Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Nikon 24PC E + 1.4 doable?

(1/2) > >>

DCW:
I'm thinking of switching systems- Canon to Nikon and wondering if the 1.4 works with the 24 PC E. I shoot about 75% with this combo on a Canon 5D II . The D810 files look seductive + the Nikon 45 PC E reportedly is better than the Canon 45TS E

stevesanacore:
FYI - I understand you wanting to switch, (I did it about two years ago for a little while), I found the Nikon 24 shift lens inferior to the 24 Canon TS-E. I'm also a heavy user of the 17 TS-E so that was a problem until I eventually switched to Sony. I loved the Nikon, however it just didn't work for my needs. If Nikon would have made a new version of the 24 PC-E and offered a 17 PC-E, I would probably still be shooting with it.

Paul2660:
Can't answer the first part, but the Nikon PC-E has enough room for it to fit, just not sure if the aperture will work.

But, as Steve, mentioned, if you are coming from the Canon, TS-EII 24mm, I think you will be disappointed, at least I was.  I shot the TS-E 24mm II and 17 for the last few years I worked with Canon, and they are by far the best shift/tilt lenses for 35mm I have seen.  The Nikkor 24mm on the other hand is weak on shifts and by default is like the original Canon TS-E lenses where the shift and tilt are in a different plane.  You can get Nikon to switch this.  But optically the 24 Nikkon is just not up to the resolution of the D810.  You may find a good example out there as some claim the lens is good, I tried 3 different versions and all were soft on shifts.  Way too much $$ for the optics.  Nikon is looooong overdue on new glass in this segment. 

The 45mm PC-E is a better lens, I owned it briefly, but the focal length is one I never really use much.  It still has a lot of CA (correctable) but was stronger on shifts.  Still on a older and less modern platform than Canon.

Paul C

kers:

--- Quote from: DCW on April 07, 2016, 03:07:32 pm ---I'm thinking of switching systems- Canon to Nikon and wondering if the 1.4 works with the 24 PC E. I shoot about 75% with this combo on a Canon 5D II . The D810 files look seductive + the Nikon 45 PC E reportedly is better than the Canon 45TS E

--- End quote ---

It depends on the subject; The 24mm PCE is very good for interiors but not so good outside @infinity- it has strong field curvature.
If you mean + 1.4 converter? - i do not know- but they are not made for wide angle lenses.
I tried a 2.0 on alle of my lenses and only some ( the one Nikon suggests) are really giving better results.
The 45PCE will serve you well into 50MP territory. @ F8 you can use 90% of full shift on a d810. It is also a good macro lens.
It has a very nice and calm rendering. The 85mmPCE is even better.

Theodoros:

--- Quote from: DCW on April 07, 2016, 03:07:32 pm ---I'm thinking of switching systems- Canon to Nikon and wondering if the 1.4 works with the 24 PC E. I shoot about 75% with this combo on a Canon 5D II . The D810 files look seductive + the Nikon 45 PC E reportedly is better than the Canon 45TS E

--- End quote ---

The Nikkor 24mm PCE is visibly sharper than the Canon 24mm TSE, but has a narrower image circle... On a view camera, with no movements on the lens and MFDB used for light sensitive area, the Nikkor 24mm will just cover a 37x49mm sensor, while the Canon will cover (just) even a  54X40.5mm sensor... The Nikkor is sharper across the frame it covers and the difference is more obvious, the further away one looks towards the edges of the MFDB frame (up to 37x49mm of course)... The Nikkor is also the more flare resistant out of all 24mm lenses with sifts and tilts and additionally it is almost free of field curvature (the Samyang has lots of it, the Canon is in between)....

On a view camera, you can only use the Nikkor if you have a way to electronically control aperture (like with the Canon) because there is no way to mechanically set aperture on the new E-series of Nikkor lenses (like with Canon). Optically, the only issue with the lens, is that it exhibits significantly more chromatic aberrations than the Canon, but they are uniform and very easy to correct in post. Strangely, the aperture setting that projects the smallest image circle (the one that just covers the 37x49mm frame) is f8...

The lens works very well indeed with the Kenko DGX 1.4X TC and the same applies with the Nikkor 85mm PC/2.8 micro which I also have...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version