Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .002% of the article's readers order CD  (Read 11136 times)

paulbk

.002% of the article's readers order CD
« on: May 18, 2006, 07:17:35 pm »

re: That's 0.002% of the article's readers who are interested in seeing for themselves how these image files compare. Fascinating.

My guess regarding the low order rate for the CD reflects the difference between curiosity and buy research. Your data CD is gold for anyone seriously considering buying any of the systems tested. Since I have no plans to buy in the near term, while very interesting, it’s purely a technical curiosity for me.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 07:56:16 pm »

How many people are interested in seeing the resolution differences between the 3 canon DSLR's (tests between the canon bodies abound on the net) and some Phase One (only) backs?
Possibly those interested in moving from a 1Ds/1Ds mkII to a medium format camera with one of the 3 P1 backs or from a P25 to a P30/45, and what percentage of a group of 100,000 people on the net would that be?
Especially as the majority of people wanting to make that level of investment would be interested in making their own subjective tests, camera in hand, with their usual usage styles and subjects. This would be even more important for those still shooting film in medium or large format.
It was an interesting test, but the real world relevance vis a vis the majority of people would be relatively low hence the ordering figures, which I do not think warrant the less than complimentary implication made by that statement.

paulbk

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 08:37:05 pm »

Also... I've played around enough with various RAW convert methods to know the test, as posted, says as much about the RAW conversion software as it does about the camera & lens combo.

Clearly the RAW files are needed for any meaningful evaluation.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 09:26:24 pm »

I'll probably buy a copy.  Morbid curiosity.  I'm a little concerned that I might buy a 5D after looking at it.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 11:50:11 pm »

Possibly those interested in moving from a 1Ds/1Ds mkII to a medium format camera with one of the 3 P1 backs or from a P25 to a P30/45, and what percentage of a group of 100,000 people on the net would that be?
Especially as the majority of people wanting to make that level of investment would be interested in making their own subjective tests, camera in hand, with their usual usage styles and subjects. This would be even more important for those still shooting film in medium or large format.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65960\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And they would definitely want to be able to compare PhaseOne to Aptus.

Don't get me wrong, I found the test most interesting, and I might order a DVD out of curiosity, but I wouldn't find it useful as a decision support before a purchase since it is mono-brand.

Besides, I don't believe that the stats take into account people visiting the page more than once, do they? I do personnally probably account for 4 or 5 visits... That's how interested I am.

Regards,
Bernard
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 11:52:41 pm by BernardLanguillier »

GerardK

• http://www.kingma.nu
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 02:36:33 am »

"But curiously, less than 200 people have bothered to purchase the available disk containing raw files."

Tut tut, Michael, I think that's uncalled for. I was one of the first to ask you your policy for existing (renewing) subscribers, as you were unclear about that. Then you said automatic renewals were going to be discontinued. Subsequently I contacted Steve to ask until when my subscription is valid so that I know which renewal to order. So I'm definitely interested, but you could have been clearer up front, that might have produced more orders from existing customers. And as any businessman knows, it is a dangerous game to p*ss off existing customers.

Gerard Kingma
www.kingma.nu

michael

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 08:59:42 am »

I'm sorry that you found the wording unclear. Only a small number of people did.

I don't believe that the low pick up rate on the disk has anything to do with this issue, which only affects a handful of people.

Michael

Mark_Tucker

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 09:41:03 am »

I'll probably buy a copy.  Morbid curiosity.  I'm a little concerned that I might buy a 5D after looking at it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65970\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My own personal opinion, after having done SEVERAL of these kinds of tests on my own, is the the ONLY person that gains any real benefit are the people in the room, actually doing the testing. Not being there is like someone telling you, days later, what a movie was like.

There is also something about testing gear in the same conditions that you shoot. Using your lighting, your tripod, your methods, etc. Yes, it might be somewhat useful to see resolution, but resolution is only a tiny tiny fraction of the overall picture, when it comes to really deciding what back is best for anyone. Or what camera.

Would a painter look at a "test painting" and look at how the paint flowed onto the canvas, and say, "Yes, that's the brush for me?"

I think that these tests are very useful, but only for those four guys. I'm sure they learned a lot.

But for anyone else to buy a DVD of this test, and then write a check for thirty grand, well, I'm not sure. He'd be much better off, getting in his car, or getting on a plane, and go a dealer that sells both Phase and Leaf, and test them both, with his own lighting, in their place, side by side. And none of this is even factoring in the software issue, and that's where Phase excels, and Leaf is far behind. And to be honest, Canon is far ahead of BOTH of them.

Yes, I did this test: P25 vs 1ds2 vs 5D, in my own garage. I also did another: P25 vs Aptus 22. While the medium format files were indeed richer, the advantage over Canon was very slight, if any, when factoring in the entire equation.

My vote is for Photokina, and Canon. Save your thirty grand.

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 12:04:27 pm »

Maybe not many people bought the cd, because maybe it is no longer about megapixels. I am already very tired of technical digital issues, and maybe a lot of photographers feel the same way. The digital frenzy is coming to an end. It is no longer a novelty, and almost any camera on the market today is simply built and designed to higher standards than most photographers can make out of them. I feel it is best to invest one's scarce time in using the gear, than in counting the screws it was built with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up