Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: H5D-40 CF Adapter  (Read 6334 times)

Chris Livsey

Re: H5D-40 CF Adapter
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 02:34:48 am »

Hi Chris
Thanks very much for the links.

I have talked to the H lens designer about the difference between H and V lenses, and he said that broadly speaking the H lenses all perform better than their nearest equivalent V lenses ( not really surprising considering they are much more modern designs).

One of the biggest differences is performance across focussing range. For example a legacy wide angle lens will perform well at infinity but not close up. A modern lens might be slightly better at infinity but markedly better close up.

It is remarkable that the legacy glass, designed in the slide rule age, have only so relatively recently been surpassed significantly and then only in some areas of performance. Given the computing power, glass formulations and the ability to form complex barrels and interior movements with polycarbonate, he recent advances in the 35mm lenses, at a financial cost of course, makes me wonder if another jump is due.
If the foreshadowed new Hasselblad "portable" model has a new lens range, and sticking HC glass on any body is going to stretch "portable", it could be interesting indeed on the optics. If compatibility with CFE CF F and HC lenses were  available that could be a huge market for them and may allow a competitive price, wishful thinking?

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 04:55:11 pm »

It is remarkable that the legacy glass, designed in the slide rule age, have only so relatively recently been surpassed significantly and then only in some areas of performance. Given the computing power, glass formulations and the ability to form complex barrels and interior movements with polycarbonate, he recent advances in the 35mm lenses, at a financial cost of course, makes me wonder if another jump is due.
If the foreshadowed new Hasselblad "portable" model has a new lens range, and sticking HC glass on any body is going to stretch "portable", it could be interesting indeed on the optics. If compatibility with CFE CF F and HC lenses were  available that could be a huge market for them and may allow a competitive price, wishful thinking?

I completely agree. 

When I'm not rocking medium format, modern Leica glass on modern Leica rangefinders is my pleasure.  Optics recent enough to enjoy the full fruits of computer-aided design, modern close-tolerance manufacturing, and rare glass blanks.  It's something of a mystery, then, that those old V-system Zeiss lenses manage to do what they do.  It almost makes you believe in magic.

Then again, those old boys with their slide rules did some pretty amazing things.  Including putting a bunch of guys on the moon, and bringing them back again.

Joe Towner

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 07:52:38 pm »

I was chatting with my local rental folks and they referenced a film that was of such fine grain, that only the Hasselblad could shoot it well.  Then again the warning labels on the development chemicals stated clearly 'use will give you testicular cancer'.  I don't doubt the ability of the V lenses to do 100mp or better, I am highly concerned that tolerances and expectations won't hold up to 100mp.

I mean really, the 100mp Phase backs have been out a while, where is the Alpa FPS with V glass example images at?

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 07:57:31 pm »

when i traded in my Leica for a Hassy, twenty five years ago, I got slides with black blacks, clean colors, and bokeh to die for. the resolution? I never cared.

even now, any camera that can do A3 is good enough for me.

Edmund

I was chatting with my local rental folks and they referenced a film that was of such fine grain, that only the Hasselblad could shoot it well.  Then again the warning labels on the development chemicals stated clearly 'use will give you testicular cancer'.  I don't doubt the ability of the V lenses to do 100mp or better, I am highly concerned that tolerances and expectations won't hold up to 100mp.

I mean really, the 100mp Phase backs have been out a while, where is the Alpa FPS with V glass example images at?

-Joe
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

hasselbladfan

Second-hand HC lenses
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 12:13:01 pm »

Ahh that's very helpful, thanks a lot Steve!

Bob,

I believe you got already a lot of useful info above, but I would not rule out the HC lenses completely.

If you are not in a hurry, you can pick up from time to time a nice second-hand one around 2,000 bucks. You just have to be patient. I got over the years a 28mm, a 50mm II, a 100mm and a 210mm. All for very reasonable prices.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up