Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe at it again  (Read 22834 times)

chez

Re: Adobe at it again
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2016, 08:45:12 pm »

Why must everything be a zero sum game with you? Why is your view a constant all or nothing attitude?

Why is it you seem to think that EVERY user of Adobe products must march in lockstep with your opinion or hit the bricks?

Are other users not allowed to have views that don't align exactly with your own?

Butch...the thing you don't seem to get is you stated your views umpteen times over and over. We get it...you are not happy with progress on some modules in LR. You said it...now it's time to move on.

Repeating your unhappiness over and over and stamping your feet, holding your breath on this forum won't change anything.

chez

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2016, 08:47:03 pm »

Any fatigue or discomfort you are experiencing is purely self inflicted.

Butch, I'm going to leave it at that. As someone said in another forum...you always need to get the last word in. Well that door is open, have at her.

ButchM

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2016, 08:49:31 pm »

Butch...the thing you don't seem to get is you stated your views umpteen times over and over. We get it...you are not happy with progress on some modules in LR. You said it...now it's time to move on.

Repeating your unhappiness over and over and stamping your feet, holding your breath on this forum won't change anything.

Yes I have repeated my views ... and you have not?

There may be foot stomping and fit throwing ... those threats have not come from me. It is someone else who expresses himself in that manner but the name escapes me  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2016, 08:54:39 pm »

Solution:

ButchM

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2016, 09:02:58 pm »

Solution:

Seems your 'solution' is about as effective in enhancing a workflow as some offerings from Adobe. Maybe humorous but mostly inconsequential.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2016, 09:24:04 pm »

Seems your 'solution' is about as effective in enhancing a workflow as some offerings from Adobe. Maybe humorous but mostly inconsequential.
At least Slobodan used an Adobe.png  ;D
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

stingray

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 05:58:36 am »

In the end, workarounds are just more work. I would really prefer that Adobe could see their way to offering a more acceptable solution within Lightroom.

There are massive workflow benefits to be had if Adobe would only polish / finish what they have. My main point is that Adobe does a great job opening the foundations and building the structure of the house, but they leave so many rooms unfinished before they move to the next house.

Getting back to some specifics.....

I use Windows for my main workstation and Mac for travel. I am most familiar with Powerpoint, but occasionally use Keynote. I would prefer to use Slideshow within Lr.

It is possible to drag and drop images from a folder to Keynote so that they each appear on individual slides. I found the following description on the internet. I just tried it out and it worked for me on my MacAir.

http://keynoteuser.com/2009/03/02/batching-photos-into-slides-in-keynote/

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2016, 07:13:41 am »

I would prefer to use Slideshow within Lr.

And what specifically prevents you doing so? After they recently added multiple sound tracks and pan/zoom, for the vast bulk of users the only obvious omission is a timeline or some other way to vary individual slides' duration. Maybe 4K output should be there, maybe export to Premiere Pro too (same method as Clip?), but beyond those we're probably getting into individual wants - and you can never please everyone.

ButchM

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 10:07:58 am »

There are massive workflow benefits to be had if Adobe would only polish / finish what they have. My main point is that Adobe does a great job opening the foundations and building the structure of the house, but they leave so many rooms unfinished before they move to the next house.

Exactly. They seem content to stop short of offering a more refined result. Which is perplexing because they don't seem to place similar limitations elsewhere.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2016, 10:37:13 am »

And what specifically prevents you doing so? After they recently added multiple sound tracks and pan/zoom, for the vast bulk of users the only obvious omission is a timeline or some other way to vary individual slides' duration.
The pan/zoom is a joke! Got FotoMagico? That's the way to allow users to control pan/zoom. And since the LR team did such a half baked job on that functionality, I now have to decide if upgrading to FotoMagico 5 is worthwhile since the current version is head and shoulders more useful than LR 6 or 'hope' the LR team talks time off coding for iPads and their silly LR Mobile 'product' to see how decent slideshow software actually works.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ButchM

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2016, 10:40:15 am »

And what specifically prevents you doing so? After they recently added multiple sound tracks and pan/zoom, for the vast bulk of users the only obvious omission is a timeline or some other way to vary individual slides' duration. Maybe 4K output should be there, maybe export to Premiere Pro too (same method as Clip?), but beyond those we're probably getting into individual wants - and you can never please everyone.

Well, that timeline oversight is a huge barrier. Without it ... how does 4k capability even factor in? A plain vanilla slideshow is even more so at higher resolution. Plus, if you consider, prior to 2006 very few photographers knew they wanted Lightroom either. Let alone what feature sets they could foresee in future development. Maybe a lot of users aren't aware of what they want in the Slideshow module because they consider it an exercise in futility. Maybe if it were more robust, it would become much more popular if it were no longer treated as a cursory attempt at a solution.

You fully understand what was possible in Aperture as far as slideshows are concerned. It was not an exorbitant or luxurious coding process to offer such features, yet the only limitation was on the individual user's imagination. I can't possibly see how similar functionality could be considered unnecessary individual wants. Though, we did discover that Adobe's interpretation of user metrics was considerably off the mark with the v6.2 fiasco ... it could be understandable that they really don't have an accurate grasp on what users really do desire.

Indeed Adobe added multiple music tracks ... but no method to craft them into a coherent flow to match the mood of the specific images for a particular show. No method to customize the duration or segments of the music the user would prefer to use. It's either all or nothing. That's not creative in the least.

Likewise they added pan and zoom ... but no method to customize what is the focal point content of the image at hand, if it isn't dead-center, oh, well ... it is a one-size-fits-all solution to match the you-can-use-any-transition-you-desire-as-long-as-it-is-disolve.

I'm sure it would be nice to have the ability to export to Premier Pro ... but I would guess the number of Lightroom users that also have PPCC installed is a much smaller group and could fall into that niche individual wants group - and as you say ... they can't please everyone.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:48:36 am by ButchM »

ButchM

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2016, 10:45:07 am »

I now have to decide if upgrading to FotoMagico 5 is worthwhile since the current version is head and shoulders more useful than LR 6 or 'hope' the LR team talks time off coding for iPads and their silly LR Mobile 'product' to see how decent slideshow software actually works.

Even comparing Clip to other options for tablet created slideshows is still very limiting and restrictive. I bought a kick @$$ app for the iPad over 4 years ago for $1.99 that offers many more options.

I don't begrudge Adobe venturing forth in mobile ... but it would be nice if they could keep up with some kid wearing pajamas coding in his parent's basement.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 11:12:16 am by ButchM »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2016, 11:13:45 am »

You fully understand what was possible in Aperture as far as slideshows are concerned.....

And that's why I suggested timeline is the one thing that's missing. It amazed / disappointed me when it wasn't added.

Likewise they added pad and zoom ... but no method to customize what is the focal point content of the image at hand, if it isn't dead-center, oh, well ... it is a one-size-fits-all solution to match the you-can-use-any-transition-you-desire-as-long-as-it-is-disolve.

In fact, you can drag each image to centre it how you want. This works best with the Zoom to Fill Frame option enabled.

I'm not so worried about extra transitions. Don't encourage more mosaic or wipe effects, please!

I'm sure it would be nice to have the ability to export to Premier Pro ... but I would guess the number of Lightroom users that also have PPCC installed is a much smaller group and could fall into that niche individual wants group - and as you say ... they can't please everyone.

I agree, it's a niche, but rather than add individual wants I feel Lightroom should be offering routes to high end tools - eg slideshow to PP, Book and Print to ID - like it does to Photoshop. In the case of Slideshow, there is already a contorted route to PremierePro via the LrMobile iOS app, then to the Premiere Clip app which does have a very fiddly timeline, and finally by sharing the project to Premiere Pro. What this actually does is store the project in your CC cloud drive as an xml file which lists filenames, durations etc, a set of JPEGs, and any sound files. You just open this in PP. Generating these project files can just-about be done by a plugin.

stingray

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2016, 12:23:05 pm »

Here are some of my thoughts specific to Lr Slideshow.

Cons.
1. Regularly hangs when I try preview or play. I have tried with several different folders of images and made sure I do not have large files. (Maybe my installation, but nothing else hangs my pc).  No error messages. No other Lr module hangs.
2. Cannot use left mouse click to move to next previous button. When I left click it reverts back to the grid of slides / images. I often do not want viewers to see the sequence of slides, especially the next few slides.
3. Right mouse click has no options. Should allow me the option to go to previous / first / last /pause. With this feature I would not need to use the keyboard.
4. Allow space bar to advance to next slide (biggest key >>> most frequent action)
5. No slide notes (nice to have).
6. Cannot export to run as independent slideshow (nice to have). I may not always be able to use my laptop for a presentation and not practical to install Lightroom and my catelog on the presentation laptop.
7. Export (image, text, video as editable objects) to InDesign, Powerpoint, Keynote and other Adobe / Non Adobe apps.   This would be a powerful extension.

However, it looks to me that the Slideshow module has been well engineered and has a lot of potential. Here are some of the things which I regard as positives.

Pros
1. The Text Overlay feature is superb. I do like that I can place metadata where I want relative to the slide or image, with the fonts that I select.   Who ever developed this feature deserves major kudos. This feature should be added to the Print module (and dare I say it ...the Book Module)
2. Use of collections and templates is useful and well done.
3. Great that I do not have to create intermediate files.
4. Works on Mac & Pc.
5. Export to Pdf (useful for handouts or a backup manual slideshow). Export to video may be useful to some, but not to me.

What is so frustrating is the fact that Adobe get so close to good, but just do not finish the job.

ButchM

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2016, 12:35:07 pm »

In fact, you can drag each image to centre it how you want. This works best with the Zoom to Fill Frame option enabled.

Good to know, but still not as freely creative as setting start and end points that have become the norm in almost every other app that offers the feature.

I'm not so worried about extra transitions. Don't encourage more mosaic or wipe effects, please!

I agree that too many transitions are not the best answer ... but it would be nice to have more than one and also be able to control the duration of the transition.

I agree, it's a niche, but rather than add individual wants I feel Lightroom should be offering routes to high end tools - eg slideshow to PP, Book and Print to ID - like it does to Photoshop.

Yes, if they had added that sort of functionality years ago, when they should have, I'd wager there would be far more full package subscribers than there are today. I very likely would have been among that group if they had.

In the case of Slideshow, there is already a contorted route to PremierePro via the LrMobile iOS app, then to the Premiere Clip app which does have a very fiddly timeline, and finally by sharing the project to Premiere Pro. What this actually does is store the project in your CC cloud drive as an xml file which lists filenames, durations etc, a set of JPEGs, and any sound files. You just open this in PP. Generating these project files can just-about be done by a plugin.

That's amazingly efficient, huh?

I simply publish jpegs to my local drive and import into FCP X directly from that folder ... I must be doing something wrong ...  ;)

ButchM

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2016, 12:39:49 pm »

3. Great that I do not have to create intermediate files.

Which was once the prime factor of consideration in Lr development to answer workflow needs.

What is so frustrating is the fact that Adobe get so close to good, but just do not finish the job.

Yes, it's like spending years training to run a world class marathon ... then on race day, you pull up and leave the course voluntarily at mile 26 because something else caught your attention.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2016, 01:32:25 pm »

That's amazingly efficient, huh?

I simply publish jpegs to my local drive and import into FCP X directly from that folder ... I must be doing something wrong ...  ;)

One can import JPEGs into PP in the same way, but this other method would convert other aspects of the Lr slideshow.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2016, 01:32:56 pm »

Squirrel!
 :)

ButchM

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2016, 01:45:10 pm »

One can import JPEGs into PP in the same way, but this other method would convert other aspects of the Lr slideshow.

My point was ... if I am going to end up in FCP X or PP ... why bother with converting aspects of the lesser capable feature set of the Lr Slideshow module? To me it's a redundancy that increases my workload ... not adding efficiency to my workflow.

It would be of much more value to me if I would not have to invoke any other outside solution at all.

chez

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2016, 03:19:48 pm »

The pan/zoom is a joke! Got FotoMagico? That's the way to allow users to control pan/zoom. And since the LR team did such a half baked job on that functionality, I now have to decide if upgrading to FotoMagico 5 is worthwhile since the current version is head and shoulders more useful than LR 6 or 'hope' the LR team talks time off coding for iPads and their silly LR Mobile 'product' to see how decent slideshow software actually works.

Your hope is for Adobe to spend more time on slideshow modules...my hope is they sound more resources on the mobile integration. Slideshows I can do with many 3rd party solutions...mobile integration not so much.

The future of this product or in fact the entire industry is not slideshows...but possibly mobile as everything has headed that way.

I'd be just as happy if they killed of their book and slideshow modules as I can do both of these without the need of LR.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up