Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not More Elephants  (Read 7946 times)

jonkhill

Not More Elephants
« on: May 21, 2006, 10:10:58 pm »

I like the elephant shots and I like the "Embrace the mess." concept.  In wildlife photography it's all you really can ever do because of the unpredictable nature of the beasts.  

I've been converting more and more of my own shts to B&W.  In the age of color, sometimes it catches peoples eye quite effectively.  My own take and thoughts on it are here:  

SafariShots.com

[attachment=591:attachment]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 10:13:45 pm by jonkhill »

JohnReid

Not More Elephants
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 02:45:19 am »

I just read the "Not More Elephants" article and I would have to say, its my favourate article on your site.

To be honest though, its because the park you went to is about an hours drive from my house and it was great to see pictures from my neighborhood.

I only wish that you would have had a workshop in South Africa. Oh well, I'm sure the day will come.

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
Not More Elephants
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 03:57:47 am »

I only wish that you would have had a workshop in South Africa.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66247\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, and maybe hold it at "Shamwari" !! . . . hell but those guys sure know how to rob tourists of their $$$'s . . . R5000+pppn . . . at that rate I'd expect a tame elephant to turn back my bedsheet and run my bath every evening!

Can't ever get tired of elephants though . . .
Regards, HILTON

michael

Not More Elephants
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 08:33:01 am »

That's the so-called "rack rate". It's not that difficult to stay there for quite a bit less if booked though a decent travel company.

Michael

JohnReid

Not More Elephants
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 02:32:53 am »

Shamwari is out of the range of the majority of South Africans, but we do have Addo Elephant park nearby for R90(About $12) per campsite per night. The only problem then is you have to deal with the masses(not to bad in winter, and its the best time for animals). I also perfer the flexiblity of been able to drive myself.

But anyway Michael, how about a landscape workshop at the Drakensburg, Royal Natal Park or the Transkei Wildcoast?

HiltonP

Not More Elephants
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 05:06:48 am »

Even the most creative travel agent is not going to bring "Shamwari's" prices to acceptable levels. As a middle-income kind of earner here in SA I have a problem with these Hollywood/Disney style of game farms offering an "Out of Africa" experience. They are so absolutely out-of-touch with the citizens of SA it's not funny. I can stay in Paris for R800pppn, in London for R500pppn, in the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone for R500pppn . . . yet a game farm around the corner from my home asks R5000pppn. We have a lot to offer travellers and photographers here in SA, but overcharging in the tourism industry is resulting in us being seen as a once-off destination, i.e. you come, you see, you wince at the price, and you don't come back.

But on a more positive note . . . yes, Addo Elephant Park is an excellent destination. I've visited it on a number of occasions and have not experienced crowding, but we stay off the main routes, park our car, switch off the engine, and wait. We've had elephants browsing so close to us (with their babies) that we could not see out the rear window! . . . and then of course there's also the buffalo, rhino, kudu, and lion, etc.

Michael . . . where did you stay whilst in Cape Town?
Regards, HILTON

JohnReid

Not More Elephants
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 10:54:28 am »

Hilton P, you sound like a P.E. local. I'm from East London and was at Addo two weekend ago. Almost got a severe dent in my car after trying to take a photo of an elephant bull and drive out of his way at the same time - not recommended.

If you really feel like a decent park in the Eastern Cape, try Dwesa nature reserve in the Transkei, not many spots in SA where you can capture wildlife with the sea as the backdrop.

benInMA

Not More Elephants
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 11:25:15 am »

Michael you might be becoming a bit too jaded from too much traveling.

YES we need more pictures of Elephants.  For those of us who have not yet had the opportunity to take this trip, our own pictures of animals like these will still have special meaning as they document OUR trip, and the fact that we did indeed get to see these special animals.

Someday (hopefully not) they may be gone... for that reason I say it is impossible to take too many pictures of them as long as you don't bug them!

Nice pictures, the B&W works well.

"Elephant Family. South Africa – April, 2006" the 2nd one, is my favorite, nice composition on that one.

Rokcet Scientist

Not More Elephants
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 07:37:29 am »

[...] YES we need more pictures of Elephants.  [...][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You do?
OK, then:

Mama Temba
Amboseli Game Reserve – Kajiado district, Rift Valley Province, Kenya.

HiltonP

Not More Elephants
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 10:57:38 am »

Knysna Elephant Park

Addo Elephant Park
Regards, HILTON

JohnReid

Not More Elephants
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 03:19:10 am »

[attachment=637:attachment]Nice shots guys - here's my contribution to the world's ever increasing supply of Elephant photos. This was shot at Addo Elephant Park, Eastern Cape, South Africa

Ray

Not More Elephants
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 11:18:31 am »

Elephants are fun. Did you know they can play bowls?  

For the technically minded, the following shots are a diptych.

[attachment=638:attachment]

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Not More Elephants
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 07:48:39 pm »

My 2 cents.  FWIW 300 2.8 IS with 1.4 and 2x stacked.

Ray

Not More Elephants
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 11:28:24 pm »

Tim,
Best elephant's eyelashes I've seen. Would that be a female elephant?  

Peterplight

Not More Elephants
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 08:44:56 am »

Intensity thru the thorns. Made me respond. Nice to see a shot like this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up