Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profiling Laptop to match Desktop Monitor (relativ  (Read 2566 times)

m021478

Profiling Laptop to match Desktop Monitor (relativ
« on: May 20, 2006, 06:42:55 pm »

I am trying find an easy (not excessively technical) way to profile my laptop's monitor (15" Powerbook Aluminum) to match as closely as possible to my Desktop's monitor (Eizo CG-220)...I use the Color Navigator software along with my Eye-One Pro colorimeter to profile my desktop's monitor, and I do have Profile Maker Pro 5.0 with which I plan to calibrate my laptop's monitor...

I wanted to know if anyone had some suggestions or advice that would allow me to calibrate my Laptop's monitor in such a way that when editing images on an upcoming trip, that when I return to view the images on my desktop monitor, there is not a tremendous difference...

I have a working knowledge of Profile Maker Pro 5.0, but certainly not an advanced one....I use it for what I have to, and that's about it...Any 'user-friendly' advice or step-by-step guidance that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Serge Cashman

Profiling Laptop to match Desktop Monitor (relativ
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 11:20:13 pm »

Although the other way around could be a more rational way to go (since laptop calibration is less flexible) you can try the following approach (essentially you need to achieve the same white point, luminance and gamma targets on both displays):

Determine your desktop's actual white point (in x and y CIE coordinates), white luminance, and gamma after your normal calibration.  Load those values as targets for your laptop.

Make sure you were able to reach those targets, since normally when software can't reach a target ("calibrate") it will just measure whatever it sees ("profile").

If your software can't give you the x and y CIE numbers for a white point then set a known WP target (like D65 or 6500K) for both displays and make sure they reach it. If you already set one of the standard targets (as opposed to Native) then just set the same for both displays.

If your laptop can't reach the luminance target of the desktop see what's the lowest your desktop can go and the highest you laptop can go and choose a compromise.

Gamma target would normally be 2.2 unless you want to experiment or for some fundamentalist reason think that 1.8 is a native Mac gamma.

<edit> Since I use Colorvision products I can't write a step-by-step guide. But the idea is the same - reach the same targets for the  main three parameters.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 11:52:36 pm by Serge Cashman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up