Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All this talk of the 70-80 mp rumor  (Read 3196 times)

Colorado David

All this talk of the 70-80 mp rumor
« on: April 06, 2016, 04:03:07 pm »

I can't help but second guess myself because of this rumor.  I have pre-ordered a Nikon D500 and have been looking forward to it. Now I stop and wonder if I should wait if there will be a very high megapixel Nikon body announced this year.  I know it would be a body with a different purpose than the D500.  I just can't help but wonder. I bought the D800 and then bought the D810.  Although I use both bodies, I kind of feel like I have gotten the value for the money out of the D800.  I think the D810 is way better than the D800 even though at the time I bought it I was really impressed with the image quality of the D800.  Surely I'm not the only Nikon shooter having these doubts.  I know hindsight is always perfect, but I look back at a handful of purchases that haven't delivered the value I thought they would even after doing my due diligence. Is anyone else having these thoughts?  Thanks.

chez

Re: All this talk of the 70-80 mp rumor
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 07:39:39 pm »

There is always something better on the horizon and marketing will ensure you will feel inadequate with your current gear. That is how the game is played. Now you either block these thoughts out and enjoy your equipment until it does not deliver what you need, or you lose and succumb to the endless need for latest greatest society. The choice is yours to make.

dwswager

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 09:02:56 pm »

I can't help but second guess myself because of this rumor.  I have pre-ordered a Nikon D500 and have been looking forward to it. Now I stop and wonder if I should wait if there will be a very high megapixel Nikon body announced this year.  I know it would be a body with a different purpose than the D500.  I just can't help but wonder. I bought the D800 and then bought the D810.  Although I use both bodies, I kind of feel like I have gotten the value for the money out of the D800.  I think the D810 is way better than the D800 even though at the time I bought it I was really impressed with the image quality of the D800.  Surely I'm not the only Nikon shooter having these doubts.  I know hindsight is always perfect, but I look back at a handful of purchases that haven't delivered the value I thought they would even after doing my due diligence. Is anyone else having these thoughts?  Thanks.

Buyer's remorse.  I have a preorder for a D500 and my concern is that a D510 or D500s or something will follow in short order.  My problem is that I really need (want) it for sports now and waiting a year or two is lost opportunity.

As to your situation, I have to say you either need a DX body with 10fps or you don't.  If you want a DX body, don't need the high speed operation/focus/fps then get thee a D7200.  It is a spectacular value and gives high quality as long as you don't mind the Dial Interface.  I shot a D7100 for 1.5 years and it was great.  Then you only spent $1000 and are better positioned to go for a 50 or higher MP FX camera if you want it.

Colorado David

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 09:34:59 pm »

It's not really buyer's remorse. I'm in a situation where competitive advantage is critical. The next camera body must be 4K video capable. I've skipped other upgrades before without feeling competitively compromised, but our market is getting rather more competitive right now.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 01:30:31 am »

Hi,

Newer is mostly better…

I would guess that the 70-80 mp rumour applies to a full frame 24x36 mm high end camera, say D5X or D900.

Keep in mind, that rumour is a rumour… To me it seems to be a big step up from 42MP, but future will show what the future holds.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Bo Dez

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 05:53:40 am »

I think anyone buying a decent camera is best to wait to Photokina. There is seemingly a lot to wait for.

dwswager

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 07:35:39 am »

It's not really buyer's remorse. I'm in a situation where competitive advantage is critical. The next camera body must be 4K video capable. I've skipped other upgrades before without feeling competitively compromised, but our market is getting rather more competitive right now.

Never considered video was the requirement.  Not good at it; don't do it.  Enjoy it from people that do it well.

As to Erik's comments, yes newer bodies generally will be better laden with features and functionality.  Don't expect a D5x with that kind of pixel count though.  I suspect potentially a D900/D900x maybe.  The D900 at 36-50MP and the D900x at much higher.  Though if I had to guess, it is more likely a D820 and a D900.  Nikon will view the over 50MP as more a MF replacement type camera rather than a simple extension of existing bodies.

Nikon generally has a mindset and then works within that rather than simply chasing market whims.  After years, I was proven right that Nikon really, really, didn't want there to exist a pro level DX Nikon body.  The D500 is a camera Nikon did not want to produce. It violated their mindset and is why it took some seven years to appear.

RobertJ

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 10:44:33 am »

I'm looking forward to after NAB and Photokina to see if there's anything from Canon/Nikon/Sony that really interests me.

Does Nikon have to wait for Sony to come out with a certain sensor before they use it?  Or can they design, say, a 42-70MP sensor and tell Sony to make it, and there's no problem?  That's one thing I'm concerned about with Nikon.  Canon on the other hand, can do whatever they want.  They already have 120MP prototypes.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 11:37:41 am »

Nikon can and will design their own chips, like the 20MP in the D5, or the 16MP in the D4/D4s/Df many more before those. If they wait for Sony, is because Sony told them about the development of said chips. Nikon will probably get early access to prototypes to develop a platform around them and be ready when the final sensor designs hit the streets.
Instagram (updated often)

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 04:41:00 pm »

Lots of photogs are currently enjoying shooting cameras wth 42 and 50 mp. Why not 70 or 80?
Only a year ago these numbers were perplexing, staggering. As April '16, these numbers don't scare anyone but those claiming 4/3's is enough.  :)

Hi,

Newer is mostly better…

I would guess that the 70-80 mp rumour applies to a full frame 24x36 mm high end camera, say D5X or D900.

Keep in mind, that rumour is a rumour… To me it seems to be a big step up from 42MP, but future will show what the future holds.

Best regards
Erik

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 12:26:18 am »

Hi,

I just feel development goes in small steps. The Sony A6300 is 24 MP, and scaling up that sensor to full frame would yield about 54 MP.

Best regards
Erik

Lots of photogs are currently enjoying shooting cameras wth 42 and 50 mp. Why not 70 or 80?
Only a year ago these numbers were perplexing, staggering. As April '16, these numbers don't scare anyone but those claiming 4/3's is enough.  :)
Erik Kaffehr

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 06:54:47 am »

As April '16, these numbers don't scare anyone but those claiming 4/3's is enough.  :)

I'd say not even them. The OM-D E-M5 mk.II can do 64MP in multishot RAW, and the PEN-F can do 80MP.
Instagram (updated often)

dwswager

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 07:42:10 am »

Does Nikon have to wait for Sony to come out with a certain sensor before they use it?  Or can they design, say, a 42-70MP sensor and tell Sony to make it, and there's no problem?  That's one thing I'm concerned about with Nikon.  Canon on the other hand, can do whatever they want.  They already have 120MP prototypes.

That was my concern back when the D3 was release, but it has proven so far not an issue, especially since it is not an exclusive arrangement where they are solely dependent on what Sony develops.  And Nikon did not abandon sensor development, but work partnerships with Sony and Toshiba.  So far, it has moved them from significantly behind Canon to significantly ahead. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up