Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning Your Lenses and Camera?  (Read 2297 times)

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
Cleaning Your Lenses and Camera?
« on: April 15, 2016, 10:39:48 pm »

I am curious what people use to rub their lenses and cameras down with after a hike.

Not the glass lens element, but the outside of their lenses (barrel) as well as cameras.

I use the Giottos Lens Cleaning Kit for my lens elements, but what about the outside of the lens and the camera itself.

Sometimes, after a hike, esp. after a light rain, the camera and lenses can feel sticky and dirty.

What is best to use to keep your gear clean on the outside?

muntanela

• BRATA
Re: Cleaning Your Lenses and Camera?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 04:39:14 am »

When, rarely, I clean them, I use brush and  blower (Giottos) and, if they are wet, a chamois leather.

jrsforums

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 07:35:10 am »

I am curious what people use to rub their lenses and cameras down with after a hike.

Not the glass lens element, but the outside of their lenses (barrel) as well as cameras.

I use the Giottos Lens Cleaning Kit for my lens elements, but what about the outside of the lens and the camera itself.

Sometimes, after a hike, esp. after a light rain, the camera and lenses can feel sticky and dirty.

What is best to use to keep your gear clean on the outside?

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/the-lensrentals-lens-cleaning-methods/
John

John Koerner

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 10:02:04 am »

Thank you both, and that link is bookmarked.

Cheers,

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 12:56:59 pm »

damp cotton swabs and tap water. You might like distilled if you don't have good water softener.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 01:04:24 pm »

If they are dusty, I try to blow and brush them off. I'll use compressed air in a way that (hopefully) won't force any dust into the cam, but it's nice for blowing across (not directly at) surfaces to get the dust off. If they are wet I use a microfiber washcloth kind of thing to wipe off any surface moisture.
-MattB

John Koerner

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 08:53:19 am »

Hi;

It's not the dust that bothers me, it's the "sticky" residue that gets on them after light rains as well as brushing up against foliage, etc., after long hikes.

I am wanting to know what cleaners to use, that won't harm the tools (erode plastic, etc.), but that will clean any trace of residue off, etc.

Jack

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 02:24:42 pm »

In the true spirit of prevention being better than cure, what about keepìng them firmly in the bag until you actually have a shot to make? Of course, if your life entails shooting from the hip, I understand why this ain't no philosophy for you!

Rob

AreBee

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 03:06:46 pm »

Jack,

...it's the "sticky" residue that gets on them after light rains as well as brushing up against foliage, etc., after long hikes.

I am wanting to know what cleaners to use, that won't harm the tools (erode plastic, etc.), but that will clean any trace of residue off, etc.

WD-40, but test on a small inconspicuous area first.

jrsforums

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 03:12:53 pm »

Hi;

It's not the dust that bothers me, it's the "sticky" residue that gets on them after light rains as well as brushing up against foliage, etc., after long hikes.

Jack

Did you not read the lens rentals article...

The Lens Body, Hoods, and Caps
Obviously cleaning this doesn’t make the lens work a bit better, but it’s nice to have a clean lens. And it’s definitely worthwhile for a lens you plan on selling. The plastic and metal on the outside of the the lens barrel, hood, camera bodies, and caps are easily wiped clean with a chamois dampened with cleaning fluid. We generally use Purosol. It’s not the strongest cleaner but it leaves no residue and doesn’t seem to cause any adverse effects on the rubber zoom or focus rings, or plastic distance windows. Tough areas are spot cleaned with a premoistened electronic wipe or a bit of eclipse.

While they talk of lens body, there is no reason this will not work on camera body.
John

John Koerner

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 06:26:48 pm »

In the true spirit of prevention being better than cure, what about keepìng them firmly in the bag until you actually have a shot to make?

You can't keep a camera "in a bag" while hiking looking for natural subjects.

Your moments to photograph them, oftentimes, are fleeting ... and "rummaging through a bag" while you have a brief moment to get a shot = missing the shot, more often than not.

Of course, if your life entails shooting from the hip, I understand why this ain't no philosophy for you!
Rob

Of course, if your life is spent sitting at a computer monitor, or engaging in static shots, I can understand why you'd be perplexed at the thought of "having a camera at the ready" ...

Jack

John Koerner

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 06:28:29 pm »

Did you not read the lens rentals article...

As I said, yes.

While they talk of lens body, there is no reason this will not work on camera body.

What makes you think I couldn't infer this on my own?
Pages: [1]   Go Up