Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raw convertion speed? Workflow?  (Read 4650 times)

tived

• http://
Raw convertion speed? Workflow?
« on: May 22, 2006, 12:45:28 pm »

Hello Gentlemen and Ladies,

I am going through my old raw files and (like 600Gb of them) and I am finding it takes a very long time to process files. (i kid you not!)

does anyone know of a site that has tested different Raw converters and timed the conversion in therms of speed and file size, shooting with a 1Ds raw -> 16bit tiff

58 raw files (3.56Gb of 16bit tiff) took me 33min with CaptureOne 3.7.3 on my x64 windows machine Dual Opteron 250 8Gb ram ??

I then did the same thing with Camera RAW 3.6 and the same took me 7:32 min ? that is one huge difference (4x faster!). abeit, it took me a lot longer to go through the images and make adjustments in Camera Raw then it took in C1.

quality is another issue, which does the better job. IMHO C1, but camera raw, would give me alot of time to work on the images i like at 4x the speed!!

Camera Raw with its auto feature gets you into the ball park, where as with C1 there really isn't a auto feature as such, that runs over the lot whole folder.

I am a long time C1 user and attended a local Adobe workflow seminar, which made a lot of sense using Bridge and the Camera Raw to work your images in, for getting out proofs, renaming and sorting things, especially the rating and label thing was quite nice

what do people thing?

Thanks

Henrik
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 12:46:13 pm by tived »

tived

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 12:55:03 pm »

replying to my own post

16bit 1Ds tiff files

C1                26.64 sec per image
Camera Raw   7.79 sec per image

58 images, total size 3.56 Gigabytes

8bit 1ds Tiff files
C1  -----didn't do----
Camera RAW 5.41 sec

this is reading and writing to the same disk! maybe it would improve writing to a seperate disk! will try ;-) I am mad!

edit

it made very little difference writing to another disk (disks are 10k and 15k scsi disks) 5:17 sec per image 8bit or I saved 14sec ;-))

Henrik

PS: It should be noted that with C1, you are able to work on your next set of images while converting, whereas with Camera Raw, you are doomed to drink lots of coffee and chocolate cake! nothing is so bad it isn't good for something else! but my waiste line! ;-)  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 01:06:36 pm by tived »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 01:05:02 pm »

I thought Bibble was supposed to be very fast.  I haven't tried it in a version or two.

RSP is faster than C1.  C1 3.7.4 is faster than C1 3.7.3.

The speed is usually in the workflow and not in the actual conversions.  So get out your stop watch from the time you start working on a set of files until you're ready to hand them off to photoshop (or your printer or whatever).

tived

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 01:08:55 pm »

I thought Bibble was supposed to be very fast.  I haven't tried it in a version or two.

RSP is faster than C1.  C1 3.7.4 is faster than C1 3.7.3.

The speed is usually in the workflow and not in the actual conversions.  So get out your stop watch from the time you start working on a set of files until you're ready to hand them off to photoshop (or your printer or whatever).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66278\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is so very true, for some reason C1 3.7.4 wont work on my machine, though it did before i reinstalled the system?

How do you find Bibble? is it worth a test drive?

Henrik

PS: Its one in the morning, I'll have a crack at it again tomorrow :-)

bruce fraser

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 07:18:19 pm »

PS: It should be noted that with C1, you are able to work on your next set of images while converting, whereas with Camera Raw, you are doomed to drink lots of coffee and chocolate cake! nothing is so bad it isn't good for something else! but my waiste line! ;-) 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66277\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, that's not the case. You have a choice as to whether any given ACR session is hosted by Bridge or by Photoshop. You can work in one while the other is tied up doing conversions. If you're prepared to suffer some sluggishness, you can even start a new ACR session from either app while ACR is still doing conversions. You'll see a status message reporting the number of images saved.

tived

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 10:53:21 pm »

Actually, that's not the case. You have a choice as to whether any given ACR session is hosted by Bridge or by Photoshop. You can work in one while the other is tied up doing conversions. If you're prepared to suffer some sluggishness, you can even start a new ACR session from either app while ACR is still doing conversions. You'll see a status message reporting the number of images saved.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66302\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Bruce,

I much appreciate your reply. Having just participated in this Raw to Proof seminar, it made a lot of sense to shift the workflow to Bridge and Camera Raw. Inparticular when it comes to image management, and entering meta data into once files, as I see it at the moment, C1 lacks the customisation (at least I haven't found it ;-)

Bruce, given I have a Dual processor system and 8gb of ram, I should be able to do what you are suggesting. without having attempting this! How would I be able to do this? read the manual, and if that fails...go read your Camera Raw book ;-)

thanks very much Bruce for taking the time to reply,  it is much appreciated

Kindest regards

Henrik Tived

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 12:36:15 am »

I almost exclusively use C1 and could care less about the speed because it processes in the background while I'm fiddling with the next image. If you're waiting til you've adjusted a whole batch before processing you're not taking advantage of this capability.

Let me qualify that by saying that I prefer to work back and forth thru a batch while adjusting, at least for preliminary edits, because there's a synergy involved and a certain amount of applying settings from one image to selected others. But even so, I then only process those which I'm going to immediately print which usually is just a handful. If I need a bunch at once, eg for a web gallery, I use quickproof, and this is lightning fast, like maybe 4 seconds or less per image. I can have 100 images processed, bulk uploaded and turned into a web gallery in less than 10 minutes.

- DL
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 12:39:27 am by dlashier »

bruce fraser

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 01:04:29 pm »

Thanks Bruce,

I much appreciate your reply. Having just participated in this Raw to Proof seminar, it made a lot of sense to shift the workflow to Bridge and Camera Raw. Inparticular when it comes to image management, and entering meta data into once files, as I see it at the moment, C1 lacks the customisation (at least I haven't found it ;-)

Bruce, given I have a Dual processor system and 8gb of ram, I should be able to do what you are suggesting. without having attempting this! How would I be able to do this? read the manual, and if that fails...go read your Camera Raw book ;-)

thanks very much Bruce for taking the time to reply,  it is much appreciated

Kindest regards

Henrik Tived
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Command-O (Mac) or Ctrl-O (Win) opens selected images from Bridge in ACR hosted by Photoshop. Command-R (Mac) or Ctrl-R (Win) opens them in ACR hosted by Bridge.

You can open a very large number of images simultaneously in ACR (I've opened 2500 with no ill effects, though it took a while), but since I usually keep the camera-defined folder structure intact, I tend to open 100 at a time.

Once I've gone through the images and made edits, I save them as DNGs, but the same process works for saving Tiff, JPG, or PSD. I select all the images in the ACR filmstrip, so the save button now reads Save 100 Images. I click it, then go on to the next batch. On a laptop, I bounce between ACR hosted by Bridge and ACR hosted by Photoshop, but on a fast machine I usually just stick with ACR hosted by Bridge because Photoshop is usually busy doing something else.

Camera Raw has a significant learning curve, but there's a lot of power there once you learn to tap into it.

tived

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 11:28:54 am »

Thanks Bruce for the reply, much appreciated, I think I better go down and read a good book about Camera Raw! ;-)
will be back later with some more questions, thanks

Henrik
Pages: [1]   Go Up