Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Triggers for strobes  (Read 3929 times)

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
Wireless Triggers for strobes
« on: April 16, 2016, 09:17:37 pm »

I've used the 'pocket wizard' brand for years but now my units are flaking out. Are they still the 'go to' trigger or is there a new kid on the block that the industry has moved to? I use broncolor strobes.

Thanks

frfr

Re: Wireless Triggers for strobes
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 08:46:22 am »

Would it worth adding RFS to your current packs? I am using RFS 2.1 trigger with my grafit packs and I find it super reliable. Plus you don't have to worry about changing battery for several years, 3-5 years I think.
François Trézin
www.frfrfrfr.com

nik

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 12:39:51 am »

I will try that, RFS will be useful, thanks.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 01:16:00 pm »

I've used the 'pocket wizard' brand for years but now my units are flaking out. Are they still the 'go to' trigger or is there a new kid on the block that the industry has moved to? I use broncolor strobes.

Thanks

Which models do you currently have? My oldest Pocketwizard units are a  transmitter/receiver pair of "MAX" units going back to the late 1990s and they are still working fine and work in conjunction with my newer three MultiMAX transceivers (two v1 and one v2) and ControlTL units.  . I do take the batteries out when they are not in use.

nik

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 01:47:26 pm »

I have the old tx/rx MAX units like yours. They still work 95% of the time but are starting to flake out. I have ordered an RFS 2.1 unit.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 06:44:56 am »

I have the old tx/rx MAX units like yours. They still work 95% of the time but are starting to flake out. I have ordered an RFS 2.1 unit.

Are you sure the problem is not your sync cords or possibly the hotshoe connection either on the tx unit or your camera?

frfr

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 02:34:07 am »

Hi Nik,

I forgot to ask previously: is your generator RFS compatible? If not you will also need to have RFS function added to the generator.
François Trézin
www.frfrfrfr.com

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 11:03:02 am »

What is the process/charge to upgrade a pack to RFS? I didn't know this could be done to packs that didn't come with it. I have 2 Grafit A plus packs.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 02:51:53 pm »

What is the process/charge to upgrade a pack to RFS? I didn't know this could be done to packs that didn't come with it. I have 2 Grafit A plus packs.

And what is the cost to benefit ratio for doing it? Just because it is possible to do it doesn't mean it makes sense to do it, from a purely business point of view.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 05:40:36 pm »

And what is the cost to benefit ratio for doing it? Just because it is possible to do it doesn't mean it makes sense to do it, from a purely business point of view.

RFS works great with Grafit. We updated all our units. There is a kit which contains everything needed at a fairly reasonable price. The benefit is you can remotely control every function of each of your packs by computer if you add the usb transmitter as well, you can additionally divide them into groups and trigger them individually. This may not be important to everyone but if you place a unit on a ceiling rail system, or you are on location and have one pack placed on the opposite side of the building in another floor...Of course YMMV.
Downside is the RFS transmitter (which also let you control the master dial for all units in that group btw) is fairly expensive and is not ultra high speed. I also don´t know if this kit is available in RFS2 version for Grafit packs.
broncolor Grafits are not the newest equipment but they still are one of the best packs money can buy and they seem to last forever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up