Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flash for the Olympus OM-D EM-5  (Read 1887 times)

bluekorn

flash for the Olympus OM-D EM-5
« on: April 19, 2016, 02:13:02 pm »

My EM-5 came with a small flash, the FL-LM2, that plugs directly into the camera body and requires no batteries. Does anyone know of a slightly more powerful flash that is still on the small side that has bounce capability? It would be used for snapshots and fill. Thank you.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: flash for the Olympus OM-D EM-5
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 03:17:23 pm »

You might want to check olympus' FL-300R.  I haven't used it myself as I usually shoot with full size Youngnow or Canon speedlights.  However that looks to be decent. 

It's too bad Olympus didnt make the FL-LM3 backwards compatible with the E-m5 and e-m1.  That bounces and is decent.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

bluekorn

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 12:02:21 pm »

Thank you Tony. I'll see if I can find the FL-300R someplace where I can try it out. I appreciate the suggestion. 

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 12:52:57 pm »

Another decent option...again depends on your actual needs and how you use flash... the Nissin i40.  It's definitely smaller than a standard speedlight...but still packs decent power.  It appears to have a video light as well.  A little pricey though...but price is relative when you look at the cost of a standard speedlight.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

mschubb@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 06:00:45 pm »

Fl-300 is very small but only tilts for a ceiling bounce... but that still might be perfect for you.   

If you want a more versatile speedlight-type TTL flash, (rotating head, zoom, etc.) the Olympus FL-600R and Panasonic FL-360L are rebranded twins and essentially the same.  Both are smaller/lighter than comparable 4-AA battery nikon/canon speedlights.  I have and like the FL360, but would buy whichever happens to be cheapest at time of purchase.  (Both are now more-competitively priced than when they were first released.)

Andrew David

• My Instagram page
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 07:13:50 pm »

Absolutely recommend the Olympus fl-600r, it ticks all of the boxes, and is very easy to use whilst still packing a lot of powerful features. That or the Panasonic FL-360L, which is the same flash with a different name.

Also do keep in mind while shopping around that while the Olympus FL-LM3 flash would appear to suit your needs, it won't work on older Olympus cameras like the 1st generation E-M5 - it requires an extra pin in the hot shoe to provide power to the unit, where older Olympus bodies had a micro-USB port beneath the hot shoe to provide power to accessories or flashes that don't use batteries.
Pages: [1]   Go Up