Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating new LightroomPrintModulePreset for P800 that uses FrontManualFeedTray  (Read 4300 times)

robcrandall

Purchased new Epson P800 printer and downloaded current Epson ICC profiles for Legacy papers and Exhibition Fiber paper.
When attempting to build new Print Presets for the P800 and these papers, I have trouble entering "Print Settings." There are no check boxes for paper feed: Manual/Front/Rear.

Printing from the sheet feeder (thin papers) is no problem, but when I use the pop-out Front Manual Feed Tray, on front of the P800 (for thick media e.g., Legacy, Exhibition fiber), the driver responds with an error message stating paper was not loaded in proper tray.

How do I instruct the printer that paper was loaded using the Front Manual Feed Tray? And build that instruction into a preset?
Is the proper procedure to pop out the Front Manual Feed Tray, insert paper, press "Load Paper" on the touchscreen on the P800 (paper loads), and then return to Lightroom and hit "print?"

thanks for the help,
Rob

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

Which driver do you have installed? Is it Airprint or Series driver? If the former, delete it and replace with the Series driver. All options should then be available.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

robcrandall

Downloaded and installed "Epson SC-P800 Series 2" driver earlier today.
Followed Epson driver installation instructions, including "Connect via USB cable."
Also restarted MacPro, Lightroom, and P800 to see if that helped, but no change.

P800 is connected to MacPro with USB cable.

Jager

• E vestigio

So when you go to PRINT SETTINGS -> PRINTER SETTINGS what are you seeing?  The 'Basic' tab should have a 'Media Type' selection, under which are a number of drop-down dialogs via which you select your paper. 

What are you seeing?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

If printing from LR, first go to Page Set-Up (Print Module, lower left side button), and for Media Size, select the size and the feed source from the drop-down menu available to the side of the size indicator.

Then go to the next button, Print Settings, and make sure to select the correct Media Type relative to your profile, and any other settings you may wish to make. Then click on Presets, Click on Save Current Settings as Preset and give it a name. This will preserve all the settings in Print Settings, but not the choice in Page Set-up. This choice will remain sticky unless you change it, and should always retain the selected Media Size unless you change it, whereupon the new one will be sticky until the next change. Then load the paper by inserting it through the FFA grey tray feed, when it is properly lined up, press "Load" on the LCD and you should be good to go.

robcrandall

Success. Thanks guys.
Yes, I began in lower left of LR Print Module in "Page Setup" and "Print Settings" as I built preset.
I believe my mistake was beginning from within an old Preset (e.g., Epson 3800 Exhibition Fiber) and tweaking with new profile and printer etc., and then saving as "new" preset. When I selected "Default" and built up the new Preset from scratch, the "Front Manual Fine Art Feed Tray" setting was available. Works great now.
Seemed to make sense to delete old presets and old print driver.

Mark, I know you suggest Media Type of "Premium Luster Photo Paper" for Legacy Platine and Baryta (PK) papers. Interestingly, the driver I downloaded/installed today shows: MediaType/PhotoPapers: ExhibFiber and Legacy Plantine and Legacy Baryta (among others) by name in the drop-down menu. So, the exact name of the paper can be selected instead of "Premium Photo Paper Lustre" or "Ultra Premium Photo Paper Lustre." Does that make sense?

P800 quality is tremendous.

I appreciate the guidance. Thanks again.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Success. Thanks guys.
Yes, I began in lower left of LR Print Module in "Page Setup" and "Print Settings" as I built preset.
I believe my mistake was beginning from within an old Preset (e.g., Epson 3800 Exhibition Fiber) and tweaking with new profile and printer etc., and then saving as "new" preset. When I selected "Default" and built up the new Preset from scratch, the "Front Manual Fine Art Feed Tray" setting was available. Works great now.
Seemed to make sense to delete old presets and old print driver.

Mark, I know you suggest Media Type of "Premium Luster Photo Paper" for Legacy Platine and Baryta (PK) papers. Interestingly, the driver I downloaded/installed today shows: MediaType/PhotoPapers: ExhibFiber and Legacy Plantine and Legacy Baryta (among others) by name in the drop-down menu. So, the exact name of the paper can be selected instead of "Premium Photo Paper Lustre" or "Ultra Premium Photo Paper Lustre." Does that make sense?

P800 quality is tremendous.

I appreciate the guidance. Thanks again.

Good glad you got it working. There must have been a very recent driver update, because version 9.41 that I am using does not provide a media choice of the new Legacy papers; however, if the latest driver version is offering this and presuming they have also now keyed the profiles to those new Media Type settings, you should use them if you are using the Epson profiles. You can also experiment with both Media settings and see which gives you the better result.

robcrandall

Driver is v 9.69
Epson SC-P800 Series 2

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Thanks. Good to know. I'm surprised I had not received an update notification through the updater yet. I'll have to check into it.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

OK, with the firmware and the driver updated to the latest version, for those on Mac OSX 10.11.x, if you have had this printer already working with driver version 9.41 and you update to version 9.69, before using the printer, go to System Preferences, delete the printer and then add it again. This will then show the printer with the correct new driver version. Contrary to my guidance above, there is now a substantial change in making the paper source selection. instead of finding this in Page Set-Up>Paper Size, for LR it is now found in Print >Print Settings>Printer Settings>Paper Source. I think this is an improvement, to have the Paper Source identified independently of the Paper Size.

Rand47

OK, with the firmware and the driver updated to the latest version, for those on Mac OSX 10.11.x, if you have had this printer already working with driver version 9.41 and you update to version 9.69, before using the printer, go to System Preferences, delete the printer and then add it again. This will then show the printer with the correct new driver version. Contrary to my guidance above, there is now a substantial change in making the paper source selection. instead of finding this in Page Set-Up>Paper Size, for LR it is now found in Print >Print Settings>Printer Settings>Paper Source. I think this is an improvement, to have the Paper Source identified independently of the Paper Size.

According to the Epson updater app, I have the latest version of the P800 driver, and it shows no Legacy papers in the Media Type drop down.  Do any of you Windows folk have a driver version that does?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Did you verify on the Epson Support page for that printer and yourt OS version that indeed you do have the latest driver installed? You may need to do a manual check between what is on your computer and what the website says is the latest driver, because somehow the Updater App told me yesterday I was up top date but I wasn't. I am on OSX, but I think it's still useful to do this verification, because there is no ostensible reason why the two drivers should have different capabilities, unless the Windows one hasn't been fully updated yet.

Rand47

Did you verify on the Epson Support page for that printer and yourt OS version that indeed you do have the latest driver installed? You may need to do a manual check between what is on your computer and what the website says is the latest driver, because somehow the Updater App told me yesterday I was up top date but I wasn't. I am on OSX, but I think it's still useful to do this verification, because there is no ostensible reason why the two drivers should have different capabilities, unless the Windows one hasn't been fully updated yet.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, I went to the driver page on the Epson web site and it confirms that the driver version I have installed is the current version (Windows 10, driver version 6.72).  Perhaps the Windows version isn't updated yet, but as you say that seems a bit odd.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Hmmm. Really strange. Here are screen grabs of what I get on the latest Mac version of the P800 driver. Anyhow, on further checking here's what's going on, as I suspected: Date of latest Mac Driver is APril 7 2016. Date of latest Windows driver is June 19, 2015. They haven't up-dated the Windows driver yet.

Rand47

Hmmm. Really strange. Here are screen grabs of what I get on the latest Mac version of the P800 driver. Anyhow, on further checking here's what's going on, as I suspected: Date of latest Mac Driver is APril 7 2016. Date of latest Windows driver is June 19, 2015. They haven't up-dated the Windows driver yet.

Mark,

Thanks again.  That's "encouraging" to hear re the update "date" (in a weird second-class citizen sort of way! LOL).

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

You are welcome.

Given how recent the Mac version is, and the fact that it was only released after a long lag (I suppose to sync with the full release of the Legacy papers), I would expect the Windows version to be released in the near future. Or at least I don't know why it shouldn't be. In any case, I don't think it's a big deal. The prints should still be correct as long as the Media Type choice available to you gives you the same media that was keyed for making the target that was measured for the profile you are using.

Rand47

You are welcome.

Given how recent the Mac version is, and the fact that it was only released after a long lag (I suppose to sync with the full release of the Legacy papers), I would expect the Windows version to be released in the near future. Or at least I don't know why it shouldn't be. In any case, I don't think it's a big deal. The prints should still be correct as long as the Media Type choice available to you gives you the same media that was keyed for making the target that was measured for the profile you are using.

Mark,

Quite right, I'm certain.  And I'm achieving lovely prints on the sample pack papers using UPLPP (for Baryta and Platine) as Media Type and the Epson ICC profiles.  I've just manually changed the paper thickness settings in the driver to comport with the actual thickness of the Baryta and Platine spec sheets included with the profile downloads.

But this situation does fall in line with my "wondering" about other oddities in the driver I've experienced - like my comment in an earlier thread about the driver recommending the sheet feed for Exhibition Fiber!   :D

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

From what I see in the User Guide, it seems optional whether you load Exhibition Fiber in the FFA feed or the top feed.

Rand47

From what I see in the User Guide, it seems optional whether you load Exhibition Fiber in the FFA feed or the top feed.

Mark,

Once again, thanks for the ongoing discussion.  And this is where I'm genuinely confused, or at least "wondering."  Exhibition Fiber is 13 mil thick and 325 gsm, yet it is optional to use the sheet feeder.  Ilford GFS is 12.5 mil thick and 315 gsm, and you've been told to use only the FFA feed due to concerns about roller wear.  What is missing in this equation that I'm not understanding?  The GFS is both lighter and thinner than a paper that is OK to use in the sheet feeder.  Is there a "stiffness" component that is separate in some way?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Good point, and I have no idea. If I were using Exhibition Fiber I would use the FFA feed, just to be sure.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up