Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade existing H lenses to 1/2000  (Read 10322 times)

hasselbladfan

Upgrade existing H lenses to 1/2000
« on: April 09, 2016, 03:50:13 am »

I am not getting any clear answer on these lens upgrades from Hasselblad.

Does anybody knows more?
How much it will cost per lens?

Otherwise, can someone ask for some more details at roadshows / presentations? Thanks.

Jlister

Re: Upgrade existing H lenses to 1/2000
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 01:54:15 pm »

My Hasselblad dealer doesn't know yet.  It could be a couple weeks he said but according to him you can upgrade the shutter . 

Conner999

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 03:15:53 pm »

I believe that all or some existing lenses can be upgraded to 1/1000 from 1/800. To get 1/2000 (again, IIRC) you need the newt gen lenses combined with an H6.   

gss

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 03:45:33 pm »

I believe that all or some existing lenses can be upgraded to 1/1000 from 1/800. To get 1/2000 (again, IIRC) you need the newt gen lenses combined with an H6.

Will the Hasselblad lenses cope with the 100mp sensor?
The Hasselblad lenses are all compatible, and if you get a new lens, then it supports the higher combined shutter speeds, (1/2000s), if you have the older lenses, then you'll get a boost in shutter speed from 1/800 to 1/1000s. They are all compatible with the 100mp sensor.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/perry-oosting-on-the-hasselblad-h6d-29166

I get the feeling from Oosting's interview that you won't need to upgrade the old lenses to get the shutter speed boost to 1/1000 sec.  He doesn't mention any upgrade possibilities, though of course that doesn't mean none exist.

NickT

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 03:47:55 pm »

Here you go:

hasselbladfan

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 04:52:44 pm »

This is becoming clearer, except the price tag.

On a Facebook message yesterday, Hasselblad was calling it repair work, which is scary. :(

The lenses need indeed an upgrade. There won't be an upgrade program as such, but technically it is possible to send the lens for replacement of the shutter as repair work and in this way upgrade the shutter. Please get in touch with the closest dealer next to you for the details. // The Hasselblad team
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 05:16:12 pm by hasselbladfan »

landscapephoto

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 05:22:48 pm »

This is becoming clearer, except the price tag.

On a Facebook message yesterday, Hasselblad was calling it repair work, which is scary. :(

The lenses need indeed an upgrade. There won't be an upgrade program as such, but technically it is possible to send the lens for replacement of the shutter as repair work and in this way upgrade the shutter. Please get in touch with the closest dealer next to you for the details. // The Hasselblad team

Hasselblad has fixed cost estimates for repair work, see: http://www.hasselblad.com/support/repairs/cost-estimates-and-fixed-service-prices

The prices for shutter repair are
Exposure unit replacement: HCD28, HC35, HC50, HC80: €395.00
Exposure unit replacement: HC100, HC120, HC50-110: €525.00
Exposure unit replacement; HC150, HC210, HC300: €595.00

I don't find these price particularly scary.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 03:28:29 am »

OK, very useful. I didn't know it existed.

If you have one lens, it is OK, but with my collection it will quickly be close to 3,000 euro. :(

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 11:11:22 am »

I just had my shutter replaced on my 35-90 last year (obviously with the 1/800 design) from Hasselblad and it was over $1300. I can't imagine doing an upgrade being much cheaper.

landscapephoto

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 12:02:21 pm »

I just had my shutter replaced on my 35-90 last year (obviously with the 1/800 design) from Hasselblad and it was over $1300.

You are not the first unsuspecting customer to have been charged a premium. Next time, point you dealer to the Hasselblad site where fixed repair prices are listed.

calindustries

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 12:29:12 pm »

You are not the first unsuspecting customer to have been charged a premium. Next time, point you dealer to the Hasselblad site where fixed repair prices are listed.

This was direct from Hasselblad USA (Hasselbron)

landscapephoto

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 01:31:16 pm »

This was direct from Hasselblad USA (Hasselbron)

Well, point them to their own website and ask them about the discrepancy, then.

fotolli

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 02:40:30 am »

I spoke to a Hasselblad official yesterday at the H6D event in Zurich and asked him about the possible lens upgrade.

He said that right now they will not perform it on old lenses, since they only have a limited quantity of the new shutters. But as soon as they run out of old stock 1/800th shutter units, every lens that comes in for a repair, will get the new shutter unit as a replacement. This might be in 6 months or later.

So maybe wait before you send in lenses and make sure to double check with your dealer or Hasselblad directly, wether you´ll receive a new type shutter.

Best,

Oliver

calindustries

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 11:07:06 am »

I spoke to a Hasselblad official yesterday at the H6D event in Zurich and asked him about the possible lens upgrade.

He said that right now they will not perform it on old lenses, since they only have a limited quantity of the new shutters. But as soon as they run out of old stock 1/800th shutter units, every lens that comes in for a repair, will get the new shutter unit as a replacement. This might be in 6 months or later.

So maybe wait before you send in lenses and make sure to double check with your dealer or Hasselblad directly, wether you´ll receive a new type shutter.

Best,

Oliver

come on rental houses! let the kids take the old stock out for the weekend and use up the old shutters........  :P :P :P

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 10:35:22 am »

FYI:
HasselbladBron (US) just quoted me $1,384.00 for a shutter replacement in the 100mm HC lens. The price went up in June 2016.

I asked about the new, improved shutters, and the reply was "we do not put in the newer exposure units used for orange dot lenses into older lenses".

BAB

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 03:48:35 pm »

Strange they must have changed their policy as of recently. If you can find it on their site they used to have a price list for the modification price to the lens ...but alas many of the statements from this company are "subject to change without notice" or never take place at all.

Using the H system cameras and lenses as they are we can be happy with the amount of work we go through to make images that are meeting our clients needs.  We can dream about potential easier workflows due to manufacturers improved hardware and firmware. I would say 90% of the upgrades are introduced based on the ability of those upgrades to produce more revenue after the initial purchase or to remedy priority complaints, bugs and for the firmware to put back what earlier versions of equipment already had. On the rare occasion they give us something that is a so called a wish list item. H company also introduces orange dot lenses and drones or to provide a better mousetrap for sales to new customers hoping also the existing customers will change out old for new. To make or offer these easy firmware changes doesn't seem to be where H heads are by my past experience.

H works on the principal for example take the HTS 1.5 if R&D from the past has showed it to be the best solution for tilt shift that it no further R&D will take place to find other design alternatives, because H is in a survival mode I guess and to H that means steady as she goes. This bugs me the most I cant swallow the idea that there is not a better alternative that could be incorporated into this H system without the 1.5x which kills the HTS for many shots.

The future of these H cameras as they are have questionable longevity, the world is changing fast and soon what was 50K will be 2K, what was once the purist way to capture images of any quality is coming to an end.

I would be redundant to post all of the WANTED or NEEDED items be it hard or soft that would bring the H companies line of current products to the top of the market. I sure what we can expect, baring a catastrophic collapse due to poor sales or funding the need for the lenses to preform at 1/2000 wont be needed with the newer camera versions.

No one system made today fits all my needs and never will, the more I spend on all the extras to get a system to sing and dance the more complicated it seem to get taking my mind further away from the goal of making great images.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

landscapephoto

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 03:37:54 pm »

H works on the principal for example take the HTS 1.5 if R&D from the past has showed it to be the best solution for tilt shift that it no further R&D will take place to find other design alternatives, because H is in a survival mode I guess and to H that means steady as she goes. This bugs me the most I cant swallow the idea that there is not a better alternative that could be incorporated into this H system without the 1.5x which kills the HTS for many shots.

The HTS is only possible because of it 1.5x focal multiplier. Optics can only do so much.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 10:10:47 pm »

The HTS works great within its intrinsic design limitations.

For those needed more movements, a tech camera and all that goes with it is the only real option.

Cheers,
Bernard

BAB

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 04:09:32 pm »

The HTS is only possible because of it 1.5x focal multiplier. Optics can only do so much.

Exactly My Point thanks
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

JJon

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 11:01:08 pm »

I just want to observe that the prices have tripled now - which seems absurd.

Hasselblad has fixed cost estimates for repair work, see: http://www.hasselblad.com/support/repairs/cost-estimates-and-fixed-service-prices

The prices for shutter repair are
Exposure unit replacement: HCD28, HC35, HC50, HC80: €395.00
Exposure unit replacement: HC100, HC120, HC50-110: €525.00
Exposure unit replacement; HC150, HC210, HC300: €595.00

I don't find these price particularly scary.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up