Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ridiculous Feedback.  (Read 10279 times)

Rob C

Re: Ridiculous Feedback.
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 05:17:45 am »

The silliest comments are I get are "What are you doing?" and "Can I help you?".
Typically from security persons, but occasionally from members of the public.

"Can I help you?"

That's what extension flash heads are for: you can ask one of the folks 'trying to help' to hold it up above his dome for you... Of course, whilst it may be inconvenient for some photographers with their terribly important personal projects, on balance, I'd rather a security presence that ¡s active than one so passive it sits on a stool and reads comics.

YMMD

Rob C

mbaginy

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 05:57:46 am »

Terry, many folks crossing the border or visiting East Berlin back then had strange encounters.  Often, we from the West, didn’t think twice about things which were strictly verboten in the East.

When I drove across the border at Check Point Charlie in the 80s, the East German guard asked me to prove the car I was driving was mine.  Initially, I didn’t understand that he wanted to see the registration (since he didn’t ask for that).  I must have given him a stupid, blank look or didn’t reply quickly enough – he guided me off to a side and his comrades inspected the entire car very closely!  I learned how to remove the rear seat cushion!

I felt very relieved to cross back to the West.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 07:23:29 am »

"Can I help you?" is what a polite and well-trained security person says when he means "please explain to me what you are doing"...

As for Check-point Charlie: a friend was on a work-exchange program in Berlin just before the wall came down. The beer was cheaper in the East, so she and her friends went often.
According to her story, in the absence of digital photography, polaroids and affordable photocopiers, there were official artists employed to sketch the face of each western visitor to ensure that no identity swapping occurred on the other side...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 07:30:43 am »

...  inspected the entire car very closely!  I learned how to remove the rear seat cushion!...

Just making sure you were not smuggling anyone.

mbaginy

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 07:46:19 am »

Just making sure you were not smuggling anyone.
Yeah, I knew better than to try pulling anything slick on those border guards.  Especially nothing as serious as aiding an escape!  I may been a little nuts, but I was never that crazy.

I recall passing the East German border to actually enter East Germany (GDR / DDR) immediately following the fall of the iron curtain.  I need a visa, a memorabilia I still possess.  The border guards suddenly acted friendly!  Two began whistling Jingle Bells (it was the season) and actually smiled upon returning my passport!!  It felt surreal; half expecting to be arrested should I return a broad grin - I just cracked the smallest glimpse of a smile and nodded.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 07:48:32 am »

"Can I help you?" is what a polite and well-trained security person says when he means "please explain to me what you are doing"...

As a non-native speaker, I always have trouble with that particular meaning of the phrase. Of course, when it is obviously a sincere offer to help, no problem. But coming from a country where "please explain to me what you are doing" is usually expressed as "what the f@&k you think you are doing  >:(", I can't help replying to "can I help you?" with a devilish smile and "oh, I don't know ...what can you do for me?"

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 09:11:52 am »

As a non-native speaker, I always have trouble with that particular meaning of the phrase. Of course, when it is obviously a sincere offer to help, no problem. But coming from a country where "please explain to me what you are doing" is usually expressed as "what the f@&k you think you are doing  >:(", I can't help replying to "can I help you?" with a devilish smile and "oh, I don't know ...what can you do for me?"

Oh Slobodan, be careful! That could be taken for sexual harassment!

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up