Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for storing lens hoods in a backpack  (Read 7368 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Suggestions for storing lens hoods in a backpack
« on: April 12, 2016, 11:40:57 pm »

This may seem like a strange question, but someone may have a brilliant solution. Storing three or four lens hoods in my pack takes too much space.

I like to protect the black felt lining of the hoods. So I wrap them in thin bubble wrap, stacking one inside the next. All in all, they take a 5"x5" section of my pack.

Has anyone found a better solution?
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

stamper

Re: Suggestions for storing lens hoods in a backpack
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 03:51:55 am »

Does the strap on the backpack detach from the backpack? If so detach one end and put the strap through the hoods and re attach to the backpack.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 04:04:47 am »

I just store the hoods reversed on the lenses.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 10:10:42 am »

Sometimes if i am packing tighter than usual, I will unlock the hood from the lens, reverse it, and leave it on the lens (or lens bottom...whatever is facing up).  This allows it to adjust in the bag slightly and move with the shape of the compartment its in.  If I can...I usually want them on and in place on my lens ready to go.  Lens hoods, especially the large awkward size ones, are definitely annoying in packing sometimes!
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

bellimages

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 10:45:03 am »

Thanks for your suggestions so far!

I realize that I can store them backward on the lens. Being that I prefer to shoot on overcast/cloudy days, and rarely do a golden hour photo, I would rather not have them on my lens. Many times I simply shield the lens from light with my hand, etc. But on rare occasion I do need one.

So with that said, I'm still looking for suggestions for storing them in my pack. I doubt that there is a magic solution ... but one never knows.

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 11:14:23 am »

If your pack has loops, daisy chain, Molle strapping, etc on outside, you can nest the lens hoods as you describe and just put them in a stuff sack which you then hang off a loop.

In the old days when lenses tended to have similar (smaller) filter sizes, you could get rubber fold-away lens hoods with a filter-type screw thread. These compacted to 1/2 inch tall, and came in two lengths ("standard" for 40-60 mm FF, "tele" for 85-135m FF angle of view. See "General" brand at B and H. The problem is, these are not ideal for wide angle lenses because they don't come in tulip design with cut-outs. Nowadays, the tulip type of hood could be manufactured in flexible form (silicone), but I don't see anyone doing it.

Someone or other sells a flag that attaches via elastic band to the lens barrel, should you want to have both hands free to use on the camera. If you have the Rogue flash accessory stuff on hand, try their little flag/bounce and see if that could work.

bellimages

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 09:43:31 pm »

Thanks Nancy. Very good ideas.

One concern I've always had is protecting the black "felt" lining of lens hoods. I'm assuming that it is necessary to avoid light reflecting into the lens. Your idea of black silicone hoods is awesome! No more need to treat them gingerly. With that said, I'm not sure that the current lens hoods would hold up to attaching them via loops to the outside of my pack. Ideas on that?

nairb

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 01:41:22 pm »

If you're putting the lenses into their compartments standing upright as opposed to laying down, what I do is place the lens hood in the bottom, facing upward, then a piece of cloth to cover/protect it, then the lens goes in, camera mount side down.

With my Nikon gear in an F-Stop Satori pack with XL ICU, I am able to put the 14-24mm lens in standing up. Because that lens tapers so much from front to lens mount, the lens hood for the 24-70 f2.8 would fit perfectly underneath it. I could stand up the 24-70mm (version 1) in that deep pack, but it fit better laying down. My 70-200 is laid down with the lens hood on it and reversed. My 24mm pc-e, 20mm f1.8, and 60mm f2.8 macro are all sitting upright, lens mount facing down with their lens hoods under them.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 12:35:34 pm »

Being that I prefer to shoot on overcast/cloudy days, and rarely do a golden hour photo, I would rather not have them on my lens. Many times I simply shield the lens from light with my hand, etc. But on rare occasion I do need one.

slightly different perspective from me, I always use the lens shade.  open sky and other types of light can create subtle flare that might affect contrast.  On such days you really can't "shade" the lens.  Yes it's pretty subtle and maybe doesn't make much difference, but using the lens shade I don't think ever has a negative.  Also the lens shade can protect the front element from accidentally bumping.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:06:02 pm by Wayne Fox »

dwswager

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 03:15:47 pm »

slightly different perspective from me, I always use the lens shade.  open sky and other types of light can create subtle flare that might affect contrast.  On such days you really can't "shade" the lens.  Yes it's pretty subtle and maybe doesn't make much difference, but having the lens shade I don't think ever has a negative.  Also the lens shade can protect the front element from accidentally bumping.

+1

Nothing baffles me more than watching people without shades, outside, in the sun, except for people that don't use shades and then put a $30 "Protection" filter on the lens.

I reconfigure my bag for every outing so sometimes shades are on, sometimes off.  Sometimes reversed.  Yes, carrying the shades can be a hassle and I have not found the perfect way to carry them either.

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 07:01:13 pm »

In emergencies, tripod users always have the hand / hat / other (eg, black side of reflector, flash flag, etc) option.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 03:59:55 am »

Has anyone found a better solution?

Be selective how many lenshoods you carry. I stopped carrying my HC 210mm lenshood, because my HC 100mm works on both. Etc, etc, ....

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 02:47:54 am »

I just store the hoods reversed on the lenses.
+1
Also if the lens is on the camera then the lens hood is on, inside or outside. Better to smash the lens hood into a wall than the lens glass.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

armand

• Photos
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 11:34:42 am »

It's funny how many times I see people shooting with hoods reversed on the lenses, I could never get it. You either put it on properly or you don't put it at all, many times it makes more difficult to have it reversed on the lens.

bellimages

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 09:50:39 pm »

slightly different perspective from me, I always use the lens shade.  open sky and other types of light can create subtle flare that might affect contrast.  On such days you really can't "shade" the lens.  Yes it's pretty subtle and maybe doesn't make much difference, but using the lens shade I don't think ever has a negative.  Also the lens shade can protect the front element from accidentally bumping.

GOOD point Wayne. I haven't seen you post in awhile. Hope all is well.

bellimages

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 09:53:36 pm »

I'm surprised that there has been no mention of protecting the "felt liner" in lens hoods. It would seem to me that the black felt is what absorbs stray light (as much as the hood itself).
Pages: [1]   Go Up