Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Filters for Medium Format - Lee / Nisi / Formatt?  (Read 3154 times)

MikeLast

Big Filters for Medium Format - Lee / Nisi / Formatt?
« on: April 08, 2016, 03:34:10 pm »

Wondering what everyone is using for big filter systems on their MFD? I'm looking in the 150mm wide filter area, as I'd like to cover 28, 35, 40-80 and 75-150 for the Phase, and 14-24, 24-70 and 20 f1.4 on DSLR.

I've read a few articles, although I'm suspect how many of them are sponsored posts, and am leaning to Nisi for the filters (CPL, 6-stop ND, 3-stop ND Grad, 3-stop Reverse ND Grad) and Lee for the holder system (due to the compatibility with 77mm, 95mm, 105mm threads and 28LS / 14-24 locking rings available).

Thought I'd throw it out to the experts here for any insight they have using the actual systems in the field.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Big Filters for Medium Format - Lee / Nisi / Formatt?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 07:19:57 pm »

Here are some thoughts, from my use over the years.

Phase:

28mm, you have 3 options I am aware of Cokin, Lee, and Nisi.  Lee and Nisi take the 150 x 150 2mm thick, Cokin is narrower.  The Lee holder for the 28mm is metal plastic with the new light shield very good.  The Nisi is all metal a bit heavier, by default holds 3 filters, and can fit a few others lenses, non Phase One.  I have the Nisi and so far no problems. 

You have Phase 35mm, not sure if you are looking at the 35LS or 35mmD,  The 35mm D is 77mm threaded, and you might want to just use standard filters.  If the 35LS, it's 105mm as is the 40-80mm.  Both of these lenses, can take 105mm circular filters thin or you can use the Lee system with their new 105mm wide angle ring.  These rings are huge and heavy but are not going to hurt either the 35LS or 40-80mm.  Both will need to have the hood removed when using the Lee.  The new Lee 105mm wide ring will screw over the front and cover a bit of the lens, but with the 35mm LS, it's no problem and should be fine on the 40-80. 

Phase 75-150, non LS is 77mm, again I would just use standard filters.  The 75-150LS, is a bigger lens and appears to have a larger filter thread, I have not used that lens, so can't help much there.

Nikon 14-24, I would go with the Lee SW-150, with the mount for the 14-24.  The Lee mount can stay on the lens all the time (I leave mine on) and you get a neoprene cap hold the lens cap on. 

Nikon 24-70 is 77mm again standard filters to me are the best.  Nikon 20mm 1.4 I have no experience with, only the 20mm 1.8.  But if the 20mm is threaded I still would go that way. 

Filters:

Lee, currently their large 150 x 150 grads are resin, I would stay away from these, they will warp over time and look at the lenses you would be using.  Lee does make a 105mm thin CL-PL which you might want to consider.  The Lee CL-PL is warm so not cool. 

Format Hitech Firecrest, excellent.  I have a couple of the firecrest in 150 x 150 and they are wonderful filters. Expensive, but well worth it.  You can also wait for a while and order these same filters in 105mm.  Hitech will eventually get them made, and they are also very good.  Thin can be stacked and same IR blocking glass.

Nisi, they are the new guys and I have a couple of their 150 x 150, and both seem good.  They also have a CL-PL in the 150 x 150 and it excellent.  The Nisi filters are less than Lee or Hitech and I can't see any difference in the results.  Nisi CL-PL is cool.

Here is a video I did last year showing some of this gear, mainly the Nisi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yfFfNhsr5c

If you are in the US, give 2filter.com a call. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:04:20 pm »

Mike, I happen to use most of the lenses you mention in you medium format list on my XF; I have the 28, 35, 40-80, 75-150 and a 240.

Shortly after getting the 28 and 40-80 I began looking for a filter solution hoping to have just one.  Sadly back then the only company offering a filter for the 28 was Lee (and Nisi) and no one but Cokin had a 105mm ring for the likes of the 35 and 40-80 so I was stuck using 2-separate filter systems.   

Fast-forward to a couple months ago and Lee now offers a great system for the 105mm filter thread found on the 35 and 40-80.  I have no experience using Nisi however I do with Cokin and Lee and find both excellent choices; it’s just too bad that Cokin couldn’t fit the 28.  Wanting to lighten my packing to one system I am now using Lee on all my lenses and attempting to sell my Cokin X-Pro system.

I haven’t encountered the issues that Paul has with resin however you might also wish to take a look at Singh-Ray.

Don

tcdeveau

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 12:47:41 pm »

I'm using Formatt-Hitech IRND 165mm filters with the Lucroit holder.  I really like the Lucroit holder (I use with a 95mm threaded adaptor and it's very sturdy) and now they have a version 2 with barn doors which would be immensely helpful for stray reflections.  Main disadvantage to the 165mm filters themselves is that they are very large (and $$$) and can be annoying to carry around, they can also be prone to flare and artifacts with stray light so you have to be really careful about that.  I have resin ones and they also seem to attract lots of dust while shooting compared to the 100mm filters I have, might be a material thing or a simple surface area thing.  I could potentially see where the larger resin filters could warp as Paul said but haven't experienced this yet...I don't think.  If I were to buy now, I'd get the firecrest ones which I think are glass. 

Side note, I found Lucroit to be a great company with great customer service....Formatt-Hitech not so much.  If you order Formatt-Hitech I'd do so from a retailer and make sure they're in stock.  I've been waiting for about 2-3 months for a 49mm UVIR from formatt-hitech when ship time at B&H said 7-14 days, I should cancel but haven't had time to deal with it lately.  They are also not great with communication in my experience. 
-Todd

MikeLast

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 01:41:41 pm »

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Just to clarify, the 35mm was the LS version with the 1055mm threads. And the 20mm was the Sigma ART.

Think I'll be going with the Lee SW150 II holder for it's threaded and bayonet options for pedal-hoods, and Nisi Filters.

rxchaos

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 05:45:58 pm »

I've been using FormattHitech's Firecrest 150mm graduated and graduated ND with my Hasselblad HC35mm and HCD28mm lenses. Both have a 95mm filter thread and I have a UV filter mounted on them. I used the Lucroit holder when I had 165mm filters. I was not very happy with Lucroit adapter and Format's filter holder.  The adapter snapped on the lens barrel or the metal ring of the UV filter on the lens.  It was an effort to take the filter holder off the lens.

A friend then suggested I look at Linhof Studio's XXL filter adapter for use with 150mm filters.  It worked brilliantly well.  And, FormattHitech in the UK were kind to exchange my 165mm filters for 150mm filters. The XXL filter holder mounts on the lens via a donut ring that's available in different sizes. And, its sturdy and easy to attach and remove.  Here's link to the website...
http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/The-LSL-XXL-Filter-Holder
The filter holder has 2 slots that takes Lee or Format filters.  There're no slots for thicker (4mm) filers. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up