Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Merging Projects in FCP X  (Read 2227 times)

vulture

Merging Projects in FCP X
« on: April 08, 2016, 04:09:06 am »

Does anybody have an idea how to merge several projects into one project without exporting and reimporting ?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Merging Projects in FCP X
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 05:24:57 pm »

For Project to Project: Simply copy the elements from the timeline and paste them to a new timeline. You can also do this between projects in different Libraries. It helps to have matching Settings in each Project, otherwise you will face a lot of background transcoding in the new Project

vulture

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 04:22:36 pm »

Thanks Chris,

I did that before and it works.
My problem: If you have 36 projects (like now in my case) with 20-45  sight & sound elements within each, merging all of these into 1 new project (new timeline) will result in a bl....dy new job creating a new time line with positioning  all the separate sound elements of the single projects anew. That's something close to editing the whole lot again.
I was looking for a possible method to just merging all the finished projects into One new without going again into the elements of each. Didn't find it with FCP X.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 04:57:28 pm »

Strange I have never had that problem. The elements will not move relative to each other as long as the playhead is positioned at the end of each timeline when Paste is used.

If you would rather, there is a less graphically confusing method:
Select all the elements in a project's timeline and then select File/New.../ Compound Clip. This will create one fully nameable married unit with all the video, sound & effects and which in turn may be copied and pasted into a new project. One additional good feature of this is that within the newly created Project with a bunch of added Compound Clips, one can select [Right click] Open in Timeline on a single Compound Clip and it will reopen the original timeline to make adjustments - if necessary.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:58:32 pm by Chris Sanderson »

vulture

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 05:37:11 pm »

Thanks Chris,

it is working now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up