Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone have an 44" Epson printer in a condo ?  (Read 2272 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Does anyone have an 44" Epson printer in a condo ?
« on: April 21, 2016, 05:56:11 pm »

This is probably a strange question, but I want to get a P9000 in a condo. There is room for it but the challenge is getting it up to the place to begin with. Does anyone have any tips ? Can the printer body be tilted up in an service elevator without doing any damage to the print heads ? I know the printers have gotten heavier as well, my old 9800 was much lighter than the new guys are and I managed to take it up to an upstairs bedroom at my old house with only two people. I'm even willing to invest in some custom carrying hardware to be able to tilt the printer body upright and wheel it in and out of the elevator. Has anyone with a home studio dealt with a similar issue ?

Peter McLennan

Re: Does anyone have an 44" Epson printer in a condo ?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 07:16:40 pm »

Is it charged with ink?  Or is it new and empty?
Does it have to go completely vertical? 
What does Epson say?

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 01:25:37 am »

Is it charged with ink?  Or is it new and empty?
Does it have to go completely vertical? 
What does Epson say?

It would be a new unit so no ink. I don't know what epson says about this, have not been able to find any info on this.

narikin

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 09:26:03 am »

No problem if its new and empty of ink.

I don't know your specific model, but I've moved a 9800 and an 11880 in and out of residential apts, without problems. Assuming your elevator can fit it, tilted if needed.

Look out for tilting 'this side' up on the outside of the box. Though again, don't know your model, so it may not be applicable.

Good luck!

Dan Wells

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 03:28:17 pm »

As long as it will fit through the door and up the stairs in SOME orientation, you can get it in... They are shipped with a ton of shipping protectors (all the blue tape we spend hours ripping out of printers, plus the plastic gizmos that keep the head from moving), and are designed to be taken out of their box on the street and then moved up the stairs without the box.

The bigger issue is whether you'll ever get it OUT again... Once the ink is in, Canon printers have to be moved essentially flat, especially the 44" models - I was present when an 8300 died this way. The best information I have is that the Epsons are somewhat more tilt-tolerant, but I don't know how tolerant they are or aren't (My 7900 will actually clear the doorway flat with about 2 inches to spare, so it will get out when I need to move it). If you're planning on keeping the condo for the life of the printer, this isn't an issue, but if you're planning to move, it very well could be!

Also, remember just how big these printers are in terms of how much of a room it'll take up. A P9000 is about the size of an upright piano, and it's a fairly industrial looking object that doesn't blend in to most decor. If you have a studio room dedicated to it (or shared with your computer or similar things), it's great. I share my bedroom with a 7900, and it reminds me of the stories of the old Royal Navy, when there was always a large cannon in the captain's cabin - there's not much way of decorating around a cannon (or a 300 lb printer!)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 05:46:38 pm »

Just saw this so I hope your move went OK if it's already done.  I have a small house so the printer has to go upstairs on a balcony.  No problem for 2 movers to get an Epson P8000 up the staircase (pretty steep one), vertical on the top step, then tilt down and move to the stand.

Getting my Canon 8300 out before hand was another matter as I didn't know the inks would run out.  After ruining the carpet at the top of the stairs when it was initially tipped we wrapped it with clear tape and sheets where it was dripping out.  Not looking forward to that again so I'm buying the Epson 3 yr warranty ...

sportmaster

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 12:39:30 pm »

I have moved my 4900 printers many times on their sides without any ill effects.  Laying flat, the machine is too big and heavy to handle alone or fit through doorways.  I just power off, tip the machine on edge and go.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:12:26 pm by sportmaster »

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 08:05:56 pm »

This is probably a strange question, but I want to get a P9000 in a condo. There is room for it but the challenge is getting it up to the place to begin with. Does anyone have any tips ? Can the printer body be tilted up in an service elevator without doing any damage to the print heads ? I know the printers have gotten heavier as well, my old 9800 was much lighter than the new guys are and I managed to take it up to an upstairs bedroom at my old house with only two people. I'm even willing to invest in some custom carrying hardware to be able to tilt the printer body upright and wheel it in and out of the elevator. Has anyone with a home studio dealt with a similar issue ?

A close friend just moved his 9900 (loaded with inks) and had no problem, including some vertical standing for elevator and corners.
Earlier this year I moved my Canon IPF 8400 and also had no issues, but I had to drain all the inks in the printer's lines to be able to stand it vertical.
Pages: [1]   Go Up