Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb Film Scanner Question  (Read 3546 times)

mschubb

Dumb Film Scanner Question
« on: May 23, 2006, 02:07:33 am »

I'm trying to figure which dedicated film scanners scan the full frame of 35mm negs and slides.  

I usually print 35mm images full frame with sloppy borders showing the black edges and I'd like the same look with digital prints, but my Minolta ScanDual III crops the edges of the frame.   (I'm scanning kodachrome slides and tri-x and Fuji NPS negs)

Anyone here solved this -- or have a scanner they'd recommend?  

(Can't afford an imacon, so minolta or nikon or... ???)

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 02:08:44 am by mschubb »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 03:01:11 am »

I'm trying to figure which dedicated film scanners scan the full frame of 35mm negs and slides.   

I usually print 35mm images full frame with sloppy borders showing the black edges and I'd like the same look with digital prints, but my Minolta ScanDual III crops the edges of the frame.   (I'm scanning kodachrome slides and tri-x and Fuji NPS negs)

Thanks in advance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You could definitely do it with a medium format scanner like the Coolscan 9000 by putting the 35 mm neg in a 120 glass holder.

I don't think that any dedicated 35 mm film scanner has a CCD large enough to scan the entre stripe, but I could be wrong of course.

Regards,
Bernard

TurnerJon

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 04:45:22 am »

The Minolta Dual Scan IV will scan to three crops, just inside the edge, at the edge, and just outside the edge. Even set to just inside the edge, it will leave a little of the rough edges. I will usually crop to just at the edge or inside the edge to get the most accurate color balance. Most of the time I will still have to trim just a hair in Photoshop for clean edges.

dmerger

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 06:03:26 am »

My Minolta 5400 (original version) scans a little more than a 35mm frame.  A full scan size is 7800 x 5232 pixels.  I haven't tested to see if all those pixels can be used, but I know that I get more than a full 35mm frame.
Dean Erger

r42ogn

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 08:45:59 am »

I usually print 35mm images full frame with sloppy borders showing the black edges and I'd like the same look with digital prints, but my Minolta ScanDual III crops the edges of the frame.   (I'm scanning kodachrome slides and tri-x and Fuji NPS negs)

Thanks in advance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My Nikon Coolscan V ED won't scan that far out either, only just off the edge of frame.  You can do it on my Canoscan D2400 by using the 120 holder and I suspect most flatbeads can do this.

mschubb

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 06:07:10 pm »

Thanks for the responses.

Anyone have an idea about the Coolscan 5000 ED and full frame?  Will it be the same as the V ED?  

(am tempted by the option of the 50 load slide feeder as a way to archive all my chromes -- despite knowing that the best of those images will eventually need a custom scan for printing)
Pages: [1]   Go Up