Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first time away from nest  (Read 2801 times)

JJP

first time away from nest
« on: May 20, 2006, 09:29:34 pm »

For the first time in my life of 49 years, believe it or not, I'm away from my beloved Canada, and am presently sending this e-mail from a hotel lobby in downtown Bangkok.
However, I've got a major question.  There's much to photograph, but for # 1, how do I behave so that I don't attract "negative attention"? as far as photography is concerned....and should I leave the dslr in the camera bag and use a point and shoot instead?
When I say negative attention, I mean anything that might attract thieves or anything that might make me look as though I've got a chip on my shoulder.
thanks,
jules
JJ

Bill in WV

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 10:17:44 am »

It has been many years since I had the opportunity to travel to such places as Bangkok, but I carried my camera(s) to most of them. Thailand is a beautiful country with wonderful people as I have found most of the world when given a chance. Be alert to things around you, it helps your photography and keeps you safe. Be pleasant, respectful of their customs and traditions and you will have a wonderful time.
On equipment, I would advise this, use the good stuff but don't overload your self with so much it is a burden to carry, or hard to keep up with. Don't lay equipment down and expect it to be there, but carry and use it. Use the P&S as the one you hand to someone to take your picture in front of the "Big Bhudda."
Unless things have changed dramatically since I was in Bangkok, you are in for a wonderful time, unbelievable bargins, and amazing food. And remember, a smile is recognized around the world.

Bill in WV
Bill Evans
 Currently shooting with Canon

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 11:33:43 am »

I was in Thailand, including Bangkok, a few years ago, and I had no significant concerns about thievery (far less than in some parts of Europe and North America), so don't let that stop you from using an SLR.  I didn't do much photography of people, though, so I'm not qualified to make suggestions about how the locals take to it.  But as Bill suggests, politeness and a pleasant smile in Thailand will usually get you the same in return.

If you're still in Bangkok, there was a great little restaurant (a few years ago, anyway) a few blocks from the Mandarin Oriental Hotel called "Tongue Thai"; if you like spicy food, their "hot lime sauce beef" was especially heavenly.  Highly recommended if you're in the area.

For photography, a train trip to Ayutthaya is well worth a day trip out of Bangkok.  Beautiful old half-decrepit temples.  We took a third-class train, which cost all of about 40 cents US (equivalent), and it was a fun experience (not unpleasant in the least, as third-class trains can be in some parts of the world).

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis
Pages: [1]   Go Up