Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Royally well done  (Read 1507 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Royally well done
« on: April 21, 2016, 11:20:36 am »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Royally well done
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 11:33:25 am »

Love the second picture with the guy sneaking a peek toward the camera. It's real street and very funny.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 01:22:36 pm »

Interesting comments and defense of the British "queen/prince/princess" thing. Still, from this side of the ocean it seems "quite beyond the bounds of logic" and the crass and insensitive remarks re. Diana are in extremely poor taste.

"If she is guilty of poor judgment it is solely in the case of that press whore, Diana, who made the masses her own while executing some sort of confused agenda quite beyond the bounds of logic. Mercifully, a lucky accident solved the Queen’s dilemma."

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 01:27:40 pm by pcgpcg »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 01:27:28 pm »

The British infatuation with the royals is silly, but no worse than the rest of celebrity culture.
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 01:38:13 pm »

Interesting comments and defense of the British "queen/prince/princess" thing. Still, from this side of the ocean it seems "quite beyond the bounds of logic" and the crass and insensitive remarks re. Diana are in extremely poor taste.

"If she is guilty of poor judgment it is solely in the case of that press whore, Diana, who made the masses her own while executing some sort of confused agenda quite beyond the bounds of logic. Mercifully, a lucky accident solved the Queen’s dilemma."

We have what's supposedly a free press; the freedom seems mainly the ability to pander to whichever slot of the public it thinks might be interested in buying its pages...

The Queen still represents a place somewhere apart from money, politics and the general dumbing down of our society. The strange thing is that she still feels willing to keep on truckin' when, in reality, she could simply pull the plug on all the back-biters and move somewhere with a better clime, spend the rest of her days doing whatever she feels like doing... And no, Robert, I don't think she has anything to do with celebrity culture: celebs are of the cheap moment whereas royalty is about history.

I guess that's what it means to be born to the task: you stick in at it and do your duty come what may. That's a difference between monarchy and elected politicians.

Rob C

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 02:06:45 pm »

I was making no comment on the dignity of the current monarch, whose behaviour is above reproach. More heads of state should emulate her. It's more the fact of the monarchy's continued existence that I find silly.

OTOH, the pomposity of heads of state is usually funny, and not in a good way. I am thinking of those photo ops at G8 meetings (or G-something), such as this  photo, which always prompt me to ask: Who are they waving at? Are there grandstands full of cheering fans?
--
Robert

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 11:45:49 am »

The story has a whiff of the British populist far-right (UKIP) about it... but I did like the Churchill story :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up