Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After School on St. Thomas  (Read 2667 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
After School on St. Thomas
« on: April 18, 2016, 04:25:45 pm »

Any Reactions?  Thnx, -t
One Day At A Time

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: After School on St. Thomas
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 04:48:43 pm »

I think this is the best I've seen you do, Todd. I'll leave it to others to point out technical flaws, since they usually don't matter much if you framed something worthwhile when the shutter clicked.

Have you considered this?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 11:38:21 pm »

IMO, the color version is the keeper.

It's the type of picture that can slip through the cracks. When I took the time to study it, I realized it's a sophisticated photograph that works on several levels. I see it as a large print (at least 20" X 20") matted and framed. If you are inclined to enter work in juried art shows, I think this will do well. One technical nit: There is something "off" about the contrast--some areas look too flat while other look too contrasty and dark (such as the child).

I'd need a couple Photoshop sessions to work on this photo before it would be ready to print. And I'm sure I'd then put the print away for a few days and come back to it later to see if I'd gotten it right. ... The end result would be a stunning print.

I spent four hours in post on this one. I've made a single print.  I set it aside for a few days. After studying it, I will now go back and finesse it further. It's about 85% finished--another hour of Photoshop to balance out the values.

I am fussy about printing. Sometimes a RAW photo looks great right out of the camera, other times I see the potential, knowing it will take hours of time in post.  Sometimes its hard to judge whether or not it's worth the effort to bring an image to life.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 12:09:56 am by BobDavid »

stamper

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 03:26:22 am »

I think this is the best I've seen you do, Todd. I'll leave it to others to point out technical flaws, since they usually don't matter much if you framed something worthwhile when the shutter clicked.

I won't look for any technical flaws or suggest any " improvements". It is a very likeable image and thanks for posting. BTW I think the colour works best.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 08:30:39 am »

I also prefer the color version. The colors feel integral to the scene.
This is an excellent shot, worth spending time with as a viewer.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 09:53:36 am »

IMO, the color version is the keeper.

It's the type of picture that can slip through the cracks. When I took the time to study it, I realized it's a sophisticated photograph that works on several levels. I see it as a large print (at least 20" X 20") matted and framed. If you are inclined to enter work in juried art shows, I think this will do well. One technical nit: There is something "off" about the contrast--some areas look too flat while other look too contrasty and dark (such as the child).

I'd need a couple Photoshop sessions to work on this photo before it would be ready to print. And I'm sure I'd then put the print away for a few days and come back to it later to see if I'd gotten it right. ... The end result would be a stunning print.

I spent four hours in post on this one. I've made a single print.  I set it aside for a few days. After studying it, I will now go back and finesse it further. It's about 85% finished--another hour of Photoshop to balance out the values.

I am fussy about printing. Sometimes a RAW photo looks great right out of the camera, other times I see the potential, knowing it will take hours of time in post.  Sometimes its hard to judge whether or not it's worth the effort to bring an image to life.

Hi Bob, I'm torn between the color and B&W versions. Like you I'm not terribly happy with the contrast, and in the B&W I did a bit of work on that, but the work needs to be done on the original raw version. I don't agree with you about post-processing. Here's a paragraph from a message I sent to a group of students I'm working with:

"Recently we've covered light and composition, which are two of the most important considerations in visual art. If you get light, composition, and subject matter right, you have a picture worth showing. Everything after that -- post processing for instance -- is just grunt work. There's always some grunt work to be done because the photographic process isn't complete in itself, but if you didn't get it right at the moment the shutter clicked, no amount of grunt work is likely to improve the things that matter."

I stand by that statement.

Because of equipment limitations we could consider a lot of Cartier-Bresson's work to be technically sub-standard, but it's still some of the finest art that's been produced with a camera. The art isn't  in post-processing. It's in having things right when the shutter goes click. If you can do that you have a winner. You should know that because you have a lot of winners.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 01:13:06 pm »

My thanks to everyone who weighed in, much appreciated. I will start over from raw and work on it a week or so before I repost the results for further critique. I've done both B&W and Color versions, and think either could be OK, but I like the color best so I will see if I can bring it up to par. Below is a jpg of the raw capture. Thanks you again, todd.
One Day At A Time

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 02:09:37 pm »

Hi Bob, I'm torn between the color and B&W versions. Like you I'm not terribly happy with the contrast, and in the B&W I did a bit of work on that, but the work needs to be done on the original raw version. I don't agree with you about post-processing. Here's a paragraph from a message I sent to a group of students I'm working with:

"Recently we've covered light and composition, which are two of the most important considerations in visual art. If you get light, composition, and subject matter right, you have a picture worth showing. Everything after that -- post processing for instance -- is just grunt work. There's always some grunt work to be done because the photographic process isn't complete in itself, but if you didn't get it right at the moment the shutter clicked, no amount of grunt work is likely to improve the things that matter."

I stand by that statement.

Because of equipment limitations we could consider a lot of Cartier-Bresson's work to be technically sub-standard, but it's still some of the finest art that's been produced with a camera. The art isn't  in post-processing. It's in having things right when the shutter goes click. If you can do that you have a winner. You should know that because you have a lot of winners.

Russ, I respect your point-of-view 100%. The great thing about photography is it's not a one-size-fits-all endeavor. Understandably, a lot of people hate spending time in post for many reasons--ranging from philosophical to lack of interest. I enjoy post--it's entertaining and challenging.  Confession: I size-up the amount of post work that will be required before pressing the shutter button. I love the work of Cartier-Bresson, Robert Frank, Diane Arbus, and, Gary Winogrand. I am not wired to take those kinds of pictures. However I greatly admire/appreciate their work.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 02:19:16 pm by BobDavid »

RSL

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 03:37:54 pm »

You're not the only one, Bob. I have a good friend -- a guy I flew fighter-bombers with in Korea 63 years ago -- for whom post-processing is the whole shebang. He loves it and nowadays spends most of his time doing it. From my own point of view I think he needs professional help, but, as you said -- different strokes for different folks.

BobDavid

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 05:58:06 pm »

You're not the only one, Bob. I have a good friend -- a guy I flew fighter-bombers with in Korea 63 years ago -- for whom post-processing is the whole shebang. He loves it and nowadays spends most of his time doing it. From my own point of view I think he needs professional help, but, as you said -- different strokes for different folks.

Russ, my dad passed away a few weeks ago. He was a Korean vet and served honorably. He was a lieutenant in the air force, stationed at F.E. Warren AFB. He wanted to fly, but his eyesight was not up to snuff. The air force recognized his people management and organizational skills. His mission was to oversee the training of 500 foreign allied soldiers. After his commission, he was offered a career in the diplomat corps. He would have accepted had my mom not wanted to return back home.

Speaking of professional help, I am under the care of a psychiatrist for OCD. Maybe you've hit onto something.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 11:25:46 am »

Second Edit
One Day At A Time

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 07:55:11 pm »

I like it.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 08:46:20 pm »

Second edit nails it. Nice work!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 10:01:21 am »

Thanks everyone for the input.  -t
One Day At A Time

RSL

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 10:23:57 am »