Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: high top waterproof hiking boot for coastal work  (Read 5990 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
high top waterproof hiking boot for coastal work
« on: April 03, 2016, 12:35:34 pm »

As posted earlier, I will be shooting along coastal Oregon and Washington.

While I own a lot of great hiking boots, I need a pair of higher top waterproof boots. So far I've found Bogs, Buckman boot ($199) or Muck Boots, Edgewater II ($129). The edgewater II has an upper made of neoprene. So if I were to be overcome by a wave, it would allow the water to escape down to the point of the rubber portion of the boot.

Here is a list of my requirements.

1. Waterproof
2. Won't be too hot in moderate temperatures (nothing worse than having sweaty feet all day)
3. GOOD SUPPORT for hiking along the coast (over rock, etc.)
4. Comfortable for hours of walking

Suggestions are welcome.
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: high top waterproof hiking boot for coastal work
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 01:22:44 pm »

Personally, I'd give up on the waterproof bit. I think both Teva & Keen do footwear specifically designed for things such as coasteering or rafting, where stablity on wet rock takes precedence over anything else. It's certainly what I'd go for, outside of winter - then I'd avoid paddling in the shallows.

bellimages

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 01:55:07 pm »

Personally, I'd give up on the waterproof bit. I think both Teva & Keen do footwear specifically designed for things such as coasteering or rafting, where stablity on wet rock takes precedence over anything else. It's certainly what I'd go for, outside of winter - then I'd avoid paddling in the shallows.

I won't be doing any paddling (unfortunately). And I will be there in the fall when cold and rain hit. That said, maybe you're idea is still a good one. But I'm not sure just how cold it gets there in November
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:58:18 pm by bellimages »

Jay Kaplan

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 02:40:41 pm »

Have you tried REI or Cabela? Both have a large inventory that may suite your requirement.

Jay

stamper

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 04:02:59 am »

I have a pair of Muck boots which I find very comfortable to walk in which have a good sole. Make sure they are a size too big in order to wear thick socks.

happypuppy

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 12:00:41 pm »

Go with rubber boats with lug soles. If you do go with a hiking style make sure you condition the outside with a good natural conditioner as it keeps the water away. Even Vaseline will work

Stay away from gortex lined boots. It was designed as a body wear product not a footwear product. It works by absorbing the water like a sponge. So avoid unless you like cold feet.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 12:46:33 pm »

I recently got some new boots, Oboz Bridger BDry's which I'm happy with. First hike was through the jungle in Honduras and they did great and kept me dry. Nice ankle support but not too stiff and they break in pretty fast. They are waterproof until water comes over the tops so they may not meet your needs if you plan to submerge them and need to seal the tops. Not too hot in the tropics either.
I had to get them before the trip (literally on my way out of town) because I pulled out my old boots and the soles had dry rotted over the winter. I was bracing myself for some misery because I have an old foot injury and I didn't know how the break in was going to be but it was a pleasant surprise to wear them.
A little more than your budget at $165 but a great pair of boots!
-MattB

Colorado David

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 05:16:02 pm »

I wear these boots almost every day. http://www.asolo-usa.com/men/backpacking-footwear-for-men/tps-520-gv-evo-men-s-chestnut.html

I also really like these boots.  They are very comfortable for rubber boot and are leather lined. http://www.orvis.com/p/le-chameau-leather-lined-mens-chasseur/207z
They are not inexpensive, but they're worth it.  They are completely waterproof even though they zip up since they have a rubber gusset.

I have a pair of rubber foot neoprene hip waders.  The foot is fitted and comfortable.  They were designed for hiking in the Alaskan moist tundra, but I'm afraid they aren't made any longer.  I hope mine last a long time.

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 06:06:47 pm »

Not exactly what you're looking for but these Neos overboots worked well for me in Antarctica.  They go over your normal shoes/boots and are about knee height.

http://www.gearcor.com/brands/neos-overshoes

pluton

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 11:42:34 pm »

I find all GoreTex and other "waterproof" footwear to be hot and sweaty as soon as the ambient temperature rises above about 60-65ºF.  It's not a miracle, it's an annoyance. YMMV, as always.
If you are going to have your feet in submerged in cold water, neoprene "water shoes" might be an option.
As has already been mentioned, all waterproof boots become sealed bags of water once liquid water enters the top.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 09:30:12 am »

If there's an REI near you, go and look (and ask). Their sales people have always been very knowledgeable in my experience. Hiking boots should not be bought thru the mail if it can be avoided.

duane_bolland

• flexiblelightphotography.com
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 10:53:33 am »

I have a pair of expensive Bogs rubber boots.  They are waterproof, but fail at your other three criteria.  I hardly ever wear them because they are so uncomfortable.  But here's an even more important point: The Bogs are probably one of the "higher top waterproof" boots you'll ever find (short of waders), and still I have managed to flood them more than once.  If you are working in the surf, nothing short of waders will keep you dry. 

I have a pair of Oboz like MattBurt shared and like them a lot, but they definitely aren't "higher top waterproof".  I'm a big fan of Oboz.

As others have noted, an alternative to trying to stay dry is to embrace the wet.  I'm exceedingly happy with my Keen Arroyo II Sandals.  I'm on my second pair now after using the first pair for several years.  They are definitely not waterproof, but you can wear them with socks (to keep your feet warmer) and they will be quite comfortable for hours and offer good support and protection.  They also do well while working in the garage, mowing the lawn, floating down rivers, and sitting around the campfire.

The best solution of all is to buy good boots with the full intention of flooding them.  I've done this many times.  The downside is that they can take days to dry out afterward.  Every option has trade offs.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 02:33:03 am »

I have a pair of canvas boots that is used when doing rock work, have used them for years for fishing also. They dry quickly ( not waterproof obviously) are cheap and grip well. We get them from the army surplus stores as they are standard issue for the South African police.

Colorado David

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 11:42:58 pm »

. . . . and still I have managed to flood them more than once.  If you are working in the surf, nothing short of waders will keep you dry.

This reminded me of a funny story.  One autumn a friend and colleague, Lon, and I were working, shooting video of black bears fishing for salmon in the creeks of the islands in southeast Alaska near Prince of Wales Island.  We would boat up to the mouth of a creek, tie up the boat, and then walk upstream to find a likely spot to set up.  If you arrive at low tide, you pull the boat up as far on the bank as you can.  If you arrive at high tide, you tie up the boat with a long rope, have the anchor balance on the gunwales, push the boat out as far as you can and jerk the tether to drop the anchor.  It works pretty well most of the time. Often we would arrive near low tide and would leave with the tide much higher.  Some of the rocky stream-beds are pretty slick.  Really, really slick.  Since black bears have such good sense of smell, we would wear waders and wade up stream to our position.  If you've ever been to southeast Alaska, it rains, . . . a lot, . . . and often, so we also wore rain gear most of the time.  On day in question we had waded up stream, parked ourselves on the root knot of a washed out tree and waited.  We had one very brief bear encounter that day, a yearling bear that couldn't get away from us fast enough. This was late August or early September.  When we decided to head back to the boat, the tide had caused the stream to rise pretty significantly.  Still it was not over the tops of my hip waders.  I'm bringing up the rear as we wade downstream. Lon wades faster than I do.  About halfway back, I'm hurrying and I lose my footing on a large slick rock and tip over backwards. I was carrying a small backpack, but had the video camera in my hands in case of a bear encounter. As I fall over backwards, I hold the camera up as high as I can. I ship water in my waders and get quite a bit of water up my back under my rain gear.  It is cold water as you can imagine.  I open my mouth to let Lon know I fallen, but all that comes out is AAaaaauugh. Did I mention the water was cold? Lon turns around and says, "Is the camera okay?"  I've kidded him often about that since. His response is always that he knew I was wearing merino wool clothes and would be fine, but the camera was another story. So, . . . since then if I think I might wade anywhere near the tops of my hippers, I wear chest wader and carry a wading staff.

bellimages

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 03:36:30 pm »

After a ton of research, and reading all of your posts, I've decided to take along a pair of water shoes (such as the Chaco Outcross, or Simm's Streamtread sandals). If it's warm enough, I'll wear these (possibly with merino wool socks). Additionally I will have my Salomon 4D II GTX hiking boots. I mention this because of the many many hiking boots I've tried, these are the best by a long shot. No break-in what so ever; very comfortable; great lateral support. They are expensive, but worth it. A boot will always be your most important hiking gear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up