Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An observation  (Read 862 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
An observation
« on: April 22, 2016, 05:00:05 am »

I had to meet someone the other night and it happened to be at his camera club meeting. I was a bit late and had to enter a darkened room as one print at a time was put up for assessment and marking.
One thing struck me in particular, technology appeared to be dictating composition in some cases, coming from the days of turning a lens to get the subject sharp then composing for a pleasing balance etc. I got the feeling some where composing to a selected AF point, you could see what they wanted to do but missed it by a little bit because the computer said no.
All in all some great photography on show, but like most things in life you could tell who was relying on their brain to compose expose etc and which were relying on tech to bring home the bacon. No doubt as they progress with their hobby it will improve.
My other observation on seeing the prints up close is too Sharp, the quest for perfection put them over the edge in my view, on some natural history "sharp" was very good, other subjects it robbed the image of reality, nothing was sharpened to the point of introducing artefacts, but to the point of robbing the print of life.

.....and and on something else not related to the camera club, the obsession these days for differential focus is way over done, I don't think bokeh is nearly as important as some think it is and there are many times sharp front to back is better. I was at a trade show recently and the girl demoing a camera too me was happy to boast She only shot at f1.7.
I would say treat it like a special effect and use it when it suits not as a default setting.
Kevin.

biker