Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One on the A7RII giving me disappointing results  (Read 22825 times)

AlterEgo

Re: Suggesting an interesting image to analyse (now with ARW image)
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 02:48:30 pm »

To explain it a bit better, the film curve makes the image look much brighter than the linear curve
one can also use film extra shadow... it is a better one than film standard

AlterEgo

Re: Capture One on the A7RII giving me disappointing results
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2016, 02:54:56 pm »

Just a question: do you think that using the embedded camera profile is a good idea?  The profiles are very small (around 200KB) which may result in interpolation errors (although I expect that P1 makes good profiles .. . and as the cameras are quite linear, small tables are probably OK).  I would have thought that if you want to keep as large a color space as possible that it would be better to go to a large working space like ProPhoto, rather than stay in the camera profile.

C1 works in "camera space" till output, you can not avoid to stay there, you can only alter where you output to (and then as you ultimately need to do a color transform may be what CMM is going to do, and when, that transform - you can do on C1 side or you can postpone it till later in postprocessing, using the data in icc/icm container)... and then that has nothing to do w/ interpolation errors from LUTs... regular (P1 supplied) C1 profiles are 33x33x33 LUTs, you can make (on purpose) 45x45x45 lut but with such bends that it will be ugly.

and as the cameras are quite linear, small tables are probably OK

this again has nothing to do with cameras being "linear" but with what was/is (if at all) the "creative" intent when camera profile was created... the linear input (and it is not linear when you come in C1 to the point when color transform happens - see 'transfer function' + your own edits) does not preclude such bends in LUTs aiming @ certain things that you will see harsh transitions/posterization and other ill effects.

PS: not that profiles included in C1 aim to do that
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:01:36 pm by AlterEgo »

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2016, 03:17:13 pm »

Update: Raw image is here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/DRArticle/CanoeStadium/_DSC6262.ARW

This is coming from my Alpha 99, not A7rII, but I would say it is an interesting case:

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/DRArticle/CanoeStadium/20141109-_DSC6262.dng (I will post the ARW image this evening, the DNG has the ARW imbedded).

The image has very bright sky, with the disc of the sun recoverable, it also has dark detail. This is a typical high flare situtaion, however, so luminance ratio on sensor will be limited by lens flare.

Yes, it is an interesting (and very nice) image.  In fact, I found that I got the best result with C1 and a linear curve.  Of course I also applied some local adjustment gradients as you did:

I didn't try to pull back too much detail from the rowers and boats (as you did), but the detail is there.  BTW ... your processing of the image gives a finer result (I was just trying my hand at processing the image in LR and C1).  It would be interesting to try the image in LR with a linear curve.

Regarding C1 processing, my take is that C1 sort of makes you underexpose, thus giving up on SNR (Signal Noise Ratio) and shadow detail to protect highlights. Capture One has pretty intensive noise suppression as default, probably to compensates for the low exposures.

To explain it a bit better, the film curve makes the image look much brighter than the linear curve, so an ETTR image will look overexposed at default settings. With LR ETTR images in contrasty situations look pretty good.

Yes, I think that it's easier to pull back the highlights in LR. However, if you use a linear curve in C1 it's pretty easy to get both the shadows and highlights, even in this image.

All the best,

Robert
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2016, 03:36:27 pm »

Hi Robert,

I like your processing of that image. In a way that image can probably be processed in an infinite number of ways.

That day was in a way very interesting. I was taking pictures with a lady friend. She was shooting with her Panasonic GH4 and I was mostly shooting with my Hasselblad. With the blad I was not getting any good pictures with the canoeists. A couple paddling asked for some pictures, we had no pen and paper but we recorded a video on my Alpha 99 with her e-mail address. My lady friend posted them some great pictures. My pictures collect binary dust on a dusty hard disk…

Best regards
Erik

Yes, it is an interesting (and very nice) image.  In fact, I found that I got the best result with C1 and a linear curve.  Of course I also applied some local adjustment gradients as you did:

I didn't try to pull back too much detail from the rowers and boats (as you did), but the detail is there.  BTW ... your processing of the image gives a finer result (I was just trying my hand at processing the image in LR and C1).  It would be interesting to try the image in LR with a linear curve.

Yes, I think that it's easier to pull back the highlights in LR. However, if you use a linear curve in C1 it's pretty easy to get both the shadows and highlights, even in this image.

All the best,

Robert
Erik Kaffehr

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2016, 04:38:44 pm »

That day was in a way very interesting. I was taking pictures with a lady friend. She was shooting with her Panasonic GH4 and I was mostly shooting with my Hasselblad. With the blad I was not getting any good pictures with the canoeists. A couple paddling asked for some pictures, we had no pen and paper but we recorded a video on my Alpha 99 with her e-mail address. My lady friend posted them some great pictures. My pictures collect binary dust on a dusty hard disk…

Well you did get at least one lovely picture!  Perhaps you should dust off your hard disk and have another look :).  But yes, it is a bit annoying when your Maserati gets overtaken by a Mini ... so to speak.

Cheers,

Robert
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2016, 04:44:38 pm »

Hi,

My lady friend sort of feels that she has a Mini (Cooper), so she got a Mercedes Station Wagon (called A7r) but she is not lusting for my 2006 vintage Toyota RAV 4 (a 2006 vintage Toyota Raw 4, but you can substitute my P45+).

Best regards
Erik

Well you did get at least one lovely picture!  Perhaps you should dust off your hard disk and have another look :).  But yes, it is a bit annoying when your Maserati gets overtaken by a Mini ... so to speak.

Cheers,

Robert
Erik Kaffehr

tho_mas

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2016, 05:09:08 pm »

I think it doesn’t really matter whether you apply a curve in C1 or in later in Photoshop.
That's something I've been wondering about.  Bart suggests that it would be better to apply Topaz Clarity (for instance) before applying the tone curve in the case of shadow recovery. I think you're saying that it should not matter once we keep to 16-bits.
Well, in my opinion Bart provides excellent info and I have yet to see a contribution of Bart I couldn’t agree with.
However, it also depends on the workflow…. I process „Master-Images“ from my RAWs. If you want so a 1:1 copy of my intended RAW-conversion. I also store these 16bit TIFs together with my RAW files in my long time archive. Any further editing is done in Photoshop on layers. When finished I do store the layered TIF and a non-layered copy of the final edit. This single layered 16bit TIF is what I call my „photo“. (Also the single layered copy of the final editing goes into my long time archive.) In such a „Master File“ (both the unedited and the edited version) you don’t want sharpening and/or clarity applied. These files should be as „clean“ and as „detailed“ as possible … well, at least for me.
In my workflow clarity and sharpening first come into play with regard to a specific output. And as far as clarity goes I have never needed it to edit my actual „photos“ … I only use it occasionally when preparing my files for print. But maybe this has also to do with the cameras I use (they all lack an anti-aliasing filter) … but maybe also has to do with my esthetical perception. Finally - at least referring to my serious works - my files are prepared to be printed pretty large (120cm / = ~47’’ on the short side) and I try to avoid any kind of „harshness“ before uprezzing. Some images go through a (very) mild deconvolution sharpening before uprezzing, though.
To cut a long story short, I think it depends on your particular workflow and on how you are used to do things…

How important is it to edit colors as few times as possible?  In theory I would assume that the less the better, but even if everything is done in C1 or LR, presumably each of the adjustments are applied one after the other rather than as one combined adjustment?  In other words, let's say that there is a global saturation adjustment and a local saturation adjustment, presumably the global adjustment would be done first followed by the local adjustment.
In a parametrical workflow it shouldn’t matter…

Just a question: do you think that using the embedded camera profile is a good idea?
yes, I do. I do not recommend it to anyone since those table based input profiles have limitations when used as editing spaces in Photoshop. But we talked about this in another thread some time ago, no? :-)

I would have thought that if you want to keep as large a color space as possible that it would be better to go to a large working space like ProPhoto, rather than stay in the camera profile.
Now, I really don’t want to go into yet another color management debate. But if you use Capture One ProPhoto-RGB is not needed at all. I would recommend to process to ACES, ACEScg or Rec2020 (if you don’t want to embed the camera profile).
When we had said talk about camera profiles in the other thread a user of this forum dropped me a line about the use of the camera profiles. He compared various captures processed with the camera profile embedded and processed with ProPhoto-RGB set on output. He then compared all the respective TIFs in Color Think Pro and analysed the number of unique colors contained in each version of the same images. Independent of the contrast and/or the saturation of the scenes the ProPhoto-RGB output contained always way less unique colors than the images processed with the camera profile embeded. I’ve verified his findings and even compared random images with different source profiles (sRGB, Adobe-RGB etc.) converted to ProPhoto-RGB and converted to ACES, Rec2020 and ECI-RGB in Photoshop (all conversions performed in 16bit - all target profiles used feature Gamma 1.8 ). The ProPhoto versions constantly contained remarkably less unique colors than the other color spaces. Now… there are rounding errors and possibly other factors that affect the results of Color Thinks readout of unique colors. However, it was apparent that - independent of the source profile and the image content - the images converted to ProPhoto showed always the lowest number of unique colors (around 10% less and sometimes even more). Since ProPhoto RGB is a pretty dated color space (back then designed with film based workflows in mind) and since it doesn’t encompass all the colors digital cameras can capture it has no particular merit (other than being pretty large … and being the internal color space in Adobe RAW softwares).
Back to the initial question: you are effectively editing in the camera’s color space in Capture One. Whether you convert to any other color space right on output or later in Photoshop (with the help of color warning and the info palette) doesn’t make a difference (in theory and in practice). Since Photoshop provides much more control I embed the camera profiles on output when processing from Capture One. Mostly I also edit in the camera’s color space.

As to the film curves vs. the linear curve… attached the capture from above loaded in C1 as is (no adjustments as far as exposure, levels or contrast or so goes).
Top left: Standard Film Curve
Bottom left: Linear Curve
Top right: Standard Film Curve & HDR: shadows and highlight recovered both by 100%
Bottom right: Linear Curve & HDR: shadows and highlight recovered both by 100%
As you can see even from these small screenshots you can achieve the same amount of details/differentiation with the Standard Film Curve. It just looks more „natural“.
To finalize the image according to your creative intend you have to edit it differently… but technically you don’t lose anything when using the Standard Film curve at this stage.
But that’s easy to show with this example. There are other scenes that are more complicated to edit with the film curve in conjunction with "ETTR"…

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:41:18 pm by tho_mas »

AlterEgo

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2016, 05:52:40 pm »

except layers break parametricity... because they are applied in the specific order you arranged them and by definition everything parametric shall not depend on what user does.

AlterEgo

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2016, 05:55:13 pm »

Since Photoshop provides much more control I embed the camera profiles on output when processing from Capture One. Mostly I also edit in the camera’s color space.
did Adobe fix the bug when ACR being used as a filter in PS (CC) couldn't work when embedded 'camera color space' was used ?

tho_mas

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2016, 06:01:04 pm »

except layers break parametricity... because they are applied in the specific order you arranged them and by definition everything parametric shall not depend on what user does.
true ... if you are nitpicking about the definition of "parametric" :-)
But with regard to the example Robert asked about it shouldn't make a difference. Well, visually it does make a difference, but "technically" it does not. Besides, I would adjust global and selective saturation on the same layer in the saturation tool and would not apply two layers with saturation... :-)

tho_mas

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2016, 06:02:45 pm »

did Adobe fix the bug when ACR being used as a filter in PS (CC) couldn't work when embedded 'camera color space' was used ?
I have no idea. I have never used ACR for something... especially not on a layer since it roundtrips through ProPhoto-RGB.

AlterEgo

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2016, 06:37:53 pm »

AlterEgo

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2016, 06:39:06 pm »

I have no idea. I have never used ACR for something... especially not on a layer since it roundtrips through ProPhoto-RGB.

I much prefer to clone out skin blemishes in ACR vs C1, even when conversion was with C1

tho_mas

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2016, 06:53:54 pm »

I do  8)
I know :-) ... and that's perfectly fine. Except that too often I need Google to actually get what you are talking about :-)) I don't have the deep technical knowledge about color management you have ...

I much prefer to clone out skin blemishes in ACR vs C1, even when conversion was with C1
now, that's an application I use very rarely. If I have to, I process 2 versions of the same RAW out of C1 (the first providing the intended look the second with skin tones adjusted in the advanced color editor to paint it in the first picture selectively - "uniformity" in the advanced color editor's skin tone tool is gorgeous). Or I do make the respective edits on a layer in C1. But, again, I am not at all an expert in editing and/or repairing skins...

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2016, 04:58:32 am »

No ... not in the latest version of Photoshop.

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2016, 05:33:25 am »

Wll, in my opinion Bart provides excellent info and I have yet to see a contribution of Bart I couldn’t agree with.

Absolutely agree.  In fact I wouldn't even be looking at C1 if it were not that Bart uses it.

In my workflow clarity and sharpening first come into play with regard to a specific output.

Yes, I would agree with that, at least regarding sharpening and also with regard to Clarity if you are just using it for output sharpening. However Clarity (and other plug-ins that affect contrast) may be needed to process your original (or at least my original) photo.

As alter-ego pointed out, just because the workflow is parametric doesn't mean that the adjustments are applied in one go.  Certainly local adjustments would be applied sequentially.  But there's no reason to assume that, for example, Exposure, HDR adjustments, Levels and Curves are not also applied sequentially (it would be very difficult to apply them as a single adjustment). 

The main advantage of a parametric workflow to my mind is that it is non-destructive and compact.  But apart from the compactness, the same can be done with layers and smart objects/smart filters in Photoshop (and these are clearly applied sequentially).

yes, I do. I do not recommend it to anyone since those table based input profiles have limitations when used as editing spaces in Photoshop. But we talked about this in another thread some time ago, no? :-)
Now, I really don’t want to go into yet another color management debate. But if you use Capture One ProPhoto-RGB is not needed at all. I would recommend to process to ACES, ACEScg or Rec2020 (if you don’t want to embed the camera profile).
When we had said talk about camera profiles in the other thread a user of this forum dropped me a line about the use of the camera profiles. He compared various captures processed with the camera profile embedded and processed with ProPhoto-RGB set on output. He then compared all the respective TIFs in Color Think Pro and analysed the number of unique colors contained in each version of the same images. Independent of the contrast and/or the saturation of the scenes the ProPhoto-RGB output contained always way less unique colors than the images processed with the camera profile embeded. I’ve verified his findings and even compared random images with different source profiles (sRGB, Adobe-RGB etc.) converted to ProPhoto-RGB and converted to ACES, Rec2020 and ECI-RGB in Photoshop (all conversions performed in 16bit - all target profiles used feature Gamma 1.8 ). The ProPhoto versions constantly contained remarkably less unique colors than the other color spaces. Now… there are rounding errors and possibly other factors that affect the results of Color Thinks readout of unique colors. However, it was apparent that - independent of the source profile and the image content - the images converted to ProPhoto showed always the lowest number of unique colors (around 10% less and sometimes even more). Since ProPhoto RGB is a pretty dated color space (back then designed with film based workflows in mind) and since it doesn’t encompass all the colors digital cameras can capture it has no particular merit (other than being pretty large … and being the internal color space in Adobe RAW softwares).
Back to the initial question: you are effectively editing in the camera’s color space in Capture One. Whether you convert to any other color space right on output or later in Photoshop (with the help of color warning and the info palette) doesn’t make a difference (in theory and in practice). Since Photoshop provides much more control I embed the camera profiles on output when processing from Capture One. Mostly I also edit in the camera’s color space.

I certainly didn't intend starting another ProPhoto versus the World debate :).  No, we can happily leave that.  I was only questioning the use of the camera profile, and your answer is much appreciated and very complete: thank you.

Alter-ego's point regarding using the Photoshop ACR filter is currently valid though ... I certainly often use it as it is an incredibly powerful filter (all of the LR/ACR adjustments are available, so things like color adjustments, moire removal etc., are available without having to go back to your raw file (although if you use LR and smart objects then you can just jump back to your raw file to make these changes if you wish).

As to the film curves vs. the linear curve… attached the capture from above loaded in C1 as is (no adjustments as far as exposure, levels or contrast or so goes).
Top left: Standard Film Curve
Bottom left: Linear Curve
Top right: Standard Film Curve & HDR: shadows and highlight recovered both by 100%
Bottom right: Linear Curve & HDR: shadows and highlight recovered both by 100%
As you can see even from these small screenshots you can achieve the same amount of details/differentiation with the Standard Film Curve. It just looks more „natural“.
To finalize the image according to your creative intend you have to edit it differently… but technically you don’t lose anything when using the Standard Film curve at this stage.
But that’s easy to show with this example. There are other scenes that are more complicated to edit with the film curve in conjunction with "ETTR"…

Is this image not effectively ETTR?  Certainly the highlights around the sun are well blown out.

I must say that I'm not sure I agree.  I think you can achieve exactly the same look as a film curve starting from a linear curve, but not necessarily the other way around.  It does mean having to use the Curves adjustment with most images ... but then you have all of the flexibility of applying just the curve that you want.

And there is also Bart's point that detail can be lost in the shadows and highlights, even at 16 bits, with the Film curves.  I have seen this on my image of Westport that I posted above: I was able to get quite a lot more detail in the shadows with the linear curve.

Cheers,

Robert

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2016, 07:06:12 am »

It does not, at least in C1. You can reorder the layers the way you want and the result will be the same.

The local adjustments are applied to the background image always, not to the effect of the stacked layers. For instance if you blow out the previous layer beyond saturation, by increasing the exposure, you can bring it back in the next layer by reducing the exposure.

Another example, if you clone, it is based on the background layer, not in the effect of the adjustment layers.

In relation to LR, it is absolutely irrelevant in which order you applied the adjustments and/or how may history steps you have in an image. The end result is based on the actual settings of the sliders.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2016, 09:22:03 am »

It does not, at least in C1. You can reorder the layers the way you want and the result will be the same.

That's indeed how I've understood it to work (the rearragement of layers ability is just for convenience in logical grouping). For example a +1 stop Exposure layer correction (at a given mask opacity) is fully reversed by a -1 stop Exposure correction in another layer (with the same mask opacity). Whether there are differences due to rounding errors or non-linear behavior is another matter, but even e.g. Saturation adjustments cancel each other out (despite the fact that Saturation behaves more like Vibrance if positive, and more like traditional (de)Saturation if negative). So the adjustment amounts are summed and then applied on the Background. It also allows to amplify the maximum effect of an adjustment by adding another layer with the same adjustment type (a maximum of 100 becomes a maximum of 200), should one need that.

The important point is that it works in a different way compared to Photoshop and similar layer implementations, which are designed more like Print layers, ink stacked upon ink, correction stacked upon previous corrections.

The local adjustments are applied to the background image always, not to the effect of the stacked layers. For instance if you blow out the previous layer beyond saturation, by increasing the exposure, you can bring it back in the next layer by reducing the exposure.

Yes, which makes it easier to address things like highlight clipping by locally painting in a negative Exposure, or a HDR highlight adjustment. It also prevents unnecessary amplification of noise and aggregation of rounding errors. They are adjustment layers, not image compositing layers.

Another example, if you clone, it is based on the background layer, not in the effect of the adjustment layers.

Yes, an important distinction, which helps creativity and hides technical considerations.

The only downside I can think of is that it would be harder to create future functionality that does depend on mutiple layers, like e.g. averaging (for noise reduction) of multiple image layers, or using the Median to reduce moving objects in a stationary scene, or using layer blending modes where the order of application does matter.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

AlterEgo

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2016, 12:05:36 pm »

It does not, at least in C1.
I see - I do not use layers in C1 at all and hence certainly misunderstood that part

tho_mas

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2016, 03:25:07 pm »

I must say that I'm not sure I agree.  I think you can achieve exactly the same look as a film curve starting from a linear curve, but not necessarily the other way around.  It does mean having to use the Curves adjustment with most images ... but then you have all of the flexibility of applying just the curve that you want.

And there is also Bart's point that detail can be lost in the shadows and highlights, even at 16 bits, with the Film curves.  I have seen this on my image of Westport that I posted above: I was able to get quite a lot more detail in the shadows with the linear curve.
It is possible to start with the linear curve and replicate the behaviour of the Input Film Curve in the curves tool. Vice versa it also possible to start with a Film Curve and replicate the behaviour of the Input Linear Curve in the curves tool.
Inverted curves cancel each other out when working in 16bit. Attached an image with a curve followed by the same curve inverted (prepared in Photoshop) showing that you can recover the full range of details even when you are working on a really narrow band of tonal values. Now, the Film Curve in C1 is far less steep than the curves applied in my example. According to this I don't think that you are effectively losing details ... but maybe it is more intuitive for you to start editing with the linear curve in your Westport image. As said above I also use the linear curve ... but mostly when I want to work out very fine nuanced tonal differentiation in bright image areas. The cool thing is we have the choice ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up