Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Expanding dynamic range  (Read 22502 times)

John Sheehy

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 06:48:21 pm »

Bill,

Would you have any insights about the reason for this response, G>B>R ?

The way I understand it: the sensor, without any filters over it, is most sensitive to red and NIR.  The NIR filter cuts NIR and a lot of reds, too, making the red weakest.  Blue is already weaker than green because of the sensor's preference for the red end of the spectrum, and the dyes used in the CFA filters have some influence, as well.

These ratios are pretty universal amongst RGB CFA cameras.

Green is considered a reference, blue is generally corrected about 0.95 to 1.5, and red is generally corrected about 1.6 to 2.25 (for daylight).

bjanes

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 06:59:20 pm »

If the cameras had a real RAW RGB histogram, you could do this in the field with a set of filters.

Digital shadows are generally a murky abyss; anything you can do to get all three channels as high as possible is going to increase DR, and decrease readout noise, including horizontal and vertical banding artifacts.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you want something close to a raw histogram with Nikon cameras, just load a white balance into the camera that sets the multipliers to unity--Iliah Borg has such a WB already on his web site:

[a href=\"http://www.pochtar.com/uniwb.nwb]http://www.pochtar.com/uniwb.nwb[/url]

With this WB, the RGB histograms will reflect the raw channels with the gamma correction and tone curve applied. You then set the correct white balance in Nikon Capture. With Adobe Camera Raw, you must use the WB eyedropper rather than a preset WB, since when ACR sees multipliers of unity it thinks it is dealing with a double exposure. You could try setting the red and blue multipliers to slightly less than unity.

John Sheehy

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 07:04:11 pm »

I slip on the magenta filter. The red channel is unaffected because of course it lets through all the red light, but the blue channel is now worse and the green channel is much worse. I can't increase exposure because the red channel is already as far to the right as it can be without clipping. The filter is not only useless in these circumstances, if I were to use it it would actually decrease dynamic range.

That's why you use a screw-on, or drop-in filter, instead of embedding it inside the camera.

A magenta (or reddish-magenta) is optimal for white highlights (white because of any combination of lighting and subject color).  For magenta or reddish highlights, the natural color balance of the camera will be more ideal.  However, many camera meters are more sensitive to the red end of the spectrum, so you will most likely not expose to the right in the RAW, anyway, going by the camera's meter.  This goes for the magenta filer as well; you need about +1/2 to +2/3 more EC with it (or set the external meter to a lower ISO to compensate).

John Sheehy

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2006, 07:11:24 pm »

If you want something close to a raw histogram with Nikon cameras, just load a white balance into the camera that sets the multipliers to unity--Iliah Borg has such a WB already on his web site:

Well, I don't have a Nikon so that won't help.

There are still issues, too, I would imagine; the differences between an sRGB and a RAW histogram are not just WB and gamma; the JPEG upon which the histogram is based boosts certain colors, like red flowers.  The red in many red flowers gets boosted significantly; the flowers can still clip in the JPEG and histogram, even if there are no WB multipliers, while the RAW red channel is still intact.  At least that is what happens with Canon JPEGs.

John Sheehy

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2006, 07:16:24 pm »

I believe it is because there are twice as many green pixels in the sensor as red or blue.

Actually, that has nothing to do with it.  The number of pixels of each color only affects the resolution in that color channel; all three color planes are filled in through interpolation.

Now, if you viewed a diagram of a bayer sensor, or a visualization of RAW data that was the bayer diagram with modulated luminance, then it would appear mostly green for that reason, but the issue here addressed by the filters is one of individual pixel sensitivities, based on color filter.

John Sheehy

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2006, 07:23:37 pm »

A very easy example to understand is the situation with a tungsten lighted scene. The uncorrected image will have a orange color cast, since the spectrum of the light has much red and little blue. So the blue channel will be exposed purely, the green a bit more and the red a lot more.

Most incandescent lights I've looked at the RAW data from, have almost equal red and green levels for the white square in the GM color checker.  Blue is about 1.5 to 2 stops weaker.  That's with a Canon, with similar sensitivities as bjanes mentions above.

bjanes

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2006, 08:37:46 pm »

Most incandescent lights I've looked at the RAW data from, have almost equal red and green levels for the white square in the GM color checker.  Blue is about 1.5 to 2 stops weaker.  That's with a Canon, with similar sensitivities as bjanes mentions above.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66060\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I looked at a raw conversion with DCRaw on a color checker exposed at 3000K with the Nikon D70 and household bulbs and observed the following values for RGB: 200, 243, 86. If you expose to the right, noise in the blue channel at high ISO is not bad, but with any underexposure, noise increases dramatically. In skin tones, irregular yellow blotches appear where the noise causes the blue channel to drop out--yellow is the complement of blue. Nonetheless, Dennis does make a good point.

An 80A filter would balance the channels, but there is not usually enough light to use the filter and still have decent shutter speed.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 08:47:11 pm by bjanes »

bjanes

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2006, 08:59:27 pm »

Well, I don't have a Nikon so that won't help.

There are still issues, too, I would imagine; the differences between an sRGB and a RAW histogram are not just WB and gamma; the JPEG upon which the histogram is based boosts certain colors, like red flowers.  The red in many red flowers gets boosted significantly; the flowers can still clip in the JPEG and histogram, even if there are no WB multipliers, while the RAW red channel is still intact.  At least that is what happens with Canon JPEGs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66058\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm sure there is a way to devise a similar white balance for the Canon cameras, but I do not know how to do it.

John is correct about the in camera color processing affecting the histogram with the UniWB. With the Nikon, I think that Mode II is most neutral. One should use normal saturation. Stay away from Mode III (the Velvia mode)

Ray

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 09:25:35 pm »

Ray, how do you meter a scene, if you want to measure only the light, and want to bann all reflective issues and influences of colors to the meter? If you would use a grey card, then the magenta filter method would be fine with you.

Dennis,
I take pictures principally because I enjoy the extroverted activity of getting around and capturing the moment. I don't even own an external light meter. I have no commissions to produce catalogues of Dulux paints. Nor am I a fashion photographer who might worry about getting the precise shade and hue of a particular dress just right. Color accuracy for me is only important as far as it's believable and/or pleasing. A bit of exaggeration is fine.

I rely almost exclusively upon my camera's light meter and feed back from the camera's RGB histogram. Since the histogram is based upon a jpeg conversion, I've changed its behaviour by setting the contrast to a minimum in landscape (picture style) mode. This has no bearing on the RAW data of course, but it helps me to get a clearer idea of a true exposure to the right when the scene has a high DR. A small amount of highlight warning (blinking) in the brightest part of the sky, for example, is just right. This contrast setting in landscape mode, however, is not appropriate for other types of photography, such as use of flash indoors. The histogram then seems to produce a false impression that more exposure is required. I need to do more experimentation with different contrast settings to get a better idea of which setting produces the most accurate histogram feed-back under what conditions.

Colors of the subject play no role at all. It's all about adopting different sensitivities of the channels of a certain sensor to a certain light (temperature). A very easy example to understand is the situation with a tungsten lighted scene. The uncorrected image will have a orange color cast, since the spectrum of the light has much red and little blue. So the blue channel will be exposed purely, the green a bit more and the red a lot more. If you want to handle this problem with software based white balance only, you have to increase the values of the blue channel exessively and the green ones a bit less to match the red channel values in order to get a neutral grey, right? So you will introduce much noise in the final image. Therefore, it would be a way better idea, to balance the light before it reaches the sensor, eg using a blue 80B filter.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say the colors of the subject play no role at all, but I see what you are getting at and it seems to be in line with what I've been saying. You are recommending use of a filter to suit the lighting conditions of the external scene, which sounds perfectly sensible to me.

What I'm dubious about is the practice of choosing a filter to suit the internal characteristics of the camera's RGB channels, without reference to the lighting conditions of the external scene. In your above example you've described a DR benefit resulting from use of a blue filter to suppress the warm (yellowish) glow of tungsten lighting. Couple that with a magenta filter to correct the imbalance of the camera's RGB channels and you have, in effect, an even stronger blue filter which I guess you might call purple, if there's still some red coming through.

The above proposed method is all the same, it balances light to the sensors needs. This balancing has nothing to do with colors in the scene, like green foliage or red skyes. It only has to do with the light itself and the sensor. So you'd need a different setup for each sensor and light temperature. If that's worth the hassle, is an individual question.

I'm having trouble with the logic of the above statement. Unless you are pointing the camera directly at a light source, the camera is recording light that has been reflected off your subject and which has therefore been 'modified' in some way by the 'light reflecting' characteristics of the subject. A 'light reflecting' characteristic of a surface is usually described as its 'color'. Instead of fitting a blue filter to reduce the amount of red and green entering the camera, you could paint the subject an appropriate color which could have the same effect (if it was done properly). Of course that's totally impractical in most situations. I just mention it to illustrate the point that the light entering the camera is an interaction between the nature of the light source and the nature of the surface reflecting the light. It therefore doesn't seem to be true to say This balancing has nothing to do with colors in the scene, like green foliage or red skyes.

The other question is, if you want the light to be balanced. A beautifill colored sunset will loose everything, if you match the WB exactly to the temperature of light. So sometimes a color cast is exactly what you want.

Now we're getting to the crux of the matter. Of course you don't necessarily want to correct every scene on the basis that any light source that is not neutral is bad, and a sunset is a perfect example.

Consider the following image, taken with a 5D without use of filters of any sort. I'm struggling to understand how a magenta filter would have helped this scene. As far as I see, such a filter would merely make the blues and greens noisier, pushing them more to the left of the histogram. As it is, the scene is way beyond the dynamic range capabilities of the camera so any filter that could have increased the DR of the camera would have been appreciated.

I've also included the imaage in the ACR window showing the settings and histogram plus an enlargement of the histogram to help some of you experts advise me on appropriate use of filters in this situation.

[attachment=582:attachment]                    [attachment=583:attachment]            [attachment=584:attachment]

But as a matter of principle, the filter method is absolutely correct. It's always a better idea, to balance the light before it hits the sensor, rather than balancing it afterwords by software.

I agree with the principle, but I'm dubious about the practice.

ps. That's odd. The shadow detail of the above processed image is better in PS than it is here. I'm including a lightened version.

[attachment=588:attachment]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 10:05:50 pm by Ray »

John Sheehy

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2006, 09:46:22 pm »

The other question is, if you want the light to be balanced. A beautifill colored sunset will loose everything, if you match the WB exactly to the temperature of light. So sometimes a color cast is exactly what you want.

But as a matter of principle, the filter method is absolutely correct. It's always a better idea, to balance the light before it hits the sensor, rather than balancing it afterwords by software.

The actual recording of RAW data doesn't have to be filtered for the WB or desired WB, though, for optimum quality.  You can always darken channels in the conversion, to bring them where you want them.  The best recording is had when the filtration treats each color channel like three B&W exposures that you are trying to each expose to the RAW right.

Of course, this is idealistic, as many RAW converters are incapable of rendering filtered images properly.  ACR just shrugs its shoulders when I click the WB tool on some "white" things with strong filters, and ignores my attempt.  Each program has its own limits.  I really don't see why RAW converters don't sport totally linear exposure compensation, or free white-balance, in a sort of "pre-gain" stage, because there is nothing simpler than white-balancing and scaling (exposure compensating) linear RAW data.  Subtract the blackpoint, and multiply/divide.

A CC30M works fine in ACR, though, in daylight.  It is not a perfect correction, though.  I have put filters over my 550EX flash that were almost a perfect RAW WB for the white GM CC square, but it seemed to be just barely outside what ACR would balance, at least a couple versions back, anyway.

John Sheehy

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2006, 09:51:46 pm »

I looked at a raw conversion with DCRaw

Are you the guy I was talking to about the problems with DCRAW in the old Galbraith forum?  I've noticed that DCRAW has sprouted a new unaltered RAW command line option, "-D".  Did you have something to do with that?

Still has a bit of a problem, though.  PS can't import the output of DCRAW without posterizing it.  When DCRAW -s set to output PSD files, it really should scale the data so that PS reads it in as exactly 0 to 4095 (that may simply mean multiply by two, or might have some gaps).  If you are friendly with D. Coffin, you might suggest that to him.

bjanes

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2006, 10:33:39 pm »

I rely almost exclusively upon my camera's light meter and feed back from the camera's RGB histogram. Since the histogram is based upon a jpeg conversion, I've changed its behaviour by setting the contrast to a minimum in landscape (picture style) mode.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nice shot, Ray. Since the white balance affects the color histograms, one must take the white balance into consideration when interpreting them. I assume the WB was daylight. The red channel appears blown, but since the red multiplier is nearly 1.92, the channel may not actually be blown. The actual raw red histogram would be shifted one stop to the left.  However, I doubt that you could push exposure significantly without blowing the red channel. It would be helpful if you could post the raw file or the raw histogram from a DCRaw conversion.

Consider the following image, taken with a 5D without use of filters of any sort. I'm struggling to understand how a magenta filter would have helped this scene. As far as I see, such a filter would merely make the blues and greens noisier, pushing them more to the left of the histogram. As it is, the scene is way beyond the dynamic range capabilities of the camera so any filter that could have increased the DR of the camera would have been appreciated.

I've also included the imaage in the ACR window showing the settings and histogram plus an enlargement of the histogram to help some of you experts advise me on appropriate use of filters in this situation.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66075\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't consider myself an expert in the use of filters in this situation, since I've never used them in this context and my reasoning is purely theoretical. However, I will venture a few comments to stimulate discussion. Since the magenta filter gives only about 2/3 stop more dynamic range, it obviously would not solve your problem.

Examination of the individual channels shows that shadow noise is actually worst in the red, and unfortunately you can't increase exposure much in that channel. Surprisingly, the blue channel appears relatively clean. The green channel has noise in between the other two channels.

It would seem to me that a cyan filter might be of some use by holding back some of the red and allowing you to increase overall exposure and balance the channels so as to improve DR and noise in the blue and green. Unfortunately, without raw histograms it would be difficult to judge what strength of filter to use or whether some green needs to be held back as well in order to balance the channels.

Since filters would give less than 1 stop additional dynamic range and the scene may be fleeting, I do not think they would be a practical solution.

Another way to increase dynamic range is to use ISO 100. The effect of ISO on DR is shown in a table on Roger Clark's web site.

[a href=\"http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/evaluation-1d2/index.html]http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/eva...-1d2/index.html[/url]

Ray

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2006, 11:04:15 pm »

For magenta or reddish highlights, the natural color balance of the camera will be more ideal.  However, many camera meters are more sensitive to the red end of the spectrum, so you will most likely not expose to the right in the RAW, anyway, going by the camera's meter.  [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66057\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi! John,
Are you a refugee from the RG forum, or do you still post there? I find I have enough to keep me occupied here, so haven't subscribed.

The two DSLRs I've used most, up to date, are the Canon D60 and 5D. The 20D was a mistake. If I'd known the 5D was on its way, I wouldn't have bought it.

Both the D60 and the 5D appear to have a weak blue channel which clips before green. This results in a cyan shift in the brighter parts of a blue sky when overdoing it with ETTR. The 5D is not as bad as the D60 in this respect, so I would deduce that the blue channel in the 5D is slightly stronger (higher DR in relation to the green channel) than in the D60. Right?

The red channel in the D60 was at least as bad as the blue channel, showing a similar effect with the yellow glow of sunsets. The red component of yellow would clip first, leaving a predominance of green. Green in a sunset? Not on.

This is not the case with the 5D. The red channel appears to be at least as strong as the green channel. If I were to use a filter on the 5D to equalise the sensitivity of the channels, it would surely be a blue filter to bring both the red and green channels down to the level of the weaker blue channel.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 11:08:53 pm by Ray »

Ray

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2006, 11:25:11 pm »

Another implication of this use of filters to equalise the camera's channels, which I can't quite fathom, is the 'lowest common denominator' effect.

Bjanes has come up with a multiplier of 1.92 to get the sensitivity of the red channel equal to that of the green. (Probably applies to the D60 or 10D, but not the 5D). Sensitivity has a lot to do with dynamic range. If you effectively 'disable' the brighter channels to correspond with the 'noisier' channels, you have effectively reduced dynamic range in relation to a completely neutral or B&W scene, or an imaginary scene where every color and hue consists of equal parts of R,G&B.

In other words, with a D60 for example, if I want to convert a color image to B&W, I will get the best dynamic range by using just the green channel. Is this not the case?

bjanes

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2006, 08:55:46 am »

Another implication of this use of filters to equalise the camera's channels, which I can't quite fathom, is the 'lowest common denominator' effect.

Bjanes has come up with a multiplier of 1.92 to get the sensitivity of the red channel equal to that of the green. (Probably applies to the D60 or 10D, but not the 5D). Sensitivity has a lot to do with dynamic range. If you effectively 'disable' the brighter channels to correspond with the 'noisier' channels, you have effectively reduced dynamic range in relation to a completely neutral or B&W scene, or an imaginary scene where every color and hue consists of equal parts of R,G&B.

In other words, with a D60 for example, if I want to convert a color image to B&W, I will get the best dynamic range by using just the green channel. Is this not the case?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know this thread is quite long and convoluted, but if you had read my posts, the multiplier of 1.92 is for the Canon EOS 1D Mark II. The multipliers do vary somewhat between camera models, but tend to be in the same ball park range. For example, see Julia Borg's data for Nikons:

[a href=\"http://www.pochtar.com/NikonWhiteBalanceCoeffs.htm]http://www.pochtar.com/NikonWhiteBalanceCoeffs.htm[/url]

To white balance, one makes the output of the channels equal for white and grays (e.g. the neutral squares of the color checker). One does not equalize non-neutral channels except for special purposes, in which case the image is no longer white balanced. If you want to determine the blue multiplier for your 5D, you would have to examine the linear raw values of the channels when a neutral target is exposed under daylight conditions.

Dynamic range is defined as linear full well (electrons)/read noise (electrons). In a daylight scene with full ETTR and daylight white balance, only the green channel gets to full well. The red and blue channels will be less than full well unless you have used balancing filters and will have less effective DR. You would get the best DR by using the green channel, but the tones would be rather strange. Just look at the green channel of your images in Photoshop. It would best to equalize the channels with filters.

bjanes

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2006, 09:17:45 am »

Are you the guy I was talking to about the problems with DCRAW in the old Galbraith forum?  I've noticed that DCRAW has sprouted a new unaltered RAW command line option, "-D".  Did you have something to do with that?

Still has a bit of a problem, though.  PS can't import the output of DCRAW without posterizing it.  When DCRAW -s set to output PSD files, it really should scale the data so that PS reads it in as exactly 0 to 4095 (that may simply mean multiply by two, or might have some gaps).  If you are friendly with D. Coffin, you might suggest that to him.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66080\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John,

Yes, I do recall having a discussion with you on this topic. I think it was concerning white balance, and you did bring up some good points.

The -s switch if for Fuji cameras and is ignored for other cameras. Did you mean the -3 switch? I did try the -D switch, but the data are not scaled for photoshop display and appear quite dark. I usually use the -m -n -3 switches in the older version, which multiply the raw values by 16, converting 12 bit notation to 16 bit. I think that there are still some scaling problems and some clipping occurs. Julia Borg advises the -b 0.25 switch, but the output is too dark for my taste and you would have to multiply the pixel value by 4. I have not really used the latest version that much.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 10:19:25 am by bjanes »

Dennis

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2006, 12:17:36 pm »

Most incandescent lights I've looked at the RAW data from, have almost equal red and green levels for the white square in the GM color checker.  Blue is about 1.5 to 2 stops weaker.
...following values for RGB: 200, 243, 86.
Thanks for correction and clarification. But I was dealing more with the general issue, than with exact weighting of each cahnnel. But as orange is a mixture of red and green, it makes perfect sense, that the green channel is more up to the red, rather than to the blue.

In your above example you've described a DR benefit resulting from use of a blue filter to suppress the warm (yellowish) glow of tungsten lighting. Couple that with a magenta filter to correct the imbalance of the camera's RGB channels and you have, in effect, an even stronger blue filter which I guess you might call purple, if there's still some red coming through.
STOP! I think, here is a misunderstanding! I did not mean to stack the magenta filter to the blue filter. There is ONE light temperatur (maybe with cast in the purple-green-axis? But let's ignore that for simplification), where a specific sensor captures exactly equal values in all three channels in the Raw file. For example in the lower picture of this posting from bjanes, you'd have a value of (180,180,180)*. Now, according to the color of your light source, you have to filter it with a special CC filter. A blue one for Tungsten light and a magenta one for day light, simplified. I did not mean to use the magenta filter in any case as kinda standard filter.

I'm having trouble with the logic of the above statement. Unless you are pointing the camera directly at a light source, the camera is recording light that has been reflected off your subject and which has therefore been 'modified' in some way by the 'light reflecting' characteristics of the subject
Correctly, and that's exactly what you want to eliminate, if you measure the light using a grey card.

Instead of fitting a blue filter to reduce the amount of red and green entering the camera, you could paint the subject an appropriate color which could have the same effect (if it was done properly).
No, that wouldn't change the light, only the object color. What you want to do, is to calibrate the sensor to the light color, so that it renders any object perfectly w/o regarding its color. That's what a part of CM is about: To neutralize the influence of different light colors to get to the 'real' colors. Again, if that is necessary or not, depends on personal or professional needs.

It therefore doesn't seem to be true to say This balancing has nothing to do with colors in the scene, like green foliage or red skyes.
An imagier works perfectly, if a grey card would give equal amounts of load in each colored pixel, right? So, a grey is a grey, and a red is a red. But that's not the case, as you can see in bjanes pictures: For the sensor, a grey is a greenish color with unequal amounts of 'light' in each channel. And so is a red not a red, but biased in the same way. So, you now want to balance the light, in order to get equal amount of load in each photo site. That's, where a CC filter comes in: If it's the right color, it just blocks the right amount of light of the accordingly color, so that each photo site get's the same amount of light. If this is done, a grey is a grey and a red is a red again. It does not depend on obejct color, but only on light color. This is the balancing, I am talking about.

Consider the following image, taken with a 5D without use of filters of any sort. I'm struggling to understand how a magenta filter would have helped this scene.
A nice picture! But strange blue? Anyway, you didn't get the point: A magenta filter would be useful in daylight condition at about 5500 K or so. This scene here has a much lower light temperature, more like 3500 K or so (just guessing). So you'd need another filter (more like the 80B), if you ever wanted to correct the light here, what's clearly not the matter, since the scene 'lives' from the wonderful warm light.

As it is, the scene is way beyond the dynamic range capabilities of the camera so any filter that could have increased the DR of the camera would have been appreciated.
You can see the problem with this image in your ACR conversion: Massive and ugly noise banding. This is due to the fact, that the blue channel is poorly exposed, and so has to be amplified strongly, which brings up the noise. To get the perfect result, you had to do the following: Measure the light temperature** and placing the accordingly filter in front of the lens. Of course, the exposure time might then come to an unacceptable range - bad luck! But if it worked, you had a 'perfectly' balanced pictured without the beautiful warm cast, more like a boring day light picture. But that picture would suffer much less noise problems. What you had to do now, is to change the color temperature in ACR, the get the beautiful warm color cast again. And that's, were the ultimate trick is: Now, you have to reduce the blue channel. This is not critical regarding noise. Before, you had to bring up the blue channel, and this is very critical with noise!

So I agree perfectly with you, that it's very impractical to meter the light temperature each time and choose the right filter out of hundreds. But I think something like "use a 80C filter for sunsets" could bring the sensor data in the right place, and would be very practicable. It's up to you to verify, if this could be useful for your work.

Best Regards,
Dennis.

*  Wouldn't it be interesting, to figure out this light temperature? Has it anybody done so far?

** It actually is very simple to measure the light temperature with a digital camera: You do it every time you use a manual WB. But unfortunately, the camera only uses the computed settings for internal Raw conversion, rather than showing the values on the display. Or is there meanwhile a camera, which does it?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 12:18:06 pm by Dennis »
Best Regards

Dennis.

bjanes

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2006, 12:39:51 pm »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I usually use daylight color balance for sunsets to preserve the red glow, but Bruce Fraser had another suggestion on the Adobe Camera Raw forum. In that thread sunset colors were also being discussed:

[a href=\"http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7@@.3bb6a85c.3bbfb49a/3]http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7@...a85c.3bbfb49a/3[/url]

He suggests illuminating a MacBeth color checker with indirect sunlight and use R4C2 for white balance. If you don't have the CC with you, he suggested taking a reading from whitecaps (assuming you are on the sea shore). The method is counterintuitive to me, but worth a try. Bruce is not into magenta filters.

Ray

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2006, 08:10:41 am »

It would seem to me that a cyan filter might be of some use by holding back some of the red and allowing you to increase overall exposure and balance the channels so as to improve DR and noise in the blue and green. Unfortunately, without raw histograms it would be difficult to judge what strength of filter to use or whether some green needs to be held back as well in order to balance the channels.

Well, I would agree with that analysis, bjanes. This illustrates the point I've been trying to make all along. A cyan filter has roughly the opposite effect of a magenta filter. As I see it, if it were possible to select the appropriate strength of cyan filter, (and without a RAW histogram and a bag full of filters to choose from, that would be extremely difficult, but with a lot of experimentation one might gain sufficient experience to get a 'feel' for the right filter), then a cyan filter would definitely allow a reduction in noise in the blue and green channels, with increased exposure, but not in the red channel if that channel is already exposed to the right.

However, there are no pure reds in the image, as far as I know. Everything is a mixture of red, green and blue, so if the noise is reduced in just 2 of the 3 channels, a worthwhile reduction of noise should be noticeable in the whole of the shadow area, which is substantial in this image.

However, I accept that this is an extreme example and there would be many situations where use of a magenta filter would help dynamic range, but it would be a varying result; sometimes perhaps a 2/3 stop increase; sometimes perhaps a 1/3rd stop increase and sometimes no increase at all.

It seems to me that to get the maximum dynamic range that is possible from a sensor, one could theoretically choose the appropriate filter or combination of filters so that there will always be 'some' wells in all three channels completly full (and overflowing in the case of specral highlights). The custom WB should then contain the ratios by which certain channels need be reduced to get the required  balance and temperature.

If I've understood this process, it should be possible to stick any type of color filter in front of the lens, whether it's appropriate or not, and make a custom WB that will bring things back in line during conversion. If this is true, then the filter that is the most appropriate should be the one that allows the greatest increase in exposure without suppressing the weakest channel (in terms of the light entering the lens), and without clipping any of the channels.

Ray

Expanding dynamic range
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2006, 08:55:14 am »

STOP! I think, here is a misunderstanding! I did not mean to stack the magenta filter to the blue filter. There is ONE light temperatur (maybe with cast in the purple-green-axis? But let's ignore that for simplification), where a specific sensor captures exactly equal values in all three channels in the Raw file.

Dennis,
Whatever the WB and whatever the tempaerature of the light source, the sensor cannot capture equal (maximum) values in all 3 channels unless equal (maximum)values of each primary color are passing through the lens. If I'm photographing a room, for example, where eveything in it is a shade of purple (another extreme example to illustrate my point) there's no chance the sensor will captures equal values in the green channel. In this situation you would need to use a green filter to suppress the red and blue light passing through the lens, take a shot (with green filter on) of a white  (or grey) card which is illuminated by the light source rather than the reflection from the purple surfaces in the room, in order to get your custom WB. You could then increase exposure till the small amount of green in the scene reaches a maximum value without clipping. By doing this, you would preserve the levels of red and blue which you would have got without green filter, but reduce noise of the small amount of green that is in the scene quite substantially. Is this not the case?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up