Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf6300 - Optimal Printer Settings For Canson Platine  (Read 1146 times)

John Hollenberg

Canon ipf6300 - Optimal Printer Settings For Canson Platine
« on: April 17, 2016, 10:17:09 pm »

I am experimenting with Canson Platine Fibre Rag on my ipf6300.  I loaded an 8.5X11 sheet in the top slot and made a test print using Cansons profile.  Accidentally had the media type set to Premium Semi-gloss 280 rather than the Special 4 which was recommended.  Had highest (600 dpi) selected in the printer driver, also had checked "High Precision Photographs", which I later learned may not have been a good choice since that reportedly lowers the printhead height: http://www.on-sight.com/canon-x300-printer-review/

Print came out looking very nice, except for the smudges (head strikes I presume) on the edge.
Can anyone suggest settings to fix this problem?  I am not sure whether to change head height, vacuum strength or not check "High Precision Photographs".
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:24:51 pm by John Hollenberg »

John Hollenberg

Re: Canon ipf6300 - Optimal Printer Settings For Canson Platine
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 01:04:04 pm »

Here is the answer I got from Scott Martin, the color consultant who wrote the Canon X300 printer review linked in my original post:

Don’t select "High Precision Photographs” nor “Highest  (Max Number of Passes)”. Set the vacuum to maximum and only raise the head height if you have to.

Some sheet papers don’t lie flat. Fiber base papers are especially prone to this. And especially when the paper dries out. If you put a sheet of this paper on a countertop, do the edges stick up? If so, there’s your problem. For sheets like this I have a technique for gently bending the edges back down to prevent edge head strikes like you’re seeing.

deanwork

Re: Canon ipf6300 - Optimal Printer Settings For Canson Platine
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 10:37:09 pm »

Yea, high-precision is for super fine text, but I don't even use it for that. Both HP and Canon have this setting and neither one of them were very clear about when and why to use it. I've done tests and never saw a difference with photographic work.

With Platine I've always used the Special 4 media setting and I've never had any issues with either the head distance or the way the inks is laid down.

Here is the answer I got from Scott Martin, the color consultant who wrote the Canon X300 printer review linked in my original post:

Don’t select "High Precision Photographs” nor “Highest  (Max Number of Passes)”. Set the vacuum to maximum and only raise the head height if you have to.

Some sheet papers don’t lie flat. Fiber base papers are especially prone to this. And especially when the paper dries out. If you put a sheet of this paper on a countertop, do the edges stick up? If so, there’s your problem. For sheets like this I have a technique for gently bending the edges back down to prevent edge head strikes like you’re seeing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up