he is back, in better health and that he can have Hasselblad gear again.

Best regards
Erik

I can only base my comments on the facts you supply, your decision was obviously on criteria, weight, which you mentioned in your OP without the qualification that this was medically necessary, that of course changes everything and renders my comments to appear unkind. I would of course be happy to delete my post in the light of the new information you have posted but as you have quoted me that does not remove remove them from view.
Erik Kaffehr

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 10:07:00 am »

Jack,

Welcome back! Congrats on your improved health!

Edmund

Just stating my opinion and do not want to start a "range war"of bickering.  Just what I've learned applicable for my little world.

OK folks, about 2 years ago I sold my H4D-50, 28mm and 50-110 for the far lighter and dramatically less expensive Nikon D800E and Zeiss glass.  Truth be told, I got some nice shots and accepted what I had by not looking back.  The weight reduction in my pack was dramatic AND the cash recovered was as welcome.

Then last Tuesday I want back into my HD looking for images I had but never worked on.  I should have never done that IF I wanted to remain loyal to the DSLR realm.  Found several files shot on the Hassie 40MP, started working on them and was amazed at what I was missing in the DSLR realm.  Key difference in my mind is the 14 bit verse 16 bit issue.  Frankly, the images "worked" far smoother, with far greater D-Max and saturation that converted to a smoother B&W file when I choose that direction than anything I've been able to get from the Nikon.

So, Friday I bought a dealer demo H5D-50c WiFi with a new 28mm lens.  I'll shop for a mint used 100mm and leave my tool kit with only those two lenses.    H5D and 28 will be here on Tuesday.  100mm when I find a mint unit at a great price.

Yes, the DSLR has distinct advantages, and I'll keep it as back up, or for just street shots (unless the legs are feeling strong that day to carry the Hassie when roaming the street of a new town).  But I've come back and feel that it is worth the extra investment and weight to tote.  I want the best file to work with and I have proven to myself it's Medium Format for me.  Also my health has dramatically improved over the last year and I can now better handle the weight increase of the hassie system.  Key is to keep the pack to no more than 2 lenses.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 10:20:39 am »

Thank you!

I have missed many of your excellent and frequently challenging post to question the "authorities"!
Look forward to your new ones!

Jack

Ken R

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 09:26:38 am »

Generally Medium Format Digital cameras have much better hardware / software integration and also MUCH better color profiles than smaller format cameras. That makes a noticeable difference when working the files.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 06:08:34 pm »

Keep on trekking, Jack, and if ever want to return to New Zealand for some more photography treks, let me know.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

siddphoto

• Siddhartha Saha Photogaphy
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 04:12:04 am »

Keep on trekking, Jack, and if ever want to return to New Zealand for some more photography treks, let me know.
Roger

Lovely photo!
Pages: [1]   Go Up