Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Crab Spiders @ 2:1  (Read 4560 times)

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
Crab Spiders @ 2:1
« on: April 16, 2016, 07:08:00 pm »

Both specimens about the size of a grain of rice ...

Taken with an all-manual, Nikon 28mm f/2.8 Ai-S lens, reverse-mounted on an adapter ring, with 8-21 images stacked on each, using Photoshop.

Natural light, no flash. Focus achieved with macro rail on a tripod.

Jack
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:45:28 pm by John Koerner »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Crab Spiders
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 08:43:31 pm »

Those are truly amazing images! Nice work!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John Koerner

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 08:50:01 pm »

Eric

Thanks Eric :D

These are at twice the closeness a standard macro brings.

They are not crops either, they took up the whole frame ...

Wish I could display the full-sized 7300+ px-wide images! :o

Cheers.

Arlen

Re: Crab Spiders @ 2:1
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 08:52:00 pm »

Very cool, I love macro bug images. The second one is my favorite.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 12:48:25 am »

Beautiful images! Great work.
-MattB

the_marshall_101

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 09:28:09 am »

Eric

Eric said it!

John Koerner

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 04:00:59 pm »

Very cool, I love macro bug images. The second one is my favorite.

Beautiful images! Great work.

Eric said it!

Thank you.

I got some messages as to how I was able to achieve this, by reversing the lens. I posted the equipment on another thread, but (since it is impossible to follow every thread :o) I am happy re-post here.

The tools are so simple and relatively cheap.

I use the old, standard Nikon 28mm Ai-S, which is still all-manual.
I am able to reverse the lens with a $35 ring to get 2.1x life-size.

I set the lens to infinity, which offers the greatest working distance, and I adjust the aperture to f/8 (I can adjust, if I need more light, but I find f/8 ideal.)
You cannot focus a reverse-mounted lens, so I use a macro rail on my tripod.
I also use a remote switch.

That is pretty much it :D

Different lens lengths offer different magnification ratios.

The 20mm = 3.4x lifesize.
The 28mm = 2.1x lifesize.
The 50mm = 1.1x lifesize (standard macro).

I find the 28mm an ideal compromize. It gets me twice as close as a standard macro without being "too" close for a realistic solution in the field.

I took these 4 field shots with 1 lens (the 28mm).

I used the "infinity" end of the wide-angle lens (properly-oriented) to document the entire area, looking back, where I hiked:

I used the mid-range end of the lens and document the plant/flower upon which I found the spider:

The lens also has a very close min focusing distance (properly-mounted) to get a standard close-up of the flower type on which it was found (again, normal lens mounting):

And then, just slapping on a simple reverse-ring, and turning the lens around, I am able to get an ultra-close 2:1 macro shot of the spider on the end of a flower bud (again, stacked image, natural light, macro rail):

Again, all from 1 small, innocuous lens 8)

I consider this lens to be the most versatile, valuable lens in my bag. (And also the least expensive.)

Jack

PS: Attached is a copy of the package insert of the BR-2A Ring specs for the various magnifications possible by using a reverse-ring (manual-aperture lenses preferred).

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 05:42:36 pm »

Brilliant technique, John. Great combination of the old - reverse-mounting a WA lens on a rail - with the new - focus-stacking.

How is it the crab spiders or the plants didn't move!!!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

John Koerner

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 06:10:42 pm »

Brilliant technique, John. Great combination of the old - reverse-mounting a WA lens on a rail - with the new - focus-stacking.

Thank you. I am really liking Photoshop CC's stacking compared to CS4/5.

The simplicity of a rail and MF lens has its advantages and disadvantages  ;D

Trust me, they move! (I took 299 images, of which I kept maybe 1/3rd)

That said, time of day either maximizes or minimizes your results, with light as well as with wind movement.

Typically either early morning, or just before sunset, creates the least wind and best light. (These were taken around 6:30 pm.)

Also, crab spiders (by their very nature) make great stacking subjects: as they are ambush predators, that sit motionless, just waiting ... no way can you take 21 stack shots of a jumper on a hot day.

Jack

PS: If you ever want to try an exercise in futility, try taking a 3:1 macro stack-shot of a perpetually-moving Pekhamia ant-mimic jumping spider. They are about the size of a large hyphen in a book, and they never stop moving. They are impossible to stack and require controlled conditions + flash (and even then it is almost impossible to do) :-\

By contrast, crab spiders often keep the same position for 5-10 minutes, or more.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 06:32:28 pm »

I'm convinced that Jack hypnotizes the spiders before he sets up his apparatus.   ;)

Thanks for the explanation of your method, Jack. It still takes a very good eye and careful technique. Very fine work.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John Koerner

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 08:56:48 pm »

I'm convinced that Jack hypnotizes the spiders before he sets up his apparatus.   ;)

Thanks for the explanation of your method, Jack. It still takes a very good eye and careful technique. Very fine work.

Eric

Thank you, good sir

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 04:17:24 am »

Amazing work.

philaitman

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 05:35:06 am »

Absolutely amazing photographs.

Thank you for the detailed description of the process. Stunning and great patience required.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 09:18:32 am »

Sensational photos! Thank you also for talking about your technique.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 11:21:49 am »

Hiya John, great shots! You are giving me nightmares!!  :)

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

James Clark

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 09:58:16 pm »

Quote from: John Koerner

Wish I could display the full-sized 7300+ px-wide images! :o

Cheers.

I don't ;).  Amazing work though!

John Koerner

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 12:24:35 pm »

Thanks again for the comments :D

A few more words on the 28mm Ai-S:

It's funny, I was just talking this as my favorite, all-around lens, for the reasons displayed above.
(It does super-wide, wide, close-up, and extreme macro ... all in 1 inexpensive lens.) And then I read this:

• "The Nikkor 28mm f/2.8s also famed for its ability to deliver images of extremely high contrast and resolution. It has long been a favorite among many seasoned photographers as one of the best wideangle lens for all round photography ....

"Wide 74° picture coverage lets you handle wide scope of applications, such as it can be used to take candids, portraits of people in their surroundings, landscapes, travel photos, night lights, architecture and interiors, nudes, and star trails etc.
    * Focuses down to 0.2m (0.7 ft.) - the closest minimum focusing distance of any Nikkor lens; Close-Range Correction System insures sharp images even at its closest focusing distance.
    * Excellent for high-magnification close-ups when mounted in reverse on a bellows unit - up to nearly 9X magnification is possible.
    * Superb picture quality from center to edges because it is extremely well corrected for coma and spherical aberration.
    * Exceptionally light - weighs only 250 grams."

Check out the full article.

All I know is, I am a believer.

The small size + light weight + low price yet high-quality + the incredibly-wide range potential applications have made this my favorite lens on a hike.

I still bring some specialized lenses, but this 1 lens does more total work now than any of them.

Jack
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 06:29:36 pm by John Koerner »

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 04:22:07 pm »

Thanks for the informations and the photos!

P.S. In this forum I miss a section  for macro photography.

John Koerner

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 09:41:09 am »

Thanks back, Muntanela!

A few more words on the 28mm Ai-S from the latest Nikon 1001 Nights articles, compiled on the development of certain lenses:

• "While many users tend to focus on aspects and specifications ... I think that more importance should be placed on minimum focus distance and maximum reproduction ratio. These aspects are directly related to the degree of flexibility a lens offers. For example, have you ever photographed flowers with a normal zoom lens, and then switched to a telephoto lens to make the flowers appear larger or closer, only to find that you couldn't make the flowers appear any larger or closer because the minimum focus distance for the telephoto lens was quite long? Micro lenses are the best lenses for situations like this. Therefore, with actual shooting, the minimum focus distance is every bit as important as focal length. If we look at brochures in this way, the unique characteristics of the AI Nikkor 28mm f/2.8S covered in this tale become clear. It has a minimum focus distance of just 20 cm, one of the shortest among wide-angle lenses, and a high maximum reproduction ratio of 1/3.9×. This is one of the reasons this "approachability" is still included in our manual focus lens lineup."

The fact I can get so close to a subject, and capture the environment behind it, is what makes the 28mm f/2.8 Ai-S such a great naturalist's lens to me. While no, single lens is perfect, this comes as close to a perfect, single lens (for my purposes) as I have ever shot with. The detail, color, and bokeh I am able to get (reversed) as a macro lens is exceptional. Its low weight and low cost make me comfortable using it "for anything." It does many things very well, some exceptionally well. The landscape shot I took, above, had an overcast sky and it didn't seem to affect the detail or contrast. Also, with Lightroom, so much can be "brought back" that I am not too worried about it.

This lens can't replace my 300mm telephoto for distance shots of creatures that won't allow close approach, and I can't capture a 1:1 butterfly shot from a far-away distance (as I can with my Voigtländer 125mm) either, but the 28mm Ai-S can capture everything else about the natural world that these two lenses cannot duplicate. And, reversed, it goes 2:1, not just a mere 1:1. So it takes me beyond a standard macro also. Further, when oriented properly, it can also capture very close "near-macro" shots, and the environment behind the tiny subjects, because it allows such close approach while still being wide-angle. (In this respect, the Nikon Ai-S is very much like the new Laowa 15mm f/4 Wide Angle 1:1 Macro.)

The all-manual Nikon 28mm f/2.8 Ai-S may not be perfect at all things; but it is really good at just about everything I need it to be good at 8)

Jack

KMRennie

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 12:30:49 pm »

Tremendous work. You exhibit skills and patience that are in a completely different league to any that I even aspire to.
Ken
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up