Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: centering a near-borderless Epson 2200 print  (Read 5518 times)

madmanchan

• Web
centering a near-borderless Epson 2200 print
« on: May 21, 2006, 06:25:51 pm »

I have an image sized at 5.5 inches wide by 3.5 inches high, 360 dpi.  I want to print it on 6x4 paper using my Epson 2200, thereby leaving a uniform 0.25 inch border all around.  When I use ImagePrint, there is no problem ... I turn on "borderless" mode, center the image, and print -- comes out perfectly.

But there are some cases where I need to use the Epson driver and therefore I print directly from Photoshop through the Epson driver.  Can somebody please tell me how to center the image in the print when using the Epson driver?  I tried turning on/off the borderless options in the Epson print window, but it never comes out right ...

Thanks,
Eric
Eric Chan

jecxz

• http://www.jecxz.com
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 08:10:36 pm »

I've had the same problem. I checked the Minimize Margins and it centered. Good luck.

Chris_T

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 07:06:46 am »

I've had the same problem. I checked the Minimize Margins and it centered. Good luck.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here's how I center a print image in PS on my PC:

In PS, select paper size and orientation with Page Setup.
In PS Print, check the Center box.
In Epson 2200 driver, check the Maximize and Center boxes.
When the preview shows up, make sure the image is centered. I find this to be the only good use of preview

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 07:46:30 am »

Thanks guys -- I'll give the "minimize margins" option a try and let you know how that works.

Eric
Eric Chan

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 09:35:58 am »

Thanks guys -- I'll give the "minimize margins" option a try and let you know how that works.

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66257\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you on a Mac or on a PC? If I remember correctly, the behavior for centering prints on the Mac Epson driver is a bit tricky.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 11:26:43 am »

Are you on a Mac or on a PC? If I remember correctly, the behavior for centering prints on the Mac Epson driver is a bit tricky.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66262\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Andy,

I'm on a PC running Windows XP.  I know you print a fair bit, so any tips you might have would be appreciated ...  

Eric
Eric Chan

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 01:38:09 pm »

Eric, is your driver up-to-date? Epson did issue a driver version less than a year ago which was incapable of centering prints properly. I raised a huge fuss about this and it was fixed within a few weeks thereafter. Hence please check your driver version and up-date if necessary.

With that over with, it should be straightforward: (1) no borderless printing with sheet paper, and (2) in the Epson driver simply check "centered" on the Paper tab and it should be fine. I print only with the Epson driver and have no problem with it (on a 4800, but should be the same for other models too). I leave the printable area at "Standard" because according to Epson if you chose "Maximum" there could be some slight deterioration of image quality in the edge areas.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 07:13:18 pm »

Eric, is your driver up-to-date? Epson did issue a driver version less than a year ago which was incapable of centering prints properly. I raised a huge fuss about this and it was fixed within a few weeks thereafter. Hence please check your driver version and up-date if necessary.

With that over with, it should be straightforward: (1) no borderless printing with sheet paper, and (2) in the Epson driver simply check "centered" on the Paper tab and it should be fine. I print only with the Epson driver and have no problem with it (on a 4800, but should be the same for other models too). I leave the printable area at "Standard" because according to Epson if you chose "Maximum" there could be some slight deterioration of image quality in the edge areas.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66282\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Mark, thanks for the info.  I'll check the driver version, but I think I have the latest one.  I should clarify the problem I'm having:  the printed image is actually centered, but some of the borders of the image get cut off.  Note that I'm only leaving a 1/4" margin here all around, so it's not much.  It's conceivable I'm going past the standard printable area.  That's why I'm thinking the "minimize margins" suggestion above might do the trick.  I'll try it when I get home and see if there is any edge deterioration.

Eric
Eric Chan

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 07:42:37 pm »

Eric,

Check the specs near the back of your User Manual, where they talk about "Printable Area". I believe you will find they tell you that for cut sheets the default cut sheet margins are 0.12 inches for top, right and left, and 0.56 inches for the bottom - which exceeds your quarter-inch target of course (this applies to a portrait-oriented piece of paper). "Maximum" reduces the bottom margin, but they do not say by how much. This information applies to the 4800, hence my suggestion to check exactly for the 2200, but I believe it is the same.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up