Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement Canvas for BC Lyve  (Read 5268 times)

deanwork

Replacement Canvas for BC Lyve
« on: April 10, 2016, 11:26:57 am »

I've been using the Breathing Color Lyve canvas since it came out.

Recently BC has moved and my order has been put on hold for so long I'm going to have to move on. They charged my credit card last month when I placed the order but won't return my calls or emails. It's all really sloppy the way they are handling this move. I don't know why they didn't just hire some people to help them move. They are even having trouble tracking the online orders.

Anyway can anyone recommend a canvas that comes close to this media? I assume Hahemuhle has some very nice products, maybe Canson, I just haven't used any of them. And I'd need an appropriate varnish as well. The last BC Timeless varnish I ordered was defective, and this was the second tme.

Thanks,

Johb

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Replacement Canvas for BC Lyve
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 11:49:05 am »

I have moved from Breathing Color,s canvas several years ago. The shipping,shipping time (A week) and cost were all killers for us.
The multiple discount helped but we still saved about 25% when we moved to Lexjets products.
We have used several of Lexjets canvas but have settled on Lexjet Sunset Reserve Matte. The Reserve Bright is also a very nice canvas.
For the amount of canvas we use here the Lexjet line works for us. Use Glamor II most of the time.
They have a northeast midwest and south Florida shipping depots. We get 1 day ups from Delaware to our se Pa. location.

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 11:59:53 am »

Recently BC has moved and my order has been put on hold for so long I'm going to have to move on. They charged my credit card last month when I placed the order but won't return my calls or emails. It's all really sloppy the way they are handling this move. I don't know why they didn't just hire some people to help them move. They are even having trouble tracking the online orders.

Anyway can anyone recommend a canvas that comes close to this media? I assume Hahemuhle has some very nice products, maybe Canson, I just haven't used any of them. And I'd need an appropriate varnish as well. The last BC Timeless varnish I ordered was defective, and this was the second tme.

Thanks,

Johb

Depends exactly what aspects of the medium you want to replicate.

Texture? Plenty of options out there. Gamut and print quality? Lexjet was mentioned. Some of Hahnemuhle's offerings are pretty good as well, but I'd hesitate to use the pure cotton ones, due to their greater tendency to stretch and shrink with changing temperature and humidity. Lack of OBAs? Now your options are shrinking. Longevity? You won't find anything else there with solid test figures that match Lyve.

Not sure if there's any viable replacement for Timeless, either. Plenty of canvas varnishes out there, but few that bond as well to the substrate (Timeless literally soaks right in, if applied in thin coats) and are UV-blocking.

That's the problem with BC. They can be frustrating to deal with, but their product is so good that there are few viable, tested alternatives, particularly longevity-wise. There are products which look as good, or last as long, but few that do both.

I'd probably just roll with it and use an alternate product in the short term, returning to BC once the move's sorted out.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 12:11:10 pm »

Yeah, they're moving to Texas.  Should help out greatly with shipping times.

I spoke to them just last Friday and pleaded for a quick ship of 17x25 Pura Smooth and they said no can do - they're backed up and hopelessly behind.

I agree with Shadowblade - just wait it out and wait until they get back in the saddle.

That's what I'm having to do.   :(
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:12:38 pm »

Yea, I agree, none with pigment whiteners that look as good.

Actually Texas should be good, since I'll get it much faster than California if they ever get running again. My jobs can't wait any longer however.  I hate changing media.

I just wish they wouldn't run my credit card and then disappear like that. At the very least they should have someone managing the website everyday. I mean that's not hard to do.

john

Yeah, they're moving to Texas.  Should help out greatly with shipping times.

I spoke to them just last Friday and pleaded for a quick ship of 17x25 Pura Smooth and they said no can do - they're backed up and hopelessly behind.

I agree with Shadowblade - just wait it out and wait until they get back in the saddle.

That's what I'm having to do.   :(

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 03:32:48 pm »

Yea, I agree, none with pigment whiteners that look as good.

Actually Texas should be good, since I'll get it much faster than California if they ever get running again. My jobs can't wait any longer however.  I hate changing media.

I just wish they wouldn't run my credit card and then disappear like that. At the very least they should have someone managing the website everyday. I mean that's not hard to do.

john

Hmmmm.  I was able to get through on the phone last week John.  I spoke to Jordan.  He was honest at least and told me they just couldn't do it.  I just checked and my 44" roll of Lyve is just about 1/4 left and I don't have another.

Could you use a 36" unopened roll of Chromata White?  Might get you through in a pinch.

I've got one unopened 36" Roll - the other is opened.  I'd be fine with shipping it up there to you if it would help.

I'm just about 5 hours South of ATL just over the border in Gadsden County Florida.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

deanwork

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 04:58:00 pm »

Thanks Mark,

That's nice of you.

Unfortunately I have several 44x70 prints to do.

j

Hmmmm.  I was able to get through on the phone last week John.  I spoke to Jordan.  He was honest at least and told me they just couldn't do it.  I just checked and my 44" roll of Lyve is just about 1/4 left and I don't have another.

Could you use a 36" unopened roll of Chromata White?  Might get you through in a pinch.

I've got one unopened 36" Roll - the other is opened.  I'd be fine with shipping it up there to you if it would help.

I'm just about 5 hours South of ATL just over the border in Gadsden County Florida.

-Mark

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 08:29:37 pm »

I second Dan's Lexjet recommendation.  Excellent product and service.

aaronchan

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 01:14:11 am »

Thanks,

Johb

One thing that you can do is to place your order at Adorama rather than BC itself.
Adorama should have much better service and speed compare to BC.

Aaron

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 02:16:54 am »

One thing that you can do is to place your order at Adorama rather than BC itself.
Adorama should have much better service and speed compare to BC.

Aaron

Ordinarily this is true, Aaron.  Unfortunately they are

OUT OF STOCK

BC recommended that I try Adorama, and I called in spite of the website telling me my item was out of stock and they said they're out of a lot of the popular items as well.  Other places drop ship using Breathing Color.

The 50" x 40" is in stock however.  In a pinch you could always get that and cut the roll length down to 44".

50" x 40' LYVE - Adorama

Good thoughtb Aaron   -

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

shadowblade

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 03:28:58 am »

Is there much gamut and longevity data regarding Lexjet media?

Peter McLennan

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 10:49:41 am »

Shadowblade: No lightfastness data on Lexjet media, but I do have this anecdote.  I have several large canvases hanging in direct sunlight uncoated for several years. No visible change.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 11:14:04 am »

I am very sorry to hear this. I love their canvas and varnish and have used it exclusively for years. I ordered from them a few weeks ago and the order came in a timely manner. And when there was a minor problem with the order (one item had been omitted) I called and was on the phone with someone within a minute, and they took care of it very quickly. So let's hope your experience is a temporary glitch.

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 01:03:48 pm »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Simply Elegant  matte canvas. it's pretty comperable to Lyve and even prints nicely with the lyve profile (frustratingly it comes with nothing). the "everyday matte" looks nice but I'm liking it less and less as there's no real way to correct anything in the stretching (it's poly so adding water can't help you with spot tensioning)

I finally had it with BC between the shipping time, cost and the endless stream of seeds in my canvases.

finding a good replacement canvas seems not nearly as difficult as replacing Timeless. ITSupplies ships free over $99 and they ship FAST. Can't tell you the last time I spent less than $99 so it's basically always free shipping. They are friendly and the only bummer is that if you need something switched from ground to 2day it's an ungodly fortune to upgrade. but the ground shipping at least leaves their facility fast and mostly comes from chicago (I think) so it's quick to most everywhere.

Landscapes

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 02:48:15 pm »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Simply Elegant  matte canvas. it's pretty comperable to Lyve and even prints nicely with the lyve profile (frustratingly it comes with nothing). the "everyday matte" looks nice but I'm liking it less and less as there's no real way to correct anything in the stretching (it's poly so adding water can't help you with spot tensioning)

Agreed.  I use the Simply Elegant line as well, in addition to the Epson Exhibition Matte, depending on if they are running promotions or not.  The Epson canvas seems more firm, which I do like, even though it does still stretch nicely since it has some elastic properties.  I also agree that the Simply Elegant Everyday Matte is difficult since it doesn't stretch given that its 100% poly.  Its also thinner, so light shines through easier, which maybe isn't a problem once its on a wall, but its pretty cheap to the touch.  I would only use it for really low cost stuff.  But the regular canvas line from Simply Elegant is nice.  Its soft, much softer than the Epson, but still stretches nicely, in fact, it has even more give than the Epson, and is cheaper, if there isn't that 3 to 1 rebate for the Epson canvas.

Honestly, when it comes to canvas, I'm not sure if there is a huge difference.  Sure some have different variants of white, and there is that OBA thing, but once its sealed with a coating, can anyone really tell the difference?  So to me, what is most important is the cost, and the ease of stretching, and also a defect free surface.  I've had issues with all of them mind you, so no company seems to be any better or worse.  Sometimes you get seeds, sometimes you get a "run" in the coating, and hence, this is also where costs comes in.  If you gotta redo a print, its best that you're using a cheap canvas.

deanwork

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 05:31:49 pm »

They are in the process of moving their operation to Texas. I've been on the phone with them over the last several days because I have a job that is behind schedule. The guy still couldn't even give me an idea when they can ship anything. He doesn't know. So, I got them to refund my credit card, but that will take 3 days apparently.

john

I am very sorry to hear this. I love their canvas and varnish and have used it exclusively for years. I ordered from them a few weeks ago and the order came in a timely manner. And when there was a minor problem with the order (one item had been omitted) I called and was on the phone with someone within a minute, and they took care of it very quickly. So let's hope your experience is a temporary glitch.

shadowblade

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 09:35:40 am »

Have you managed to re-establish supply of Lyve and Timeless yet?

Just that I may soon be in need of some canvas printing, for the first time since my own printer died, and there aren't many others out there who can do a Vivera/Lyve/Timeless combination.

deanwork

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 10:11:31 am »

They are going again and people are receiving media I've heard, though I've continued to use the Lexjet premium line. It gets here in like one day from Florida and it's very nice.  I also tried the Hahnemuhle uv varnish and I like it a lot. I have received two bad batches of the Timeless and I might not ever go back to it.

John

Have you managed to re-establish supply of Lyve and Timeless yet?

Just that I may soon be in need of some canvas printing, for the first time since my own printer died, and there aren't many others out there who can do a Vivera/Lyve/Timeless combination.

shadowblade

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 10:46:12 am »

They are going again and people are receiving media I've heard, though I've continued to use the Lexjet premium line. It gets here in like one day from Florida and it's very nice.  I also tried the Hahnemuhle uv varnish and I like it a lot. I have received two bad batches of the Timeless and I might not ever go back to it.

John

Damn - any idea who else uses the combination?

Not much longevity information on the Lexjet canvas and Hahnemuhle UV varnish - at least not in a form where a direct comparison can be made against Lyve/Timeless.

deanwork

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 06:34:22 pm »

That's true about the fade tests, and why I avoided Lexjet and Frederick in the past. The new Lexjet stuff looks and performs very well and the one I used is made by Frederick and has their name right on the box. I just don't do that much canvas work that needs to be over 50 years or so it hasn't concerned me that much. I'm not worried about the Hah varnish.

Breathing Color says their tests suggest 100 years with their uv coat before noticeable changes occur. That is really not that long considering a latex acrylic varnish is applied. But then again who knows if they have any idea what they are talking about in regard to longevity. They say a lot of things.

j

Damn - any idea who else uses the combination?

Not much longevity information on the Lexjet canvas and Hahnemuhle UV varnish - at least not in a form where a direct comparison can be made against Lyve/Timeless.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up