Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kudos to Phase One, on the X-Pro2 work--raw conversion  (Read 4432 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Kudos to Phase One, on the X-Pro2 work--raw conversion
« on: April 15, 2016, 12:20:08 pm »

After reviewing C1 9.1.1 on over 200 different raw files from my X-Pro2, I have to say, great job.  Phase One, has done a great job on pulling the finer details out without the creating the known issues that Adobe just can't seem to figure out, watercolor or just strange issues with the finer details. 

I actually am finding what I consider to be better overall conversions with the X-Pro2 over my X-T1.  But C1 does a nice job on those also.

One issue that I was doing on all my Fuji conversions is to slide the details slider to the left (as it's under noise reduction), don't do this move it to the far right as this really pulls up the finer details.  The colors are excellent files look very good. Add to this the power of the local adjustments in C1, you have an excellent workspace.

LR still leads with the ability to combine and make HDR or Pano's while still raw (dng) for but now the extra details I am seeing in C1, over rule the LR conversions.  Just adds an extra step having to import back to LR for the pano, but it works.

Again, Kudo's to David and team, the results were worth the wait.

Edit:  It's too darn bad that C1 can't process more than one file with out giving this error over and over and over and over again. THE DREADED ERROR WHEN PROCESSING A FILE ERROR, which I still get across all my windows machines (7) and no matter what the raw file is from Fuji to Phase One IQ100. 
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107751.0
Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:20:27 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JaapD

Re: Kudos to Phase One, on the X-Pro2 work--raw conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 08:33:21 am »

Paul,

You did not mention anything about the non-functioning lens corrections. It looks like a C1 bug to me. What is your opinion on this?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 12:35:21 pm »

Paul,

You did not mention anything about the non-functioning lens corrections. It looks like a C1 bug to me. What is your opinion on this?

That's not a "bug". Xpro2 support is preliminary (as indicated in the release notes) meaning some parts of supporting it are not implemented or are not final.

JaapD

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 01:29:00 am »

Doug, I expect preliminary sw releases to be buggy, I have no problem with this. With this the manufacturer gets feedback from the field and can use this to improve their next release. However keep in mind that it is nevertheless still a bug in case something is not working correctly.

A decent sw manufacturer should explicitly describe the already known bugs and/or incomplete functionality in their release notes. Only stating ‘preliminary’ and let the client figure out what works and what not while data such as missing lens corrections should be available at C1 is in this case not good practice.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:40:07 am by JaapD »

mediumcool

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 02:47:24 am »

Any users of both C1 9+ and Iridient Developer care to make and show a comparison of output?  :)
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Baxter

• http://www.baxterbradford.com
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 05:03:20 am »

I've sent in support case asking for Capture One to be able to read the Lossless Compressed RAW files of X-Pro2. I'm away to Iceland end of June and would like to be able to use this format since file sizes are <50% than uncompressed. Sadly I've not had a response in the week since I sent it.
Will try your advice about detail slider.
Lens corrections urgently needed too!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 09:03:10 am »

Any users of both C1 9+ and Iridient Developer care to make and show a comparison of output?  :)

In my experience, the conversion from Iridient will be more detailed as they have a better handle on the democaize process and their sharpening routine, seem to pull out the best of finer details. 

But, C1 has better color to me, and so much more more to offer with the adjustment layers that I prefer to work in C1.  I wish C1 would offer a panorama process like LR, as for me LR just does the best job on Fuji for pano's.  iridient just has very basic controls for image work, and they are all effective on 100% of the file. 

I can follow up on the C1 conversion with either Piccure+ or Focus Magic and get relatively equal amounts of details. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

af_ahoy

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 09:36:32 am »

One issue that I was doing on all my Fuji conversions is to slide the details slider to the left (as it's under noise reduction), don't do this move it to the far right as this really pulls up the finer details.

I think this is really worth emphasising, as the difference can be quite dramatic. Here's a 100% crop from a shot from my XE1 with 200 sharpening at a radius of 0.4, but with Details set to 0:

Now here's the same crop but with Details set to 100:

Baxter

• http://www.baxterbradford.com
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 10:13:33 am »

The 100% detail slider really does improve image quality. It's now part of my Std User preset. I couldn't see any benefit of using 200% and 0.4 pixels on my X-Pro2 files, it seemed less detailed than the 140% and 0.8 pixel default setting.

I've heard back from Phase about support for the Lossless Compressed file format. They are hoping to offer this and also Chromatic Aberration plus lens corrections. Fuji are using different compression and it proved tricky to implement in first release for the X-Pro2. I'd also asked about Auto Mask for layers, but this won't be offered for RAF files.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 12:06:41 pm »

Always interests me, why LR can get their auto mask to work on RAF, but C1, can't.  It sure would be nice, but sounds like it's not in the cards.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 02:44:52 pm »

Always interests me, why LR can get their auto mask to work on RAF, but C1, can't.  It sure would be nice, but sounds like it's not in the cards.

Paul C

Our auto mask is based on the bayer pattern.  I guess Adobe use a different method.
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

AlterEgo

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 02:51:16 pm »

Our auto mask is based on the bayer pattern.  I guess Adobe use a different method.

everything (that user can control through UI in ACR/LR) Adobe does is ___after___ demosaicking... so naturally.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 03:24:48 pm »

Hi David.

Thanks for the clarification. What's so interesting is C1 does a much better job on the actual raw conversion vs LR Adobe's strange issues with the plastic look at least that what I tend to call it.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up