Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 Nozzle Check Puzzle  (Read 868 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Epson 4900 Nozzle Check Puzzle
« on: April 02, 2016, 08:52:54 am »

I have been working to restore an older Epson 4900. When I received the unit all the tanks (Cone) were filled with piezoflush. The printer would only print three colors (pink stripes) on a ten-color purge page. I ran a number of cleanings, to no avail, and then took the head and selector assembly out of the unit and cleaned them thoroughly. I ran an ink charge and started getting better results. After several more #3 cleanings the 10-color purge page prints very well - there is no banding. If I print a single color purge page, it also prints well without any banding and I can do this on every color.

Here's the issue: The nozzle check only shows three colors printing, Y, LM and LC, and they are perfect. All the other colors are 100% missing. I would assume that if I still had clogging issues on the other seven channels (I don't think I do based on the purge pages) I would get squares with bad checks in them. I don't. The other positions are entirely missing.

Other than a 100% clogged head, which I know I don't have because I can print the purge pages, what would cause a nozzle check color to not print? Is there software in the printer that could be damaged? What about reloading or finding another version of the print driver? I should note that I get the same result whether I print from the print driver screen or from the printer's menu.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:03:43 am by Remo Nonaz »
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Re: Epson 4900 Nozzle Check Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 09:50:21 am »

Well, I'm back to square one. Advise from another forum stated that the apparent revived colors may just be combinations getting printed from the three working colors - apparently a purge page is not a reliable test for this. A reliable test is to print the calibration page out of QTR, which I did. This test showed only the yellow, light cyan and light magenta channels to be present. These are the ones that work in the nozzle test and they are the original ones that worked before I started trying to clean up the machine.

Now I don't have any idea of where the problem is. The head seems to be clean and capable of passing ink on all colors, though I know that this does not mean it is functional. Since I am not getting any functionality on the other seven colors, I'm inclined to think that there is something other than the head that is at fault. I've run enough head cleaning and ink charges to know that more of those are not going to fix the problem.

What are my next steps to figure this out?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up