Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Older MFDB with high "shutter" count  (Read 2140 times)

Tsbphoto

Older MFDB with high "shutter" count
« on: April 04, 2016, 11:29:11 pm »

i know the backs dont actually have any sort of shutter and mechanical moving parts with in them but i keep seing the shot count listed in adds for used backs?    is there something that is more prone to fail on a heavily used back?   like lets say a P65+ with 135,924 shot count?   what are the risks?

thanks!

chapel

Re: Older MFDB with high "shutter" count
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:39:10 pm »

My Leaf Aptus II has 456000 and no issues...so far.

Greg

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:39:37 pm »

Hi,

My guess is that such a back would have been used for volume shooting in studio, so it would have much less mechanical than a camera that has been used extensively in the field.

My P45+ arrived in very good shape with something like 45 000 exposures, had it for 33 months and 4500 exposures but it has some small signs of wear now. So I would not think a lot of exposures matter at all on the back.

Best regards
Erik

i know the backs dont actually have any sort of shutter and mechanical moving parts with in them but i keep seing the shot count listed in adds for used backs?    is there something that is more prone to fail on a heavily used back?   like lets say a P65+ with 135,924 shot count?   what are the risks?

thanks!
Erik Kaffehr

Chris Livsey

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 02:56:46 am »

P45+ on 410,000 plus here, which is why it was "reasonable" to buy. Obviously studio use, no outer cosmetic marks, flawless, AFAIK, performance. I reckon if it's shot that many without complaint not much wrong with it  ;D
Used always buy a lens that looks well used it's the mint copy that's sat in the case unused you should be wary of, good glass gets used.

Christoph B.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 06:05:58 am »

I don't think it matter at all. There's no wear and tear - the only thing that happens to old backs are hot pixels due to EMR. But that can happen to every sensor, no matter how often it's been used. And CaptueOne removes those hotpixels anyway (worst case scenario: you put the slider for single pixel noise removal up a notch).

My back had close to 100 000 exposures, no issues with the sensor (apart from dust/residue between the sensor and the IR filter but that has nothing to do with the amount of exposures I think).

I think it's more a practise of common courtesy to state the amount of exposures taken with a back.

Now with a "compact" DSLR it's a different story, here the shutter can wear out and the whole mechanism may have to be exchanged, same story with MF camera bodies. Backs have 0 moving parts (with the exception of certain Leaf backs) so the only thing that could happen is an electrical error but I think that's less likely on an old "tested" back than on a new one.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:24:20 am by C+B »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 12:11:39 pm »

Hi,

Buttons can wear out, but I don't think there is a lot of button usage in studio photography.

Best regards
Erik

I don't think it matter at all. There's no wear and tear - the only thing that happens to old backs are hot pixels due to EMR. But that can happen to every sensor, no matter how often it's been used. And CaptueOne removes those hotpixels anyway (worst case scenario: you put the slider for single pixel noise removal up a notch).

My back had close to 100 000 exposures, no issues with the sensor (apart from dust/residue between the sensor and the IR filter but that has nothing to do with the amount of exposures I think).

I think it's more a practise of common courtesy to state the amount of exposures taken with a back.

Now with a "compact" DSLR it's a different story, here the shutter can wear out and the whole mechanism may have to be exchanged, same story with MF camera bodies. Backs have 0 moving parts (with the exception of certain Leaf backs) so the only thing that could happen is an electrical error but I think that's less likely on an old "tested" back than on a new one.
Erik Kaffehr

Christoph B.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 12:14:21 pm »

Buttons don't wear out when you take a picture.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 07:01:37 pm »

Warranty, condition, support all matter a great deal.
Shutter count does not directly mean anything at all.

Shutter count can serve as an imperfect proxy for age and amount of use. For instance a back with 100 shots is less likely to have a firewire port that is worn out from being plugged in and out than a back with 700,000 shots. But even that is not for certain; if an overzealous assistant plugged in the firewire backwards on the back with a 100 shots and maybe the back with 700,000 was being used in an industrial application where the firewire port was never touched.

Buying a refurbished digital back with an official factory warranty from a dealer is a good compromise between the price of a new kit and the risk of buying used from a private seller. It also ensures new accessories like batteries, charger, and cables where a used sale generally means used/worn accessories.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 08:45:05 pm »

Doug,

Of course everything you say makes sense.

On a point of information, there have been some issues with the "new" lead-free solder growing "whiskers" so on-time is now again a factor in assessing the reliability of electronics.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1279227&page_number=3

Edmund

Warranty, condition, support all matter a great deal.
Shutter count does not directly mean anything at all.

Shutter count can serve as an imperfect proxy for age and amount of use. For instance a back with 100 shots is less likely to have a firewire port that is worn out from being plugged in and out than a back with 700,000 shots. But even that is not for certain; if an overzealous assistant plugged in the firewire backwards on the back with a 100 shots and maybe the back with 700,000 was being used in an industrial application where the firewire port was never touched.

Buying a refurbished digital back with an official factory warranty from a dealer is a good compromise between the price of a new kit and the risk of buying used from a private seller. It also ensures new accessories like batteries, charger, and cables where a used sale generally means used/worn accessories.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up