Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf8400 borderless printing paper waste  (Read 3765 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
ipf8400 borderless printing paper waste
« on: April 11, 2016, 01:14:58 pm »

hey folks, seems like this was gone over long ago but I can't find it.

I've got an ipf8400 and the need to painlessly print a fair number of 8x10's. painlessly to me is not having to 1)waste a bunch of paper or 2) gang together and then cut apart a bunch of master sheets.

part of the deal is that I want to edit a print, hit print and move on. not get them all edited and then print.

anyway, when I do a borderless 8x10 on a 10" roll I get a 3/5" strip cut off between each print. this means I waste literally 1/3 to 1/4 of my roll which is beyond stupid. is there any option where I can force the printer to cut off 1/2" or some less stupidly wasteful amount?

John Hollenberg

Re: ipf8400 borderless printing paper waste
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 04:23:12 pm »

What software are you printing from?  Are you using the driver or the 16 bit plugin?  What page size is set in the driver or plugin?

mstevensphoto

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 10:44:02 pm »

photoshop cs6 using the plugin, 10" roll size is selected, borderless printing.

Pete Berry

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 01:56:09 pm »

photoshop cs6 using the plugin, 10" roll size is selected, borderless printing.

On the iPF5000-5100 there is a tab something like "Roll feed options" in the plugin that brings up a choice to minimize paper wasteage among other choices. Selected, this leaves only a 3mm border at the cut end. This is a sticky setting, so be sure to cancel it for bordered prints - I've been caught more than once on this!

The other very nice use for this setting is that it does away with the need for custom paper sizing for borderless panos or, very handy, for small test strips from the roll (assuming the test crop is sized to the width you want). A 3mm left and right border will be left on pano or small test stip, keyed to image sizing rather than media sizing.

Pete

mstevensphoto

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 03:26:22 pm »

I have minimize paper waste turned on - pretty much always.

Pete Berry

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 06:24:52 pm »

I have minimize paper waste turned on - pretty much always.

Maybe it just works with a media size larger than your print  sizeing. I forgot to mention that for a pano, I use a custom media size larger than any I expect to print - eg 17x72". If the pano is sized to say, 17x48", it cuts just 3mm past the end with the "min. paper waste" setting. If your're using a media size of 10x8, try one with a custom size larger, eg 10x10.

Pete

mstevensphoto

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 09:46:26 pm »

Maybe it just works with a media size larger than your print  sizeing. I forgot to mention that for a pano, I use a custom media size larger than any I expect to print - eg 17x72". If the pano is sized to say, 17x48", it cuts just 3mm past the end with the "min. paper waste" setting. If your're using a media size of 10x8, try one with a custom size larger, eg 10x10.

Pete

you don't set media size with borderless printing, you set roll size and the printer/driver does the rest.

Pete Berry

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 01:37:02 pm »

you don't set media size with borderless printing, you set roll size and the printer/driver does the rest.

Sorry about my muddying the waters here. The "save paper" feature works only with bordered prints, which is how I print my panos now., using minimal borders trimmed after dry mounting. Regardless of media length selected, it cuts with 3mm right and left margins, and no paper wastage. You do have to de-select the paper-saving option if you want larger margins, as it's a sticky setting.

Pete

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 06:23:57 pm »

This is one issue with borderless printing that I've mentioned to our Canon rep, and he's aware of the issue and has been talking to the technical department making the settings for the printer.

It also depends on which setting you use (based on the media; coated, photo, canvas, etc), that certain products will be cut more between prints than others.  Hopefully this will be better set up with the new imagePROGRAF Pro series.

I've seen the same thing on our end using the printer between coated and photo products.  Coated isn't as much, but photo and adhesive will be about 6-8" wasted media between prints.

If you're able to figure out a setting to shrink the amount, good job!  Many people may be frustrated with the issue over the past 4 years, but Canon is surely aware of it.

mstevensphoto

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 04:58:50 pm »

If you're able to figure out a setting to shrink the amount, good job!  Many people may be frustrated with the issue over the past 4 years, but Canon is surely aware of it.

canon surely IS aware of it. I'm told that the amount also varies with relative humidity - how much the printer thinks it needs to eject to not get stuck. Assuming one wanted to print 8x10's on a 10" roll you waste literally 1/4 of your roll, sometimes as much as 1/3 - HORRID economy. Canon largely doesn't care. I get that you have to overprint to get a borderless print, this is evident by the small bit trimmed on my 4" waste strip. I see NO reason the printer couldn't trim 1/2" or even 1" on either side of the print instead of 4"+

mstevensphoto

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 05:00:20 pm »

the further crap deal of this is that if one thinks "hey, I'll trim some and just use a bigger roll"....nope, trying to gang 3 8x10s across a 24" roll yields two 7.8ish prints and one 8.2ish print. there is no good way to print 8x10s that doesn't involve a crapload of waste and/or work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up