Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Legacy Papers - Epson SC P800  (Read 1487 times)

Rand47

Epson Legacy Papers - Epson SC P800
« on: April 07, 2016, 02:29:54 pm »

I received my sample pack of the Epson Legacy papers.  I'm very impressed.  Especially with the Baryta and Platine.  The Epson profiles are pretty darn good.  For my calibration image, very little tweaking via soft proof was required in order to get an excellent screen to print match (NEC PA271 & Solux 4700k viewing station).

I think these two new Epson papers will become my new standard "go to" papers.  Now if Epson would just get the sheets out into distribution I'll be thrilled.

By contrast the Ilford and Canson profiles for GFS, and Baryta Photographique (respectively) provided for the P800 from these mfgs are, not to put too sharp a point on it, complete crap.  Loss of saturation and a shift in hues for both.  I think I may try the Epson profiles on the Canson BP to test out the theory that these papers are one and the same.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: Epson Legacy Papers - Epson SC P800
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 04:15:23 pm »

I just tried out the sample pack as well.  I am totally in love with the Platine. I love the two different textures.  The profile was quite good from my tests. My previous go-to was Gold Fibre Silk on my 3880.  The ilford profile was pretty darn close on the 3880.  Close enough that I could live with the results on most images without having to resort to spending time doing a custom profile.

The Legacy Baryta and Platine are great.  The other two papers seem nice, but I rarely print matte. 

I went to order some...and no one seems to have any!  I wish I knew this before I ordered the sample pack! 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 05:57:30 pm »

I think I may try the Epson profiles on the Canson BP to test out the theory that these papers are one and the same.

Rand

Rand

interchanging profiles will not be a reliable test of that theory, and the theory is anyhow incorrect. Profiles may work interchangeably "well enough" in some instances without the papers being the same. This is the case for example with IGFS and Canson BP, but back when Ilford Imaging S.A. (Fribourg) was still Ilford we knew the papers were at least at one (or more) stages made in different places although they seem to be very similar;in fact the stages of manufacture - the paper base, coating and converting can all be done in different places for different paper brands. The recipes may be similar but not identical. It's a bit of complex business, the brand-name suppliers are quite secretive about their recipes and where they have their manufacturing done, whether in-house or contracted out and to whom, so lots of variables. You can't conclude that one paper is a repackaging of another unless you are on the inside or have reliable inside information to know that for fact. A working profile between two papers does not prove their origin; it only means that key attributes of the recipes are close enough to allow profile interchange.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 12:42:09 pm »

interchanging profiles will not be a reliable test of that theory

Mark,

Quite right, I know.  More hyperbole (which I'm prone to on occasion) than scientific pursuit.   ;D

In examining the Canson BP and the Epson Legacy Baryta side by side, they do appear to be slightly different.  The Epson is not as odoriferous as the Canson, the surface is a little different in texture and sheen is slightly brighter on the Epson.  I will say that the differences are very subtle.  For me, if the prices end up being comparable, I'll be using the Epson.

And, I'm in love with the Platine. Wonderful stuff.  It will be a very image dependent choice between the two.  I had been using Museo Silver Rag previously for this paper type, but will be moving to the Epson Platine.

Once again, thanks for all your help and insight.  It is much appreciated.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 12:46:11 pm »

You are welcome Rand, and I agree - the most important factor in deciding what paper to use, apart from money, is which paper one thinks best suits and portrays the photograph.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up