Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost savings buying camera gear from Canada?  (Read 3152 times)

inigosword

Cost savings buying camera gear from Canada?
« on: April 10, 2016, 10:48:28 pm »

I saw Michael wrote an article about Sony long lenses where he mentioned a cost saving tip for Americans back in September.  Basically,  to take advantage of the strength of the US dollar and buy from camera gear from Canada online.  But when I look Today,  I see the Canadian prices are much higher now.

Is there still a way to get these big savings?

From the Sony Long Lens Article:
"Be that as it may, this means that there is a wonderful arbitrage opportunity at the moment for U.S. buyers to shop in Canada. For example, the Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM II is currently USD $2,098 from B&H Photo. It can be purchased from most Canadian dealers for CDN $2,180. In US dollars that’s $1,645."

Today,  this same lens is still $2098 in the US,  but in Canada it is CDN $2600 which is roughly equivalent to $2000 at Vistek:
https://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraLenses/268084/sony-70400mm-f456-g-ssm-ii-telephoto-lens.aspx

Thanks,

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Cost savings buying camera gear from Canada?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 01:42:02 am »

A few days ago, also Canon Canada increased prices of many of their lenses by 20%.

Colorado David

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 10:59:42 am »

Duty is due upon re-entry to the U.S. for any foreign purchase beyond the allowed exemption.  I've worked assignments in Canada several times and I've always registered my kit with U.S. Customs before travel to avoid having to pay duty.  I don't know what the cost would be, but it could be substantial.

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 11:57:49 am »

Duty is due upon re-entry to the U.S. for any foreign purchase beyond the allowed exemption.

I never had any duty, etc imposed when I was buying something from Canada online from retailers with delivery to USA (UPS, etc)... now when you are driving a shiny new boxes unopened through the border then you certainly can get unlucky.

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 01:15:25 pm »

Well, I've had the customs officer staring at me while I fished through my bags for my U.S. Customs Equipment Registration/Inventory form to prove I didn't owe any duty on obviously not new in box equipment.

Lloyd Mayeda

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 01:43:44 pm »

Once (>40 years ago) when returning to Canada from an education conference in the USA, a Canadian customs officer inquired about my Nikomat camera. I showed him the blue registration card that I had filled out before I left Canada. He said that proved I had the camera when I left Canada but it did not prove how I originally imported the camera into Canada and that that camera when sold in North America would have been branded as "Nikormat"!  My father had purchased the camera for me in Japan and fortunately I had a photo copy of the original import declaration (with duty paid shown) in my camera bag!

He then asked me about my gold watch and ring. I told him I bought them from Kres & Bernard Jewellers on Bloor Street. He looked at me then asked, "Do you have a tall wife who is not Asian?" (As you may surmise, I am short and Asian.) I replied in the affirmative. He said he remembered seeing the two of us in Bernie's shop a few months ago! I expressed surprise that he would remember us. He replied that it is part of his job to be observant and especially to remember people and their faces.

inigosword

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 07:52:53 am »

Well,  according to US customs, duty is owed by the Importer on internet purchases: http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases

Whether it is enforced is another matter. As for the price advantage from buying from Canada, that seems to have been greatly reduced with 20% price increases on the Canadians themselves.  I feel sorry for our Canadian neighbors having their own camera prices rise so much so quickly but that is a natural outcome from having a weak dollar.  My guess there was a 30% savings for US customers when the Canadian dollar dropped 30% against the US dollar until Japan reacted to suddenly getting paid 30% less for their exports.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:33:13 am by inigosword »

AlterEgo

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 12:24:15 pm »

Well,  according to US customs, duty is owed by the Importer on internet purchases: http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases

yes, and my state wants, in vain, me to pay taxes on my internet purchases (that were not taxed by retailer)...

David S

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 10:18:39 am »

Being in Canada, I can't say what the issues are importing into the USA. But when I order from B&H and use their Purolator option I pay the local taxes that I would pay on a purchase made in Canada (So called HST) but never get charged duty - in many years. I think that the 'free trade' agreement covers this for me so it should cover in the opposite direction too.

Dave

Colorado David

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 10:23:45 am »

Being in Canada, I can't say what the issues are importing into the USA. But when I order from B&H and use their Purolator option I pay the local taxes that I would pay on a purchase made in Canada (So called HST) but never get charged duty - in many years. I think that the 'free trade' agreement covers this for me so it should cover in the opposite direction too.

Dave

Well, I've had the customs officer staring at me while I fished through my bags for my U.S. Customs Equipment Registration/Inventory form to prove I didn't owe any duty on obviously not new in box equipment.

This experience was in 2011, well after the implementation of NAFTA.  I have been told in no uncertain terms that unless I can prove I purchased my kit in the U.S. then I will go visit the officers who will figure out how much duty I owed.

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 05:55:29 pm »

You have to be aware that while US retailers such as B&H and Amazon have liberal return policies, this may not the case of Canadian retailers, in particular Vistek. I ended up reselling items because it was less problematic than returning them. This a is risk that has to be factored in with Canadian purchases, and in my case, I've concluded it's not worth the potential savings. Regarding duties, I've never been charged for foreign purchases.
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards
Pages: [1]   Go Up