Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: May have just saved myself some $2000 (Can) ... Perhaps ??  (Read 781 times)

Krug

May have just saved myself some $2000 (Can) ... Perhaps ??
« on: April 14, 2016, 10:54:55 am »

I have been tempted by all the good things that I read about the Batis 25 ... so I took my ZM25 out with the a7rii for a possibly farewell time ... and now I am not so sure.

I really like the slow change of our Northern seasons with the Spring cautiously edging the Winter away ... makes for interesting, slightly equivocal, views despite the rather flat light.

Comments invited of course.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: May have just saved myself some $2000 (Can) ... Perhaps ??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 01:09:26 pm »

I certainly don't see any lens flaws being shown here. I particularly like the first two shots with the water.
The grass mounds add some interest as does the water and reflections. Nice stark images that remind me of the arrival of spring around here as well.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 05:23:56 pm by MattBurt »
-MattB

Krug

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 05:18:35 pm »

Thank you Matt.
I was really seeking responses on two things:
A) any thoughts on the lens quality as shown in the pics .... and I agree with you that I can see nothing but good here technically from a lens perspective ....but do others see the same or am I missing something ??
B) any thoughts on the images themselves .... I quite liked the images - as you say you do  but again I am looking for what I may be missing that the forum' eyes may see from an objective point of view.

So any further comments would be much appreciated.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 05:26:15 pm »

I might see a touch of CA in the high contrast area on the left where the twigs are against the sky. Hard to really tell at this resolution but not much to worry about since it's typically easy to fix. It's also possible I'm just seeing some image compression artifacts so you should look at 100% in that area and see if you see fringing. Not sure if another lens would do any better in that respect.
-MattB

Krug

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 08:21:56 am »

Thanks again Matt.

Yes I can see just a little - like you I doubt if another lens would do much better as I pushed the processing hard to get some "life" out of a very flat lighting.

Useful comments , thanks.

John.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:26:06 am by Krug »
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 02:12:40 pm »

Save your money. The photos are fine.

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 02:28:44 pm »

The photos look good to me. Based on other examples I've seen from this lens used with various mirrorless cameras, it seems to be relatively free of the fringing & astigmatism common to wider RF lenses when mated with thick-ish sensor stacks.

-Dave-

Krug

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 09:52:39 am »

Thanks Matt, Bob and Dave you confirm my feelings exactly. I have found this a stunning lens on the Leicas that I recently sold ... getting to a stage in life where autofocus is a real help in many situations ... and I could really see no problems with this lens on the Sony. Of course mf is much easier with a wide lens but I wondered if I was missing more than the very slight optical issues.
I have always found that the views of others is nearly always useful to confirm one's opinions, provide evidence that one has missed so as to change those opinions .... and in all other cases can be cheerfully ignored !  Yours was not in the latter category - thanks.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up